Bento boxes!

Options
So I have a collection of bento boxes (small, Japanese-style lunch boxes) that I want to start using more in the new year. I was thinking about making up a bunch to keep in the freezer instead of buying so many Lean Cuisine meals. But space is limited and I'm running out of ideas for nutrient-dense foods that will fit in the bento boxes and keep me full.

Any ideas of stuff that will freeze well and fit in them?

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Where did you get yours? I want one, but they all seem to be pricey.
  • shirochan
    shirochan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Most came from various anime conventions ^^. I can sometimes find them at Asian grocery stores, and last time I went World Market had one or two.

Also, your profile picture is lovely because Blue Exorcist <3
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    basically anything soft or squishy will fit in them.
    Potatoes, sweet potatoes soup, rice.

I'm guessing you could cut up some chicken too and just make it bento size.

peanut butter.

Why not use them to hold nuts and other things similar to a graze box?
  • Torgrills
    Torgrills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If you're on Pinterest, type bento into the search bar. There's some awesome boards that have a ton of healthy bento recipes, some of which I would have never even thought of had I not been bored enough to do a random search. :)
  • shirochan
    Options
    Hmm, how well does rice freeze?
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I love this website-- it has hundreds of pics of bento style lunches. I used this site when planning meals to send for my kids' lunches... but they can easily be for us grown ups, too! These were just some of my favorite pictures. Check out their website!!

2qbuq37.jpg
  • shirochan
    Options
    Wow, those look so tasty!! And Pinterest does have lots of good ideas, lol.

Thank you guys so much!!
  • Dugleik
    Dugleik Posts: 125
    Options
    I love this website-- it has hundreds of pics of bento style lunches. I used this site when planning meals to send for my kids' lunches... but they can easily be for us grown ups, too! These were just some of my favorite pictures. Check out their website!!

A quick thanks for pointing me to this awesome site!
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

I have to start bringing my lunch to work next week, I know I'll be more likely to want to eat it if it's cute. Great site!
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hmm, how well does rice freeze?

I don't know how well they freeze in bento boxes, but...if you put them in a ziploc before putting them in the box, they reheat wonderfully in the microwave. I make a ton of rice and just portion them out into ziploc and just zap them when needed. Just make sure you keep an eye on the microwave so the bag doesn't burst. You don't want to vent the bag so that the rice will be nice and moist.
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I love Laptop Lunches, I have their bento box.

Rice freezes very well, especially if you pack it up into single servings in plastic wrap. Chili also freezes very well and is great for a bento.

Man, now I want chili.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I will have to try putting my rice in a Ziploc bag! Portion control is probably my biggest problem. I can eat as much, usually more, than my husband who is about 70-80 pounds heavier. Sad but true.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Most came from various anime conventions ^^. I can sometimes find them at Asian grocery stores, and last time I went World Market had one or two.

Also, your profile picture is lovely because Blue Exorcist <3

Thanks! =)
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    ahhh I would love to get a cute bento box and do this! hmmmm
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Behold, my personal bento lunches in all their non-creative glory!

0kaKa7Ml.jpg

yaa722Yl.jpg

Lc6V9WKl.jpg

oyOb5GAl.jpg

And to think it all started with winning a bento box in a game in Osaka... :-\
  • shirochan
    Options
    Yours look lovely! Much neater than anything I've ever made, lol.

Thank you for the tips on freezing rice! I will have to give it a try tonight!!
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    Here's another from today:

cLNBuaHl.jpg
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options

cLNBuaHl.jpg

Your bentos are incredible!!
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

cLNBuaHl.jpg

Your bentos are incredible!!

Thank you. (I'm glad you can see the photo cause it's not showing up on my end, LOL)
  • jkepler77
    jkepler77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello Carnivorous, I am new here. Your bento box items look wonderful. Are those recipes that you prepare yourself? Ty