10 little excuses that prevent weight loss

Options
This is quoted from another source...not me...so, take what you will out of it.

1. "it's just a bite" A forkful of mac ‘n cheese here, a few fries there; how bad can that be? “For every 100 extra calories you consume daily, you gain 10 pounds each year

2. "it's made with fruit" You’ll see this splashed across juices, fruit snacks and cereals, but these “fruits” are often mostly sugar.

3. "I just worked out and need to refuel" While it’s smart to refuel and stimulate muscle repair with a snack that combines carbs and protein (like Greek yogurt and fruit), remember to factor those calories into your day.

4. "I'll eat this now and just skip dinner" in one study in JAMA Internal Medicine, people who skipped meals were more likely than regular eaters to eat high-calorie foods, like carbs and protein, over vegetables.

5. "I popped a multi vitamin so, I'm healthy" It appears that making one healthy choice (the vitamin) makes people feel less vulnerable to the consequences of unhealthy habits (buffet eating, being a couch potato). While research shows multivitamins can improve your mood and reduce stress, it can’t turn you into superwoman or superman.

6. "it's healthy" adults eating at Subway underestimated their meal’s calories more than at McDonald’s. Healthy or not, portion control is key.

7. "after that pancake, my diet is totally blown" Some perspective: A meal or extra 250 calories (which is like one pancake with syrup) one day won’t make or break your diet. It’s when you think you’ve ruined it and, since you’re feeling badly, indulge in a few cookies or a burger with fries.

8. "it doesn't matter what time I eat" Being an early bird has its perks: A study in the International Journal of Obesity found that people who ate lunch before 3 p.m. lost more weight over 20 weeks than later lunchers

9. "I'm off on the weekends" There are about eight weekend days in a month—that’s a lot of time! Save splurges for holidays, weddings and other parties—not twice a week all day. If your weekday diet is so restrictive that you feel the need to overeat on weekends, adopt small, doable habits that stick every day of the week.

10. "if it says low fat or low calorie, it's good to eat" The problem with low-cal packaged stuff is that these are often pumped with added sugar to make them taste good. But their lack of nutritious ingredients leaves you unsatisfied. So you may open a few 100-calorie packs—not just one. Limit your intake of these and choose real, wholesome foods whenever possible

Replies

• BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • SanDoThis
    Options
    wow so true and yes I am guilty of using some of those excuses! :-(
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Great post! I'm going to copy and share this in my weight loss/fitness challenge group.
  • christinemadden0223
    christinemadden0223 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I used at least 5 of these yesterday! Yikes!
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    :glasses: :flowerforyou:
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite is you gotta wait till the first of the month to start or you gotta wait till monday to start. I used those on myself for years.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    this is so true... it's the death by a thousand cuts that kills us.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    for the record. I've been guilty of several of these as well.

for the record #2. What's wrong with me? I made a serious post. I'm going to the doctor. I must be ill :wink:
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    I read this list earlier from the website and laughed to myself for all the things I have actually said and thought over the years. It's so weird how we trick ourselves into thinking we are doing something good when it's pretty bad. Here's another, a salad covered in a bottle of ranch dressing IS NOT healthy!! Wow, if I could tell younger me that one LOL!
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    The refueling one I'm the worst at, although the food diary helps. And I do tend to take a bite here or there, but I factor the calories.
  • tnicmorris
    tnicmorris Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I, for sure, am the queen of being off on the weekends. LOL.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I dig this
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    here's another one for you...

"It's not great, but it's not as bad as I COULD be eating"

I pull this one ALL the time. And it is delusional, pure and simple

*props to secretlobster for mentioning that on my wall... it's so very true!*
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    4 and 8 are not true. Meal timing doesn't matter, and skipping meals doesn't matter as long as you eat under your calories.
  • nmb0717
    nmb0717 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My diet was always going to start on Monday. 200 pounds to lose later, I started on MFP. On a Saturday! :laugh:
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    4 and 8 are not true. Meal timing doesn't matter, and skipping meals doesn't matter as long as you eat under your calories.

I totally agree with you, but I think it's more of a psychological point - people who skip meals get so hungry, they overeat at the next meal.