is it really *that* wrong to let yourself be hungry?

Options
I'm pretty hungry right now, my stomach's been demanding food for the last few minutes, and as soon as I'm done typing this up, I'm off to the kitchen to make me some eggs!-- preferably with this delicious raisin bread that I know is just absolutely marvelous when toasted! :love:
I had (and still sometimes do have) a really big problem with eating out of boredom and I thought it would be a really big help to let my body and mind experience what true hunger is. ** I don't eat anything unless my body is feeling hunger pangs or my stomach has growled. ** I've lost 40+ lbs on my own before joining MFP and this is something I've only recently started doing.
My friends and mostly my mother are extremely unsupportive. I'm 20 so I still live at home w/my mother and she's constantly telling me that I'm ruining my metabolism and that I'm forcing my body to "beg" for food. I've gotten the same "metabolism ruining" speech from my two best friends. My male friend accused me of "starving" my body, which was pretty hurtful.
By no means do I think I'm starving myself, or making my body "beg" for food. I see it as letting myself experience natural hunger before eating. I'm sort of stumped on the metabolism point though- is it bad for my metabolism? I'd have to think no? Because it's natural to be hungry.... but I'm not a nutritionist or a doctor. (I know 99% of you aren't either! but still! lol)
So yeah- any opinions or thoughts? AM I hurting myself and being stupid with my body like my mother and friends think? IS it hurting my metabolism?
I can't help but feel this is a silly question because hunger is the most natural thing in the world, but I'm second guessing myself here!
Thanks for reading! xoxo

Replies

• Mother_Warrior
    Mother_Warrior Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think if you are honestly hungry you should eat something. A small moderate snack if it's not a meal time. Typically though I eat out of boredom too so what I have been doing is trying to find something else to take my mind off of food. If I still feel hungry then I know that it's not just boredom and I will eat something really small.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Inb4 Steve0...

Letting yourself get hungry before you eat?! What a concept (to many)!

I think you are doing fine OP. Learning what real hunger is is an important part of attaining your weight loss and maintenance goals.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    If I do that, I start shaking. I get really hungry after I work out. I was told that means you metabolism is amped up and needs work. I eat.
  • KirstenW1224
    KirstenW1224 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. I like to know I am legitimately and actually hungry before I eat. I don't see how that is ruining your metabolism. Food is FUEL, plain and simple. And we need food when we are on or close to E. You seem to eat instead of starving yourself when you are hungry, and, if you continue to be hungry then your metabolism can't be getting all messed up.

Bottom line - as long as you do eat when you recognize your body is hungry, then good on ya!
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    As long as you're getting enough calories/vitamins/protein etc that your body needs to function... that's all that matters. I usually eat breakfast around 9am.... and I'll get hungry again about 11ish but I let myself be hungry for a few hours... until lunchtime most of the time. Sometimes if i'm REALLY hungry I'll have a snack. There have been times I get a little hungry (just a little twinge) after dinner and I'll just drink some water and ignore it because Its time to go to bed... I don't need any food... and I don't have any more calories.

You know your body. As long as you know that you're not starving yourself... you fuel it when you need to... that's all that matters.
  • jimgatewood
    jimgatewood Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Drink water and eat veggies.
  • Cozmetick
    Cozmetick Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    When you are thirsty you actually experience hunger before thirst, so always have a drink first, if you're still hungry - then eat. Don't ignore it.
  • MarKayDee
    MarKayDee Posts: 196
    Options
    Just be careful to actually eat when you really are hungry. I started doing something like that when I was in my freshman year of high school, now at 23 my husband has to remind me to eat throughout the day if I don't pay attention to myself. There is a middle ground between bored eating and starving yourself. You've just gotta find it.
  • aniwde
    aniwde Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think you will have to feel some hunger to loose weight. We are not used to feeling it so we think it's worse than it is. Find some great low calorie/low carb snacks to help (less than 15 carbs). Chew a stick of gum or get a piece of hard candy, again stick to 15 or less carbs.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    sometimes your body confuses thirst for hunger. And hunger cues are not the best indication of the body's nutritional requirements.

I could drink 4000 cal/day and still be hungry but not need that much "nutrition", whereas if I ate 800 cals of veggies I would be stuffed but still need much more fuel. The best is to figure out a "diet" that fits both your caloric, macro and micro requirement that also doesn't leave you hungry all the time.
  • LessJos
    LessJos Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I think you are ok as long as you eat when you are hungry, stay within resonable calorie count and eat good stuff.
    I am doing the same. I had to learn again that I need a bigger breakfast and don't need two snacks in the morning.

Though I eat whether I am hungry or not 2 hours before my workout. Because I know I will be hungry one hour or so before and then I can't workout. I get nauseous if I eat too close to my workouts.
    Other than that I try to let my body guide me and listen to the signals.
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I think it is good to go to the table hungry. "Working up an appetite," so to speak. So I think it is fine to let yourself GET hungry, but it isn't fine to let yourself STAY hungry. When you feel hungry, eat.

I think it is also important to remember, too, that a lack of nutrition doesn't always manifest itself as hunger pangs or a growling stomach. When I eat too little, I don't usually feel "hungry" in the typical sense, but I do feel sluggish, foggy-headed, and emotionally "down." It took me a while to realize that even though I didn't think I was hungry, I wasn't eating enough to fuel my body.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Eggs are a wonderful snack, but if you are truly hungry on a regular basis, you might review your calorie goal and macros.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    OP, you're doing just fine. You're not hurting yourself or your metabolism; to allow yourself to be truly hungry is a good thing! North American society has gotten so used to eating at the first sign of anything (boredom, slight hunger, thirst, a particular time of day) without really discerning whether or not they/we are actually hungry.

The French have a saying; "hunger is the best seasoning"; I mention the French because they have one of the most sophisticated and intense relationships with food, resulting in (arguably) some of the best cuisine in the world. Funny thing about their love affair with food- they do not snack between meals. It's breakfast, lunch and a [late] dinner; only children are allowed an afternoon snack. They allow themselves to become truly hungry and then they thoroughly enjoy their meals.

You got this OP, ignore the chatter. :smile:
  • pashn_98
    Options
    Words from my personal trainer: Envision your stomach like a bucket of water with a small hole on the bottom. You never want to let it overflow nor do you want to let it be completely empty. Your goal is to keep something in it moderately. Small snacks every few hours, even if you are not hungry. If you start having hunger pains, your body will create insulin (sugars) that store fat and eat muscle.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Food timimg does not effect your metabolism. You do not need to rev up your engine in the morning. The only ways to really wreck your metabolism are literally starving yourself, and uncontrollable hormon/thyroid issues.
  • dlashawn5
    dlashawn5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Well, I was told that eating 6 small meals a day and drinking plenty of water would keep the hunger pains away. I have also found that is not always true. So, when I feel those hunger pains haunting me, I drink a cup of tea or eat a piece of fruit or drink more water. I have noticed that it is not always what you eat or how much you eat but when you eat. I am learning to allow my stomach to do it's thing, especially when I have eaten my share for the day. It is something to get use to. During the day, it can be rather distracting so I keep plenty of snacks handy and I try to let it do it's hunger pain thing at night, that way I can just drink a glass of water or eat a small apple or much on celery and just go to bed. I hope that helps....
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Why go hungry when you don't have to...

There are plenty of ways to help control that. Eating regularly, high fiber, protein, water, making sure you're getting enough nutrients... just to name a few.

21525558.png
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm still working on distinguishing when I'm actually hungry from when I'm stressed or bored. I've found that every night around 10:00 to 10:30 PM during the end of my works shift I feel hungry. This seems to be a bit of a false hunger because if I drink some water and wait it out I usually end up not wanting anything to eat after all. I really feel like I'm only just starting to understand the differences. I do know when I'm actually hungry that's when I'm willing to eat anything.

I also have to be carefully that I don't get too hungry because then the quick choices when out over the healthy choices. I try to stick to my eating plan in order to prevent super hunger runs for take out.
  • schiddy
    Options
    If you are counting calories and not eating at too high of a deficit, It's perfectly fine. Google interval fasting, it's very successful for a lot of people. Also, metabolism thing is false. That's along the same line of thinking that 6 small meals a day keep you metabolism working all day. FALSE. This was disproved. Your body uses the same amount of energy to metabolize 6 meals a day as it does for even 1 meal a day of the same amount of food. Only benefit to 6 spread out meals is that it keeps hunger down.