Meals for Husband/Wife with Different Health Goals

Options
2»

Replies

• FoogooFish
    FoogooFish Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful replies! My husband is one of those tall, lean guys who can eat copious amounts of anything and still lose weight, while I have to be careful about -looking- at food lest I gain weight. Heh. Ah... the wonderful differences in male/female metabolisms... =(
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are having this "problem" right now. I eat larger portions of dinner, she eats smaller. I also make my own breakfast which is higher in calories. And I have lots of nuts like almonds, cashews, etc.

In short: Make the same food, he eats more, you eat less. Add a portion of nuts or two to his plate.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Gaining weight and losing weight are both about portion size/total calories. There are no "special" foods for one or the other.

Cook what you guys like to eat, then portion appropriately to meet your calorie goals. It sounds like you're way over thinking this.
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'd think he could eat the same things as you, just larger quantities.

If he doesn't like what you're eating on a certain night, can't he just make his own dinner? My boyfriend and I often make separate dinners when we're craving different things.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    You can both eat the same meals, he'll just eat more of it as we men tend to do, If he needs to add more calories a protein shake is a great way to do it.

Rigger
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are just like you two. I wish I could give him my excess weight and we would both be happy!

I have found it is best when I make one healthy meal we both enjoy (usually protein, starch & veg) and I only eat the protein and veg. He will load up on everything and also add butter/olive oil to the veggies to get some extra calories.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Cook the same meals. He can have extra helpings of it, add bread and butter, etc. You could also keep some protein bars in the pantry for him to snack on.
  • Timmi1978
    Timmi1978 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hello. =) My husband and I recently joined this community. Like many couples, I'm looking to lose weight and he's looking to gain weight/muscle. I do the majority of the grocery shopping and cooking, and while he -can- be picky about certain things (like his hatred of corn,) he's completely on-board with our new healthy eating lifestyle.

My concern is that I don't want to cook different meals for both of us, though. Are there some sites, recipe books, or other things that have recipes that can satisfy us both? Should he just eat more portions of already healthy foods? Cooking for just the two of us is tough enough at times; making meals healthy -and- low-cal for me / high protein and etc. for him seems rather daunting!

Dear FoogooFish,

Have you considered eating paleo? My wife is doing aerobics and I'm into weight lifting and after modifying our meal plans for almost 6 months, we started to eat paleo because it simply serves both of our requirements. You can find some fantastic books on Amazon or you may try the a complete meal plan like on Tim's blog (for your reference http://timreviews.com/paleo-recipe).I think it's been almost 2 years now and sometimes I look at my old pictures and I can't believe how I changed :D

Hope this helps,

Timmi
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    whilst my husband and I have the same goals (both trying to gain muscle at the moment), he has different macro requirements to me....

he eats extra meals (morning and afternoon tea) whereas I just stick to 3 meals a day. we eat different breakfasts, similar lunch (salad with protein - his is more carb dense vegies, extra protein, sometimes rice, more mayo) and we eat the same dinner. at the moment this is a curry with vegies. he gets a little more curry, and again, more carbs (we both have baked sweet potato with our meal, he gets a little more)

we both need protein, we both need fat and we both need carbs and these three things make up all of our meals. we just adjust quantities to suit :)