EVERY time I microwave oatmeal it explodes!

Options
13»

Replies

• Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I look through the handy dandy window and then right before it "explodes" I hit the stop button. Let sit for a bit. Eat. Enjoy.

tumblr_inline_mssrsxeJ5N1qz4rgp.gif
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I cook it on the stove.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I just follow the directions on the package. :huh:
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    How do you cook it, specifically? I'm new to cooking oats? not the instant packets, I don't really want to use the stove. So how do you microwave your oats, power level, length, stirring in the middle,do you watch it the whole time Mine always overflows, even when I've tried a bowl twice the size!

Follow the bold text
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I will never understand why people won't use the stove. On the stove, your oatmeal will taste 78% better than heated in the microwave. I am this close to trashing my microwave. I just don't see the point anymore.

Same here! The microwave is good for a few certain things like reheating leftovers or warming baked goods. For cooking, it absolutely sucks.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Mine (Silver Palate steel-cut oats, I think) calls for 10min at Power Level 3. It's always worked.

I do add a pinch of salt, and some cinnamon. Brown sugar or maple syrup waits until after the oats are cooked.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    My bowl is huge compared to the amount of oatmeal in it. I personally use 1/3 cup of oatmeal with 2/3 cup of a mix of milk and almond milk. I cook it for 3 minutes at a normal power level but with about 25 seconds left to go I have to pause it so it doesn't overflow the bowl. After a few seconds I start it again and it can finish just fine. It makes it very liquidy but by the time I add 1/2 tbsp of ground flax seed meal and 1/2 serving of protein poweder it's usually pretty close to what I want. I sometimes need to add a bit more water afterwards.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I will never understand why people won't use the stove. On the stove, your oatmeal will taste 78% better than heated in the microwave. I am this close to trashing my microwave. I just don't see the point anymore.

Same here! The microwave is good for a few certain things like reheating leftovers or warming baked goods. For cooking, it absolutely sucks.

I've used the stove for my oatmeal. Zero difference. Other things, yes. Oven > microwave, especially. But for oatmeal, where you're essentially just getting the water to boil? Not so much.

I do agree that regular cooking oats (these can also be cooked in the microwave) are much better than quick cooking/microwave oats. Cook those on the stove, get the same mush. But that's the type of oats, not the cooking method.
  • Kathy_TheVampireSlayer
    Options
    :laugh:
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I use Quaker Old Fashioned Oats. 2 servings at a time in a good sized bowl (1 cup of oats and less than a cup of water to get the consistency I like). Heat on high for 90 secs. stop, stir thoroughly, then heat for another 90 secs. I always put a paper plate or other covering over the bowl.

I find no taste difference between using a stove or a microwave when it comes to oatmeal.
  • czardastx
    czardastx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've found that reducing the power level helps. Reducing the power level causes the power to the magnetron (it creates the microwaves) to turn off and on. This keeps the item (oatmeal) from being heated constantly and gives it time to cool down a bit between heating cycles.

Just experiment, you may need to reduce power and increase cook times to get it right. I have a 900 watt oven and cook my steel cut oats for 6 minutes at 30% power and they cook perfectly. It took lots of trial and error and many cleanings of the glass tray to get the right settings.
  • mellibaby34
    Options
    I make oatmeal at the office every day. I use 1/2 cup of old fashioned oats. I use the hot water out of the coffee maker to just cover the oats. 25 seconds or so in the microwave and they're soft enough. I don't like to cook the heck out of them or they get sticky. And it's never a bad idea just to watch to make sure they're not getting close to the top of the bowl. Mix in a tsp of honey and some cinnamon, or cut up a banana or 1/4 cup of blueberries and you're good to go. The fruit is especially delicious in the oats if you add while it's still really hot and sort of cover the fruit with the oats. The fruit cooks in the hot oats. The blueberries taste like hot blueberry muffins!