Exercise After Knee Surgery

Options
Hi Everyone!

I just had knee surgery and am having trouble with my knee function and occasional swelling. Does anyone have any suggestions about good exercises that they have done to lose weight that don't require strenuous use of the knee? My doctor is less than accommodating when it comes to my post-surgery questions.

Also, has anyone else experienced this and can tell me their regimen or some tricks to exercising? I was told that I should do more cardio instead of weights but I dont know how I can do cardio without serious weight on and use of my knee...

I just need to get to the point where i'm burning a good amount of calories per day! Any info is appreciated. :)

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Get a new dr. If you just had surgery, internet strangers aren't the best people to ask for advice. You didn't mention what kind of surgery, why you had it, when you had it, what the dr told you to do, etc. Are you not doing PT after the surgery? You can lose weight through diet alone - you don't have to burn a lot of calories.

I used the bike after my surgery, but I would only listen to your dr or PT.
  • Kristiw907
    Kristiw907 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I swim at least 3 to 5 times a week I am starting to do it a lot more since the new year. Swimming does not have any strain on my knees and you will burn a lot of calories. I am always worn out after an hour of swimming. I have heard a lot of people on the biggest loser who have knee pain swim as their form of exercise. I have also noticed I gain muscle in all areas of my body which is a huge improvement!
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You should be receiving some sort of physical therapy after knee surgery. I have experience with this, fractured my left kneecap in a car accident a few years ago. I had tons of PT after each surgery. Get a new Dr. ASAP!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    This question is impossible to answer without know what kind of knee surgery you had.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Does your doctor have you going to physical therapy? If not, ask for a referral! Your PT is probably the best person to ask about exercises and rehab. Then, whatever exercises your PT gives you, do them religiously.

I had knee surgery 6 years ago (blown ACL) and it took a loooong time and A LOT of work to get back to some semblance of normal. I saw a physical therapist three times a week for the first month and then tapered off. My PT was far more help post-surgery than my orthopedic surgeon and I think that is common with surgeons. You need to have an exercise routine developed specifically for what your knee issue was. They aren't one size fits all and what worked for my ACL rehab might not work for whatever you had done.

Go ask your doctor for a PT referral!
  • spongeh
    spongeh Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You should be in physiotherapy after a knee operation, please don't do anything without speaking to your Doctor or PT.

I had 8 months physio before my knee operation and about 10 months after, it then took nearly 2 years before I was full able to start proper training. The 18m of physio I would only do what the PT told me I was alowed to do.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    You should be receiving some sort of physical therapy after knee surgery. I have experience with this, fractured my left kneecap in a car accident a few years ago. I had tons of PT after each surgery. Get a new Dr. ASAP!

^^^^^ this ^^^^^^ PT can really help with setting up a programme.... I had a knee replacement 18 months ago and spent hours on the exercise bike - and aqua jogging in the pool.....

More info on your surgery, and I can most probably try and give more specific advice, but really suggest you see a PT - surgeons cut you - PT's rehabilitate you - from someone with 3 orthopedic surgeons, and 2 PT's on speed dial ;-)
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Agreed that you should seek a second opinion from a doc that's willing to put together a post op recovery plan for you.

Swimming is very easy on the joints as mentioned, as well as using a recumbent bike. I personally have turned to weight lifting exclusively since I broke my ankle in July. I most likely will not be able to participate in vigorous cardio activities for quite some time (years possibly) due to the extent of my soft tissue and nerve injuries, so I have turned to lifting as my main source of fitness.

Also, for whatever its worth, the quality of your diet matters a lot when healing. The breaks in my bones healed really well and in a very reasonable amount of time thanks to minimizing processed foods.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Im surprised that he did not put you in physical therap. That generall follows any type of surgery suchs as yours. generally the PT which take you through a series of exercises that will strengthen the supporting muscles around the knee and also recommedn the type of cardio that you can tolerate. Swimming makes sense but again, check with your PT.
  • mmarinaespinoza
    mmarinaespinoza Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think you are all right. My surgeon denied me physical therapy. He said I didn't need it. But then he is not a very nice person. Maybe if I ask my regular doctor he will be willing to refer me.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think you are all right. My surgeon denied me physical therapy. He said I didn't need it. But then he is not a very nice person. Maybe if I ask my regular doctor he will be willing to refer me.

What??? No PT after knee surgery? That doesn't even make sense! Definitely go talk to another doctor!!!