Hey Runners- Want your opinion

Options
I recently read an article (written by a sports nutritionist/runner) and it gave different running tips. One of the tips was to train in different pairs of shoes (the theory being that each shoe hits your lower extremities, and provides wear and tear on them differently) which makes total sense to me, but I've also heard from numerous people "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" aka...why would you switch up shoes that are working for you?

Does anyone do this? I wear Brooks Glycerine and LOVE them...so I'm just debating if i should buy a different pair to train in for my shorter runs?

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    When I got my first official pair of running shoes, I went into the local running store, got a proper fitting and went with Brooks Adrenaline. Went back to the same store last year to get a new pair and asked for a new fitting but the sales guy had that same "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality and said if I was happy with last year's model, this year's would work just as well. However, I didn't find that to be true. Something about them just didn't feel the same.

Not sure if that was due to me losing a little weight from year to year or if something else changed while I took a break from running over the winter. Either way, lesson learned - when I go back this year I'm going to insist on a proper fitting and do so every time it's I go in for a new pair.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I've never heard of doing that to be honest. I just run in my normal running sneakers regardless of how long or short the run is.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    When I got my first official pair of running shoes, I went into the local running store, got a proper fitting and went with Brooks Adrenaline. Went back to the same store last year to get a new pair and asked for a new fitting but the sales guy had that same "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality and said if I was happy with last year's model, this year's would work just as well. However, I didn't find that to be true. Something about them just didn't feel the same.

Not sure if that was due to me losing a little weight from year to year or if something else changed while I took a break from running over the winter. Either way, lesson learned - when I go back this year I'm going to insist on a proper fitting and do so every time it's I go in for a new pair.

I have found that the "updated" version of some shoes is NOT always the same.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've read a couple of variations on that theme but I too am of the "if it ain't broke" school of thought, in fact the only times in the past few years that I've suffered any significant discomfort (other than an IT band issue I had, but that was stupidity on my part......100km bike ride followed by a half marathon a week later) I've encountered is trying something different in my shoes.
  • k8bugz
    k8bugz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I usually alternate between 3 pairs of running shoes a training cycle. Usually to prolong their life, so that I can wear a pair of shoes that are broken-in but not worn out for a goal race. Usually it's two different models of shoes (Brooks Glycerine and Sacuony proride, I think), but I just added a Nike model to the mix. Those are all neutral cushioned shoes, so they all work for my particular needs. I usually go in to my local running store every year or so and try on the new models because they can make significant changes sometimes (and buy one pair in-store to support them!). Because running shoes are expensive, though, I'll stock up on a style when they are on sale and cycle them in.

Some people prefer more or less cushion or weight for different runs (ie track workouts or trail runs, or long runs).
  • adveditor
    adveditor Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I rotate my shoes not because of the biomechanics, but to give each pair of shoes a chance to "breathe" after a run. Especially if you run multiple days in a row, the support in your shoes may not have time to spring back to its prime form.

If you aren't having any issues and you aren't logging tons of miles every day, you're probably fine just sticking with the pair that works for you!
  • librarygirlontherun
    Options
    I stay in the same pair of shoes for 500 miles. I am a Brooks Ghost Girl and believe if it's not broke, why fix it.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    You actually reduce overuse type injuries if you change up your running shoes. I think it's a great idea if you can find more than one brand and model that work with your stride mechanics.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My physical therapist had me running in two pairs of the same shoes, switching off each time I run.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I alternate between 3 pairs of Nike Vomero 8's for any run over 6 miles. For runs 6 miles and less, I run in either fly knits or free 5.0's…so I do vary with 3 different types of shoes, but thats because I prefer the lighter more minimalist shoe for shorter distances.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I rotate different models, from very minimalist (Merrel vapors) to very cushioned (Altra torins). Most of my running is in Saucony Virratas (3 pair), which I also rotate. I just throw in the others for a change, once in a while.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    You actually reduce overuse type injuries if you change up your running shoes. I think it's a great idea if you can find more than one brand and model that work with your stride mechanics.

I agree with this advice!

"runners who rotated among multiple models during the 22-week study had a 39% lower risk of running injury than those who almost always ran in the same shoes."

"this could well be because different shoes distribute the impact forces of running differently, thereby lessening the strain on any given tissue."

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/study-backs-rotating-shoes-to-lower-injury-risk
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24286345

I rotate shoes almost daily and have never been injured while increasing distance fairly rapidly (first 5k Dec 2012, first marathon Oct 2013).

Another benefit is that your shoes will smell better if you give them more time to air out between runs! You can also save money by buying shoes you like on sale instead of when you need them upon the retirement of your last pair.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I rotate shoes...

Figures it gives me a reason to buy so many (haha) ! Not sure if it's doing some good or not, but I like it! :)
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I rotate but I do it because I like to try new shoes. Didn't know it was good for me. :)

Currently running in Brooks Ghost 6.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I rotate my shoes not because of the biomechanics, but to give each pair of shoes a chance to "breathe" after a run. Especially if you run multiple days in a row, the support in your shoes may not have time to spring back to its prime form.

I currently have two pair of Kinvara that I alternate back and forth for everyday use to allow them to recover. I also have seperate shoes for long runs (>13 miles), trail running, and short runs (<5 miles).