Fitbit in the water

Options
I got a Fitbit Zip for myself for Christmas, and have enjoyed using it for the past week. I love to see the graphs on the site fill in with my activity! Now I want to be able to use it when I'm doing water aerobics. Has anyone found a good, reliably waterproof, case or cover that could be used in the pool? I'm sure my swimsuit could hold it securely against my torso but sure don't want to risk killing my Fitbit.

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    It's a pedometer. It's only really reasonably accurate for walking.
    Put it in your locker.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I don't expect it to be 100% accurate, but I want to see what it does. There must be something waterproof that would work...
  • GetSoda
    Options
    I don't expect it to be 100% accurate, but I want to see what it does. There must be something waterproof that would work...

it will register a step every time it's jostled with enough force, that's what it will do.

But if you absolutely must, stick it in any small waterproof container. Put a sandwich bag on it as well if you are super concerned. The data obtained will be useless, but what the hell. Science I guess.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I do shallow water aerobics and water jogging. Mostly a lot of jumping. So there is the same amount of jostling as if I am walking or doing an aerobics class.
  • GetSoda
    Options
    Make sure it's secure in the container though, and doesn't rattle around. It will probably double count if it isn't secure.
  • 1safechick
    1safechick Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The fitbit flex is waterproof up to 6.6 foot depth - thus you can wear in in the water if you're not diving beyond 6 feet. The idea of the fitbit is to track all of your activities (thus take if off only to charge). I've been using mine for all exercises even other than walking, and it has done an okay job in calculating the calories burned (although not 100% accurate, it's always high so don't eat all of them back) and in 'very active minutes'. When I jog or ride my bike, it seems to work.. It's not a perfect tool, but it'll get you most of the way there. Good luck!
  • 1safechick
    1safechick Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't read that you had the zip, my bad.