Time to stop being so thin?

Options
Hello Everyone,

This past year has been a long and challenging path in my health and overall fitness. I lost a pile of weight when I switched to healthier choices and became more active, and loved how I felt and how I looked. But then people started to say I looked too scrawny. I didn't think so at first, after all, I still had some stomach fat and some cute shorts I wanted to fit into were still a little too tight. Recently I decided that I might want to gain a few pounds, and even though I've been trying, its definitely been a lot harder than I thought. Over the holidays I've had various pictures of myself taken, and to be honest, I'm not very happy with the way I look. I look.... flat. No curves and my face is very thin. But when I see myself in the mirror, I still see trouble spots which definitely need some work... which means to lose more weight. What I'm asking is, what would you recommend? I want to have a flatter stomach and thinner thighs, but I also don't want to lose the few curves that I do still have. I am 6ft tall, 123lbs and in relatively good shape.

Replies

• SheFoxyLady
    Options
    Bumping in for answers as I am in a similar situation
  • tyleeloo30
    Options
    Also, if I want to gain weight... I want it to be healthily, with a gain of muscle, not really fat. Anyone have any advice to gain muscle and not fat?
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Lift weights and build a little muscle to fill your body out and make your natural woman curves pop. If you just gain weight without a plan of strength training, what you gain from excess calories will be mostly fat. You don't want that.
  • happydreamy
    happydreamy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you are 6 feet tall and 123 pounds, your BMI is 16.7... anything under 18.5 is considered underweight. Of course, BMI is a universal scale and everyone is different, but 16.7 is pretty ridiculous.

I would definitely put on weight and readjust caloric intake. If you are displeased with your shape, I highly recommend strength training. I use dailyburn.com , but there are plenty of sources for quality workout videos. Healthy curves come from healthy muscles.

Whether or not you choose to commit to strength training, I would say putting on weight is a definite must. You may want to consult your doctor.

Best of luck. :)
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
  • tyleeloo30
    Options
    I have consulted my doctor.... she said I was a healthy weight and to just keep eating 3 healthy meals a day. But clearly that isn't working as I'm still losing weight. I do want to commit to some strength training since my arm muscles are pretty pathetic, and I will certainly look into the site you recommended. Thanks for your suggestions!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Lift weights and build a little muscle to fill your body out and make your natural woman curves pop. If you just gain weight without a plan of strength training, what you gain from excess calories will be mostly fat. You don't want that.

This!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have consulted my doctor.... she said I was a healthy weight and to just keep eating 3 healthy meals a day. But clearly that isn't working as I'm still losing weight. I do want to commit to some strength training since my arm muscles are pretty pathetic, and I will certainly look into the site you recommended. Thanks for your suggestions!

So just eat more calories in your 3 meals per day....
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

also at 18, you're still quite young. i definitely filled out when i hit college, metabolism slowed down and such
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

She's right, but any kind of strength training while eating a calorie surplus will be beneficial. It doesn't have to be weights. You are going to gain some fat with your muscle, though, so don't be afraid of that. Look up bulk and cut cycles on the forums. There are plenty of people on here way more knowledgeable on this than me. What to eat? Protein, protein, protein!
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Lift weights and eat more calories.
  • Burgher23
    Options
    I recommend pilates. It makes your muscles (and abs) long and lean, so you don't lose weight but you tighten up every muscle in your body. Try taking 2-3 classes/week for 6 weeks and see how it goes. It gets easier the more you do it, but it's never "easy," which is my kind of work out. Good luck!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Lift weights and eat more. Also make sure you are getting between 80 to 120 g of protein per day.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I recommend pilates. It makes your muscles (and abs) long and lean, so you don't lose weight but you tighten up every muscle in your body. Try taking 2-3 classes/week for 6 weeks and see how it goes. It gets easier the more you do it, but it's never "easy," which is my kind of work out. Good luck!

This is nonsense. You can't change the length of your muscles and making a muscle "lean" literally doesn't mean anything.

Pilates is fine and all, but if you're trying to develop your muscles and gain weight, it's inefficient compared to heavier resistance training. You will gain more fat doing pilates while gaining weight than if you were doing a heavy program.
  • tyleeloo30
    Options
    terrific, thanks. More calories, lots of protein, and strength training. :)
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Are you counting calories? You may be eating less without realizing this. Most people count calories to lose weight, but you will need to count calories to gain weight. It can be very hard to gain weight, especially when you feel full. I recommend your three meals a day plus a snack or two.

Also to figure out how much you need to eat add 250-300 calories a day to your maintenance goals. If you find you are not gaining, the you will need to up your calories more.

Good snacks include crackers w/peanutbutter, nuts and seeds, veggies and dip, and maybe little slices of cheese. Or whatever you like.

Obviously you should be adding more protein to your diet. This can include peanut butter, nuts and seeds, and meat, fish and poultry. Beans and legumes are also good sources of protein.

And like others have said, you will need to strength train. I would keep up your exercise program as well. Just eat more, particularly protein and complex carbohydrates.
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    terrific, thanks. More calories, lots of protein, and strength training. :)

In short, yes. I belong to a private group of women who lift heavy with body beast, and in the group are a few women who were in your position prior to heavy lifting and getting their TDEE's and calories properly in line. They look awesome now and are no longer skinny and scrawny, but healthy and fit. Good luck to you!!!
  • tyleeloo30
    Options
  • aiyahM
    aiyahM Posts: 4
    Options
    I am 5''6" tall and I used to weigh 96 lbs so I was very skinny. I went to the doctor and he gave me a prescription for periactin which is an allergy medicine but a side effect is it increases your appetite...a lot! I took it and could eat 3000-4200 calories a day. I started gaining weight very quickly. I would eat and also drink these boost vhc (very high calorie) drinks which contain 530 calories in one drink. You can only order them online at amazon or ebay or through a medical supply company. So, I got up to 119 lbs in about 2-3 months and felt great! But, I was eating the wrong types of food, sugars, fast food etc so the weight I gained was fat. I ended up with cellulite and not toned up. I ended up losing a few pounds recently and plan on starting that medication again but now I will work out more and eat healthier to gain lean muscle. Maybe you should try that medicine or those vhc drinks. Good luck!