Lifters: Not real sure what to do now...

Options
I have been lifting for 7 months now. I lift 3x a week as well as spin 3x a week. I do chest and tri' s, back and bi' s, and legs and shoulders. The program is written to do 3 sets of 10 reps. I started that way but then listened to a trainer who told me about muscle confusion and how I should add another set, which I did. I've been doing 4 sets of each lift for about 20 weeks now. My issue is that I have a MS which makes working out a bit harder on me to begin with, so I'm now finding 4 sets of deadlifts at 150 lbs a little intense. Squats are starting to get rough too. My son thought that maybe 4 sets were too much and I should drop it back to 3 as it was written. My question is would dropping that extra set be a step backwards and interfere with weight loss or toning?

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I don't have any experience with MS, but listen to your body. 4 sets of 10 is a lot if you're lifting heavy. Maybe look into a program like 5/3/1 or 5x5 - both great progressive heavy lifting programs with less reps. Also, dropping a set is not going to do anything to harm your weight loss as long as your calories are in order.
  • msunat97
    msunat97 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I don't have any experience with MS, but you can change the qty of lifts & pace. Do you go lower reps for squats (as an example) & work them 2x a week...Listen to your body & experiment. Change the angle of your lifts or add some low weight isometrics to supplement the major lifts (Lateral Raises for shoulders or flys for chest).
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    First off, "Muscle Confusion" is a myth. First time I heard the term was when P90X came out. It may help sell DVDs, but in reality if you want muscles to grow you need to increase the weight you put on the bar, not the volume, especially true with someone with your medical condition. 4 sets of heavy deadlifts for you is ridiculous (I do 1 working set myself). Cut the volume and try increasing the weight on a consistent basis. And as already stated, listen to your body.
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't have any experience with MS, but listen to your body. 4 sets of 10 is a lot if you're lifting heavy. Maybe look into a program like 5/3/1 or 5x5 - both great progressive heavy lifting programs with less reps. Also, dropping a set is not going to do anything to harm your weight loss as long as your calories are in order.

I will have to check to see what 5/3/1 is. I had thought about Stronglifts 5x when I was first looking for a program to do but was nervous about having to do squats 3x a week and trying to add weight each time. I started out adding 5 lbs each workout but as the weight got heavier I started to add 5 lbs every other time I do the lift, so I've been staying at same weigh for two weeks and then adding. I have not been able to that on upper body and isolation lifts though. My upper body strength blows. Two years ago I couldn't lift a gallon of milk without using two hands. No joke. It was terrible.

I am trying to recomp. I still seem to have an extra 5 to 10lbs of flab.:-/ It's getting better and I'm getting smaller but much slower than I'd like. Tried and still trying to drop calories to speed up loss but lifts and motivation seem to suffer. Not sure what to do there either. Better to bite the bullet drop calories and have lifts and mood suffer, or keep at current level and struggle with these last lbs???
  • googlebear123
    Options
    First off, "Muscle Confusion" is a myth. First time I heard the term was when P90X came out. It may help sell DVDs, but in reality if you want muscles to grow you need to increase the weight you put on the bar, not the volume, especially true with someone with your medical condition. 4 sets of heavy deadlifts for you is ridiculous (I do 1 working set myself). Cut the volume and try increasing the weight on a consistent basis. And as already stated, listen to your body.

truth! especially the bold.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    4 sets of heavy deadlifts for you is ridiculous (I do 1 working set myself). Cut the volume and try increasing the weight on a consistent basis. And as already stated, listen to your body.

Try doing a 10, 8, 6, 8 or a 8,6,4,6 or 8,5, 5, 1 or 10, 10, 8 or 5x5 or etc... its limitless.

I do this on my major compound lifts (Squat, Deadlft, benchpress, overhead press and rows.) Then, do the 3x8-12 or 4x 8-12 on the isolation type exercises.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

I am trying to recomp. I still seem to have an extra 5 to 10lbs of flab.:-/ It's getting better and I'm getting smaller but much slower than I'd like. Tried and still trying to drop calories to speed up loss but lifts and motivation seem to suffer. Not sure what to do there either. Better to bite the bullet drop calories and have lifts and mood suffer, or keep at current level and struggle with these last lbs???

The last 5-10 lbs are the worst. When I started I *thought* I needed to be 135. I am coming up on my year and have only lost 8 pounds and am at 149. My body has changed completely - I am happy now with how I look and would have to give up a lot to get to 135 which I won't do. It takes a while. Don't cut and be miserable.

One of my favorite stories that I read when I first started is below. The quote that stuck with me was "I would gain ten pounds tomorrow if it meant I could add 50lbs to my deadlift."

- http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • tracieangeletti
    Options

Would dropping from 4 sets to just one set once a week be too little? Maybe for the big compound lifts I could do a 5x5 and keep isolation lifts at 3 or 4 sets at 10 reps. Are you supposed to do 5x5 on deads?? Should I try to do deads and squats more than once a week? I really appreciate all your answers!!:-)
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Would dropping from 4 sets to just one set once a week be too little? Maybe for the big compound lifts I could do a 5x5 and keep isolation lifts at 3 or 4 sets at 10 reps. Are you supposed to do 5x5 on deads?? Should I try to do deads and squats more than once a week? I really appreciate all your answers!!:-)

1 set of deads wouldn't be too little if you up the weight. I'd ramp up to 1 heavier set though, not just jump right into it- cut back to 3x10 this week, next week add 5-10lbs and do 3x8, the following week add 5-10 and do 3x5, the next week 5-10 and 2x5, then the last week add weight and do your 1x5. From there on out try to add weight when you can. If the 5 reps is easy, add 5lbs next time, keep going that way.
  • tracieangeletti
    Options
    4 sets of heavy deadlifts for you is ridiculous (I do 1 working set myself). Cut the volume and try increasing the weight on a consistent basis. And as already stated, listen to your body.

Try doing a 10, 8, 6, 8 or a 8,6,4,6 or 8,5, 5, 1 or 10, 10, 8 or 5x5 or etc... its limitless.

I do this on my major compound lifts (Squat, Deadlft, benchpress, overhead press and rows.) Then, do the 3x8-12 or 4x 8-12 on the isolation type exercises.

So try to vary reps and or sets. I could give this a try.
  • tracieangeletti
    Options

The last 5-10 lbs are the worst. When I started I *thought* I needed to be 135. I am coming up on my year and have only lost 8 pounds and am at 149. My body has changed completely - I am happy now with how I look and would have to give up a lot to get to 135 which I won't do. It takes a while. Don't cut and be miserable.

One of my favorite stories that I read when I first started is below. The quote that stuck with me was "I would gain ten pounds tomorrow if it meant I could add 50lbs to my deadlift."

- http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Yes, these last lbs are really messing with my mind and making me sad. Lol I, at one, time thought that I could get down to 115 lbs. I weigh anywhere from 123 to 127 depending on the day. I think the only way I could get to 115 lbs at this point would be by lopping off a limb!!
  • tracieangeletti
    Options

1 set of deads wouldn't be too little if you up the weight. I'd ramp up to 1 heavier set though, not just jump right into it- cut back to 3x10 this week, next week add 5-10lbs and do 3x8, the following week add 5-10 and do 3x5, the next week 5-10 and 2x5, then the last week add weight and do your 1x5. From there on out try to add weight when you can. If the 5 reps is easy, add 5lbs next time, keep going that way.

Sounds doable and easy to follow! Thank you!!
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    One working set of deadlifts, after the warmup sets. You are doing warmup sets, right?
  • googlebear123
    Options
    Would dropping from 4 sets to just one set once a week be too little?
    yes
    Maybe for the big compound lifts I could do a 5x5 and keep isolation lifts at 3 or 4 sets at 10 reps
    5x5 or 5x3 except for deadlifts.
    Are you supposed to do 5x5 on deads??
    no, 5 reps yes not 5 sets
    Should I try to do deads and squats more than once a week?
    yes without a doubt. squat every session, deads every other

example

workout a
    squat 5x5

workout b
    squat 5x5
    dead 5x1
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

My personal reasoning behind only doing one working set of Deadlifts is because it's such a taxing lift. I should add that I also do 3 warm ups sets obviously at lesser weights before my work set (which is 5 reps at the heaviest weight I can lift w/good form). My goal in lifting is to put weight on the bar, and this is what is working for ME. Anyway, if I do more than one set of Deadlifts, I find that all my other lifts after that will suffer. That said, there's many people that do 3x5 or 5x5 just fine. I personally couldn't imagine doing 5 heavy sets of deadlifts, unless that was all I did that day.

Really would need to see your program to give you a better answer. Sorry.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting HEAVY you shouldnt be able to do 10 reps of anything.

you should drop to lower reps and 3-5 sets but not 4 sets of 10.
  • tracieangeletti
    Options
    I do 3 warm up sets with progressive weights for the first lift of each muscle set used. This is my program now:

Chest and tri's:
    Flat dumbbell press- 3 warm up sets then, 4 x 10 at 30lbs (regular bench is 70lbs) not the best, I struggle with upper body
    Incline bench press- 4 x 10 at 60lbs
    Push up- 4 x 20
    Seated tricep press- 4 x10 at 35lbs
    Tricep dips- 4 x 15

Back and bi's:
    Deadlifts- warm up, 4 x 10 at 150 lbs
    T bar row- 4 x 10 at 70 lbs, normally do pendlay rows
    Close grip pull down- 4 x 10 at 55lbs
    Dumbbell curls- 4 x 10 at 20 lbs
    Barbell curls- 4 x 10 at 40 lbs
    Pull ups- 4 x 10, these are not real pull ups I sorta pull up on a bar but with feet stretched out in front of me

Legs and shoulders:
    Squats- warm up, 4 x 10 at 130 lbs
    Front squat- 4 x 10 at 75 lbs
    Leg extension- 4 x 10 at 55 lbs
    Leg curl- 4 x 10 at 65 lbs
    Military press- warm up, 4 x 10 at 50 lbs
    Side lateral raise- 4 x 10 at 10 lbs
    Rear delt raise- 4 x 10 at 7 1/2 lbs

The program changes slightly every two months with some lifts changing variations like from barbell to dumbbell or front squats to hack squats

Sound decent? On the right track? Suggestions? :-)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

My personal reasoning behind only doing one working set of Deadlifts is because it's such a taxing lift. I should add that I also do 3 warm ups sets obviously at lesser weights before my work set (which is 5 reps at the heaviest weight I can lift w/good form). My goal in lifting is to put weight on the bar, and this is what is working for ME. Anyway, if I do more than one set of Deadlifts, I find that all my other lifts after that will suffer. That said, there's many people that do 3x5 or 5x5 just fine. I personally couldn't imagine doing 5 heavy sets of deadlifts, unless that was all I did that day.

Really would need to see your program to give you a better answer. Sorry.

I transitioned from strength to hypertrophy and it's killing me- I'm shooting for 8 but normally I make 6. And doing 4 or 5 sets of 6 reps is awful- I have deloaded by about 30-50 lbs of my 1 rep max. It's atrocious.

I have no idea how people do 2 sets of 12 anything- it's like torture.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I transitioned from strength to hypertrophy and it's killing me- I'm shooting for 8 but normally I make 6. And doing 4 or 5 sets of 6 reps is awful- I have deloaded by about 30-50 lbs of my 1 rep max. It's atrocious.

You and me both. 8 rep sets are like cardio imo
  • tracieangeletti
    Options

You and me both. 8 rep sets are like cardio imo

Is the difference between hypertrophy and strength lifting that different? Sometimes I wonder if I switched to lower reps if I could lift more weight. Maybe some but I don't think by too much. Am I wrong?