What's your Vitamin Regimen?

Options

Replies

• twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    D3, B12, B complex, A, E, magnesium, zinc, C w/rose hips, and twice a week iron. At one point doc did blood work and found out I had almost ZERO vitamin D in my body! Took prescription vitamin D for 3 months with very little results. Started doing over the counter of the aforementioned, and my level(s) are good! Therefore, I don't believe all the hype by the media that vitamin supplements don't work!

Prescription D was a dud for me too-didn't change my level at all (I've been stuck at a 21 for years). My new doctor told me to just get something over the counter so I'm doing that now. Will go in for new blood work in April, so it will be interesting to see if my number has changed.

Eta: the prescription was for D2 and I'm now taking D3, so I wonder if that will make a difference?
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Eating food.

^^This. IMO, vitamins and supplements are just another way to drain your wallet. You can find all the vitamins and minerals your body needs in the foods you eat.

I disagree. What foods are going to give you adequate vitamin D3, especially for those of us who have a limited amount of sun exposure for 3-6 months during the year? What about calcium for someone who is lactose intolerant? One would have to eat an awful lot of kale, bread, tofu, and fish to meet the RDA which is 1,000 - 1,200 mg. What food contains DHEA which is a hormone that the body needs?

There are a lot of functions in the body that need support and you can't get all the adequate nutrients from food alone. Sure you can eat as healthy as you think but it's probably not enough. I eat fairly healthy and I get my blood work done twice a year and I am constantly having to tweak/up my supplement intake because I am simply not getting enough nutrients from the foods that I consume.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    green vegetables, berries, plus full fat dairy and egg yolks (for fat soluble vitamins) plus all the other food I eat

this
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Eating food.

^^This. IMO, vitamins and supplements are just another way to drain your wallet. You can find all the vitamins and minerals your body needs in the foods you eat.

I disagree. What foods are going to give you adequate vitamin D3, especially for those of us who have a limited amount of sun exposure for 3-6 months during the year? What about calcium for someone who is lactose intolerant? One would have to eat an awful lot of kale, bread, tofu, and fish to meet the RDA which is 1,000 - 1,200 mg. What food contains DHEA which is a hormone that the body needs?

There are a lot of functions in the body that need support and you can't get all the adequate nutrients from food alone. Sure you can eat as healthy as you think but it's probably not enough. I eat fairly healthy and I get my blood work done twice a year and I am constantly having to tweak/up my supplement intake because I am simply not getting enough nutrients from the foods that I consume.

However did our palaeolithic ancestors survive without vitamins pills then? Vitamin D depending on latitude and skin colour may be a genuine issue (our palaeolithic ancestors went around naked a lot more than modern people do, hence got more sun exposure, and skin colour evolved to suit the latitude to balance vitamin D absorption against sun damage from too much UV), however you can get all the other vitamins and minerals the body needs from food alone, otherwise humans would never have made it through the palaeolithic era. What did Homo erectus do when she was deficient in any nutrient? She'd get cravings for foods that contained it so she'd go and seek out those foods and eat them.

most modern hunter-gatherers are lactose intolerant (as is probably half the population of the planet), the hunter-gatherer diet includes no dairy whatsoever other than extended breastfeeding of small children (up to age approx 5) and they are very healthy and have strong bones. A lot of green vegetables contain calcium, and hunter-gatherers eat a lot of plants. They also eat the whole animal (i.e. bone marrow, organ meat) not just the muscles, so that's another way to get a whole bunch of extra nutrients that western people tend to miss. So yes it's definitely possible to get enough calcium without eating dairy. In fact some studies suggest that as the protein in milk makes it somewhat harder for the body to absorb the calcium, green vegetables are actually a better source of calcium.

I get all my vitamins from food, and vitamin D from the sun (I have light skin and live at an almost tropical lattitude so that's not hard for me). In fact in the past when I had anaemia, iron supplements didn't help that much, but eating a daily meal of red meat, green vegetables and beans bumped up my iron levels really well. So in my experience, food is better than vitamin pills for nutritional deficiencies. So if I find I'm deficient in any nutrient, I look up what foods contain it and eat more of those, as I did with iron. Vitamin supplements have their place, just that they're not necessary in the quantities that many people take them, and people greatly underestimate how much nutrition they can get from food.

Also, when it comes to bone health, weight bearing exercise is required to increase bone density. Taking more calcium alone isn't enough, whether in the form of supplements or calcium rich food .
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin, calcium, phyto hair and nails, and potassium (I am low potassium be careful just willy-nilly taking it because it can cause heart problems) :smile:
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i buy awsome multi plus and extra B suplament and a D and then... and then.....and then.. i forget to take them:blushing:
  • iheartbiology
    iheartbiology Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Prenatal, Vitamin D, Fish & Flax Oil, and CoQ10.
    Basically, I'm on a preconception routine...

Prenatal for Folic Acid to reduce chances of Neural Tube defects in babies
    Vitamin D to reduce autoimmunities and allergies in babies
    Fish and Flax Oil to increase brain function in babies
    CoQ10 in improve fertility and increase chances of having said baby
  • sjlawgirl
    sjlawgirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Multi vitamin, turmeric and bioperin to help with the absorption of turmeric.
  • deeksha_s
    deeksha_s Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Umm, none except food. But in occasional cases where I'm deficient I have taken supplements. With my Indian family, they would never understand if I simply started taking vitamins. They have home remedy or ayurvedic solution for every thing.

Vit D : They'll send me out for morning walks or force me to eat finger millet.
    Vit A : mangoes n carrot overload
    Calcium : Milk n yogurt.
    Vit C : Oranges n citrus fruits.
    Hemoglobin : They make me beetroot n spinach juice everyday.
    Proteins : Again yogurt n pulses

My family and I have always been vegetarians. We use Turmeric, coriander, cumin, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, jaggery in our daily cooking. We use ghee, cream & oil moderately since it helps the joints with lubrication. We oil our hair weekly before washing or apply yogurt 15 mins in advance, so it lends natural softness and shine. Over here we strongly believe in home medicine. We do take allopathic treatment but only when essential.
  • naariel
    naariel Posts: 37
    Options
    I take a complement "all in one" because I have multiple deficiencies due to Crohn's disease and increased need in vitamin C because of one med I take. Some of the complement is bonus, but since it's the same price, the same two pills per day and everything is dosed to avoid overdose where it's possible to overdose (minerals), why not.
    The complete list of vitamins : A, B1, B2, B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6, B7 (biotin), B9 (folic acid), B12, C, D, E.
    And very small doses of the dietary elements : calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, selenium, copper, molybdenum, manganese.

And food to complete the requirements of dietary elements (including the ones totally absent in the complement), proteins, fibers and essential fatty acids (keeping the good ratio between omega 3 and 6 with canola or linseed oil, and oily fish such as mackerels or sardines once a week).
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    Eating food.

The problem with calcium supplements is that they may increase the risk of CVD and kidney stones. I understand that it's probably hard to get sufficient without dairy but here are some other decent sources.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23880796
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22626900

I don't take any supplements except vit D due to a recently discovered deficiency. My family is susceptible to skin cancer so I cover myself in SPF50 before I leave the house every day. It's good for skin protection but not so good for vit D synthesis.

I do believe that you can get adequate nutrition with a good diet. I'm not in favour of supplements except in cases of diagnosed deficiency.

Some supplements have actually increased risk of disease eg. The beta carotene supplement study in smokers. They had to stop the clinical trial because supplementation it seemed to increase risk of lung cancer.

Edited to add references.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I take Calcium, Omega-3's and Greens+ Daily Detox.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Alive multivitamin
    tonalin cla
    vitamin d
    calcium
    green tea extract
    resveratrol
    viviscal
    probiotic
    saw palmetto
    collagen chews
    fish oil/omegas
  • endlesswonderr
    endlesswonderr Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    only and always Vitimin D! I learned the hard way that vitamin's are not necessary unless you have an actual deficiency or something of the such. The last time I took a multi vitamin it ended up messing up my bowel movements and I got insanely sick because of it. :(
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    fresh vegetables, fresh fruits, and an overall balanced diet.

i have never needed a vitamin pill and pretty much grew up being taught that if you wanted some extra vitamins, just eat some greens and a mango outside in the sunlight :laugh:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    What's your vitamin regimen?

Yogurt, Kombucha and saurkraut for Probiotics

Citrus Fruits for Vitamin C

Sunshine for Vitamin D

Collard greens and spinach for Iron and calcium

So on and so on..............

I get my vitamins from the foods I eat
  • emboslice94
    Options
    Fish oil.

And my iron levels tend to dip sometimes, so sometimes I'm on iron and B12 pills.
  • RaluKitty
    RaluKitty Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Magnesium and Calcium Citrate (I'm a dedicated runner so I need these for my muscles and bones, especially to avoid cramping; I also eat yogurt and nuts daily, but not to reach the amount I need)
    Fish Oil (a couple of times a week when I remember - I don't eat natural sources for this)
    Iron (prescription)
    B6 + B12 occasionally (prescription)
    Emergen-C occasionally - especially during the winter or when I need extra energy (it also has lots of Bs)
  • vbodyme
    vbodyme Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I replaced it all with a daily serving of Shakeology, that simple :)
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I eat well. That's the most important, but I take a multivitamin plus chia seeds to cover my bases.