Fitbit Flex

Just got a fit bit flex set it all up on my phone and it's been charging,when I look on the app it says I've burned 1000 cals.
I haven't even put it on my wrist yet

Please help

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    I just ordered one today, I will follow this thread with interest in case mine does the same thing!
  • slb573
    slb573 Posts: 18 Member
    It makes a predicted amount you've burnt today it averages out how many you've burnt since 12:01 am based on what you've told it in the set up (ie active or couch potato).
  • brandnewsnickerpuss
    brandnewsnickerpuss Posts: 110 Member
    I started using the FitBit about two weeks ago; it seems to calculate the number of calories you've used up just by being alive. It also tells me that I've already walked 56 steps when I've just gotten out of bed. *lol* Not sure how accurate it is, and no idea how it works. :)

There, that was helpful. :P
  • But I haven't even put it on yet
  • But is it helping
  • Let me now how you get on
  • pcpop7
    pcpop7 Posts: 161 Member
    That is your BMR from midnight. It takes your BMR based on your weight, gender, etc... and adds that in every 15 minutes I believe and then if you do steps in between it adds them on top.

Even though you have not had it on then you have burnt at your BMR since midnight and that is why you are seeing 1000.

Each morning when you wake up you will also have accumulated calories burnt from your sleep even though you will likely have zero steps.

(First time poster here but have a fitbit FORCE)
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    It counts the calories you burn just by being alive.
  • I get it now
    Thank you
    That is your BMR from midnight. It takes your BMR based on your weight, gender, etc... and adds that in every 15 minutes I believe and then if you do steps in between it adds them on top.

Even though you have not had it on then you have burnt at your BMR since midnight and that is why you are seeing 1000.

Each morning when you wake up you will also have accumulated calories burnt from your sleep even though you will likely have zero steps.

• Thanks you
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

True story. Mine tells me I burn 16 calories for every 15 minutes while at rest (sleeping). Moving about increases the calories burned. As for accuracy, I can't imagine that it is 100% accurate, but I do feel more comfortable that I am burning more than I am eating. I also know that if I am having a lazy couch day, it will subtract calories from my daily allowance.

Since you just got it today, I would say don't take today as gospel. Play around with it for the next few days and see how you feel. I have found it fun and interesting, but I like numbers and charts. Then again, I also don't allow it to dictate my days.
  • Just not sure I understand it
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member

Bragging? :angry:
  • Do I want to set it to my dominant hand
  • pcpop7

Bragging? :angry:

What would I be bragging about ? I would prefer the waterproof flex :-(

Or you mean losing my posting virginity ?
  • pcpop7
    Do I want to set it to my dominant hand

Depends what hand you are wearing it on. If you write with your left and are wearing on your left set to dominant and same for right handers.

I think it just changes the sensitivity for other things mate, like waving, eating, so it does not confuse them too much with steps.

If you sit playing rocks, scissors, paper all day though then it is going to miscount some hand gestures as steps.

:-)
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Another Fitbit thread! Gee, I wonder what will follow here shortly? Oh yeah, "I love my Fitbit! It changed my life..."

So on and so forth.:glasses:
  • Ok so I'm left handed and I'll stick it on my left hand.
    I wish you could make a living from Rock Paper Scissors
  • epazia
    epazia Posts: 126 Member
    keep in mind that if you swing your arms doing any sitting activity it tends to pick up on that a step hence wearing it on your off arm. For example if I swipe my arm back and forth rolling a ball of yarn it sees that as me walking. In addition, if you hold on to the arms of a treadmill while walking it will not register the steps you are taking accurately. Just a couple things I have learned. Don't get frustrated this has a learning curve, but it is worth it.
  • First time on here and first post so never seen any other posts
    Another Fitbit thread! Gee, I wonder what will follow here shortly? Oh yeah, "I love my Fitbit! It changed my life..."

So on and so forth.:glasses: