Frozen Mixed Veggies?

Options
What do you do to spice up a bag of frozen mixed veggies? How do you cook them?

Replies

• mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Microwave. olive oil and garlic or any mixed seasoning I have in my cabinet (Mrs. Dash, all seasoning, Goya)
  • Kittybeemine
    Options
    Add noodles and stir fry. Add garlic,spices whatever you like. Soy sauce. And really nice. Its a staple for me.
  • SnoopysBitch
    Options
    Microwave. olive oil and garlic or any mixed seasoning I have in my cabinet (Mrs. Dash, all seasoning, Goya)

I don't have a microwave (teeny apartment) would an oven be better than the stove?
  • mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Oven would be good. Here is a link on how. you may want to thaw before cooking or it takes a long time: http://voices.yahoo.com/baking-frozen-vegetables-saves-energy-12149129.html?cat=22
  • RT_ASB
    RT_ASB Posts: 2
    Options
    I scramble egg whites and frozen veggies in a teaspoon of olive oil until nicely done - crispy. add salt, pepper, cayenne pepper or fajita seasoning.
  • SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options

I don't have a microwave (teeny apartment) would an oven be better than the stove?

I cook them in a small pot with a tiny bit of water if I'm not using a microwave.

I pretty much put frozen mixed vegetables in everything. Great with stir fry, curry, lentils, etc.
  • SnoopysBitch
    Options
    I scramble egg whites and frozen veggies in a teaspoon of olive oil until nicely done - crispy. add salt, pepper, cayenne pepper or fajita seasoning.

I do have plenty of cayenne pepper! I love a little spice!
  • Snoozypaws3000
    Snoozypaws3000 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I steam mine in the microwave and then make up an Ainsley Harriott Mulligatawny soup and pour it over the top....instant...well almost instant vegetable curry.

I also pop them into my slow cooker with a low calorie jar of sauce like creamy mushroom or spicy tomato and use them as a base for a grilled chicken or fish as a main course.

Sometimes I do this this in pans and do half in a low fat bechemel sauce and half in a tomatoe based sauce and then I stack them up with layers of pasta sheets between and a sprinkling of parmesan cheesefor a low calorie vegetable lasagne

I also turn them into soups by boiling them in a water with a stock cube and seasoning [I usually add about 4 oz of potato or sweet potato to give it a bit of body] and then blend it really well until thick and velvety smooth.

Depending on what frozen veg I've used I either add some chilli for hot and spicy or a swirl of low fat creme fraiche for other soups. Sometimes, if I have the calories I will pop a slice of baguette on the top and grate some cheese on it and pop it under a hot grill until its all brown and bubbly

Sky x
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I love making fried rice with them! Here's the recipe I use from the 400-calorie cookbook:

Vegetable Fried Brown Rice with Egg Scrambles & Tomato (4 servings)
    350 calories, 9 g fat, 1.5 g sat fat, 590 mg sodium, 56 g carb, 6 g fiber, 11 g protein, 6% dv calcium

1. Scramble 2 eggs in 1 tsp. canola oil for approx. 2-3 min on medium-high heat, then remove from skillet.
    2. Add 3 tsp. canola oil, 1 chopped onion, 1 tbsp. grated fresh ginger, and 2 minced cloves garlic to skillet. Cook for 2 minutes or until onion is soft.
    3. Add 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables and cook 1.5 min or until the veggies begin to soften.
    4. Stir in 1 chopped tomato and cook 2-3 min, or until tomato begins to collapse.
    5. Add 4 cups cold leftover brown rice. Cook and stir for 2-3 min to heat through.
    6. Mix in eggs, 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, and 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute to heat through. Serve hot.

Note: I usually double the veggies, sometimes omitting the onion if there's onion in the veggie mix. Also, fresh brown rice works fine too. I made a similar fried rice dish last night with brown rice that I cooked in low sodium vegetable broth and it turned out great. To speed this meal up, I usually use no-salt-added canned diced tomatoes, drained.
  • SnoopysBitch
    Options
    Thank you so much everybody for the great ideas! I think I have dinner all figured out!
  • Razzles115
    Razzles115 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A tiny bit of sesame oil can work wonders! I add it to frozen veggies as a snack, or put it in stir fry's and fried rice. It really adds a depth of flavour without adding too many calories.
  • usmcgrl1
    usmcgrl1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This sounds great, going to try it this week. Thanks for the nutrients breakdown.
  • usmcgrl1
    usmcgrl1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Made these tonight, Great with the sesame oil. Might be my new way of cooking them. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I steam mine in the microwave and then make up an Ainsley Harriott Mulligatawny soup and pour it over the top....instant...well almost instant vegetable curry.

I also pop them into my slow cooker with a low calorie jar of sauce like creamy mushroom or spicy tomato and use them as a base for a grilled chicken or fish as a main course.

Sometimes I do this this in pans and do half in a low fat bechemel sauce and half in a tomatoe based sauce and then I stack them up with layers of pasta sheets between and a sprinkling of parmesan cheesefor a low calorie vegetable lasagne

I also turn them into soups by boiling them in a water with a stock cube and seasoning [I usually add about 4 oz of potato or sweet potato to give it a bit of body] and then blend it really well until thick and velvety smooth.

Depending on what frozen veg I've used I either add some chilli for hot and spicy or a swirl of low fat creme fraiche for other soups. Sometimes, if I have the calories I will pop a slice of baguette on the top and grate some cheese on it and pop it under a hot grill until its all brown and bubbly

Sky x

Never thought of blending them... Thanks!
  • nicor44
    nicor44 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the soup idea! I usually also include a can of diced tomatoes, because I love veggie soups with a tomato base.
  • HeatherBrown4
    Options
    Add chicken quirn bits and fry it up and add a low calorie sauce?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever think to use frozen veggies but might do it a bit more often after reading some of these great ideas.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Stir fry. Oil, soy sauce, sriracha, a little fruit juice and corn starch to thicken and you have a delicious meal. Add your protein of choice.

I got a cheap wok for like $6 at walmart when I started making stir frys regularly
  • 1Lightstep
    1Lightstep Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use Mint Sauce from a jar, to liven up meals. I have tried it with a variety of vegetables. It does not have many calories and can add a bit of zing to a meal quickly.

I sometimes add onions, which seem to compliment most vegetables.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I turn them into creamed soup :)