Jogging for beginners

Options
2»

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Go slower than you think you need to! Focus on your breathing, in for 2 strides out for 2 strides, keep you pace slow enough to maintain you breating pattern. Also if you feel shin splints coming on mix it up with something less forceful, elliptical is my go to but cycling and swimming are also great options; or find a softer surface to run on- hit the trails :). Those were my two big hurdles when I started. Enjoy!
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    In to vouch for C25K!
  • JessiEdwards
    Options
    A lot of specialty running stores have beginner 5k training programs. I ran my first 5k by signing up for a program called No Boundaries through my local Fleet Feet. It was a 12 week program that had run/walk options (I could not just run when I started and needed the walk breaks.) I tried Couch to 5k but found I was more likely to run in a group setting.
  • Log_n_Jog
    Log_n_Jog Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    C25K is how I got started and I used to hate running. Follow the plan and give yourself time to see if you like it or not. Day 1 of week 1 I thought to myself, "I can't believe I'm doing this! I'm actually running! I feel great!" Day 2 of week 1 I thought to myself, "I can't believe people do this for fun! Why would anybody keep doing this?!" That was three years ago and I have since ran 4 half marathons. :)
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If you do end up falling in love with running I would advise making the investment in running socks and shoes.
  • Crystallee145
    Crystallee145 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I've started out jogging at about a 3.5 mph pace. I jog to songs, right now I'm up to about 4 songs without stopping. I started out with 1 song. Before I gained the wieght I was very active, but never liked running. Now, I thought I'd give it a try. I'm so excited that I can run, which motivates me to continue running. Starting slow has helped me greatly!

I tried the C25K program, and it wasnt for me.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    1431060_700b.jpg
  • StephFortney
    Options
    Some good comments. :)
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple of links to get you going:

http://www.jennyhadfield.com/training-plans/zero-to-running/

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Both of these coaches advocate a run/walk approach for beginners. Buy yourself a heart rate monitor. Go to a running store to get appropriate shoes, and you are off to the races! (Pun intended)
  • aeromat
    aeromat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When I started my weight loss program, I used walking as one of my forms of exercise. I just kept increasing my distance when I thought I could handle more. Then I got a Wii and Wii Fit and noticed that "running" in the game was a pretty good workout so I bought a treadmill.

I started walking at a rapid pace on the treadmill until that became boring. I increased the speed and got used to jogging and like running, only did as much as I could handle. Slowly I kept jogging longer and faster.

Then the day came when I ran outside for the first time, not realizing the difference between the forgiving surface of the treadmill and the not-so-friendly concrete. I ran up and down the street a few times each day to get used to it.

Finally, when I thought I was ready, I headed out and started running, sold the treadmill, and never looked back.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    It may sound silly but I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone.

this i like.

sign up for a race. find a 5k or something that is 6 months from now. it'll give you a goal to be ready for. i don't care if you finish last, and you shouldn't either. the only thing you should be concerened about is running that race and finishing with a smile on your face.
  • xkimberlee007
    xkimberlee007 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Music is a must for me, keeps you from thinking about how long you have been jogging.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Start Couch to 5K. That's the best program for a new runner. Don't run too fast, though. This program is more about distance than speed.

Totally this! ^^^^

C25k completely changed my life and habits, no joke!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    It may sound silly but I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone.

this i like.

sign up for a race. find a 5k or something that is 6 months from now. it'll give you a goal to be ready for. i don't care if you finish last, and you shouldn't either. the only thing you should be concerened about is running that race and finishing with a smile on your face.

I agree on both accounts. In addition to this,
    1. Get a couple of good sports bras, not the pull over your head things but ones that have actual sizes, cover, hook in the back and have adjustable straps ( I like these...http://www.championusa.com/workout-clothes/sports-bras-43553--1/maximum-support-bras/champion-shape-scoopback-full-figure-underwire-sports-bra). Along these same lines, I wear a compression tank under my t-shirt so I don't feel all jiggly. I'm pretty small now (that wasn't always the case), but I have some loose skin and such that feels less cumbersome if it is held in. :)

2. Get shoes that fit well and have suficient support. I reccomend going to a running store for the first pair to make sure you are getting what you need. After that you can use Zappos or on-line ordering if you'd like, but local shops give runners personal attention and great tips...

3. Go into it with a positive attitude. Change is difficult and scary sometimes, but look at it as an opportunity rather than an obstacle. It isn't something you have to suffer through it is something you can do. Don't compare yourself to other. Walk if you need to walk. Many days I run 5-6 miles just fine, but there are still days when I just can't get through 2 without stopping. It's okay.
  • ataylorgardner
    ataylorgardner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    When I first started I would warm up for 4-5 minutes then I would jog for 30 seconds, walk for 2 minutes, jog 30 seconds, walk 2 minutes etc. Then I would move up to walk 3 minutes jog 1 minute, repeat. Eventually working my way up to jogging full on. If you are looking for a program to help and like zombies there is an app called zombies 5k. Its similar to zombies run but more for beginners. Similar to the couch to 5k but with a zombie apocalypse story to go along with it.
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Like many of the others, I started with C25k and fell in love with it! I ran my first 5k about 5 weeks into the program at over 300 lbs! It's been almost 2 years since I've been running and I've already run 3 half marathons and I signed up for a full marathon in May. I've learned a lot about how to run: run at your pace, learn the proper mechanics to be an efficient runner and that will determine the shoe for you, the proper stretching to eliminate knee discomfort.