Recipes to convert a chicken hater!

Options
I really want to like chicken because it's so full of protein but I just don't like the texture, I can't stand it! Could any of you please give me suggestions that will convert me to liking chicken that doesn't consist of kfc ;) Thank you!

Replies

• eemott
    eemott Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Try salsa chicken. Throw chicken and a jar of salsa in a crock pot. It will shred and you can eat it over rice or in tacos. Throw in beans and corn to add more textures. With the chicken shredded it has more of a tuna texture. Good luck!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you don't like chicken, then don't eat it. But honestly, there are hundreds of ways to prepare it besides breaded and fried. I just had chicken with mushrooms and rice for lunch. Yum!
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Tarragon Chicken and White Rice

Ingredients:
    • 3-5 Boneless Chicken Breasts (Large Cubes)
    • 2 Tbsp. Tarragon
    • 2-3 Tbsp. Corn Starch
    • 2 Tbsp. Butter
    • 2 c Chicken Stock
    • 1/4 c Dijon Mustard
    • 2-3 c White Rice
    • Dash of Garlic Powder
    • Dash of Lemon Pepper

Rice:

Combine 2-3 c White rice with double amount water to rice ratio. (I.e. 2 cups rice 4 cups water) and about 1 tbsp. olive oil. Boil water down until rice is an oatmeal type consistency with water. Reduce to low heat and cover. Stirring every 5 mins for 10 mins. If rice is still under cooked add a little more water and steam a bit longer.

Tarragon Chicken:

Melt 2 tbsp. butter in a deep sauté pan. Whisk in corn starch with chicken stock slowly to avoid clumps. Add Dijon and tarragon. (I'll leave salt to your preference. I added a little bc some ppl like salt in their rice whilst I do not.) Add cubed chicken and let rapidly cook down. I left my sauce a little loose to be able to mix in and coat rice later on. Cook about 7 minutes and reduce heat to low and simmer while rice cooks.

Serves 6-8
  • presbyreformed
    presbyreformed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Rub in some nice BBQ seasoning rub, then put on the grill, preferably away from direct heat and cook til done, smoking if you know how.

Delish!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I cut mine into strips and stir fry in olive oil and montreal chicken spice.
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    If it's the texture you don't like - try shredding it - just google a healthy shredded chicken crockpot recipe - look for a sauce/flavour that appeals to your taste and give it a whirl :wink:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Eat pork or fish instead? Seriously, nothing special about chicken. If you don't like chicken, eat beef, pork, fish, or whatever other protein source you want.
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If you like ranch dressing, this is a great recipe. Makes the chicken really tender, which helps with texture.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/rosemary-ranch-chicken-kabobs/

i dont usually do as kabobs, but bake it in the sauce at 350 for 20 min.
  • Chrissybebo
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com they have a lot of really good receipes.
  • erinbuberinxo
    Options
    Thanks guys these all sound really good! I think I'll definitely try shredding it like a lot of you have suggested :) I'll be trying all these recipes over the next few weeks
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If you like the crispy aspect of fried, google "perfect pan fried chicken thighs". You'll get the nice crispiness with no breading. You can even do the recipe without adding any oil if you like. Just don't try to turn the thighs the 1st time until they no longer stick to the pan.
  • cmkile1003
    cmkile1003 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Bumping for recipes
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    When I ate meat I used to LOVE this Weight Watchers recipe. Chicken Thighs:
    1/2 cup plain yogurt (fat free), 1 Tablespoon Paprika, 1 tablespoon mined and peeled fresh ginger, 1 garlic clove minced (I used 2), 1 teaspoon curry powder, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads(or turmeric), 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 ground black pepper. Mix ingredients,put them in a ziplock bag - add 4 (1/4 pound) skinless and boneless chicken thighs. squeeze out air. refrigerate turning occasionally. Leave in at least 8 hours.
    Preheat oven to 450. Place on roasting rack. Spray with nonstick spray. (Sprinkle with salt and pepper now not in marinade but I'm too lazy to change the top) Cook at least 22-25 minutes.
    They say to discard the marinade - but I just take the extra marinade and I place in the water I use to boil the rice.