Food Suggestions Please?

Options
I am looking for some new foods to incorporate into my meal plan to keep things interesting.

I found some Lean Cuisine 180 calorie snack pizzas to eat with a massive salad for lunch, 100 calorie Knudsen's cottage cheese doubles, and of course there is always PB2 (and other staples). What is your favorite healthier food option to add into your meal plan?

I am not completely strict with my meals (just trying to maintain) so any ideas are welcome : ) TY!

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    How do you define "healthier"? I'm not trying to be awkward, but people have different definitions.
  • FunnyFit
    FunnyFit Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am trying to stay away from bad stuff like chips and cakes and wd like to update some of my add-ins w some new items that will put me towards the amount of calories I need but with healthier foods. Just trying to get ideas.
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from processed foods weight watchers and lean cuisine meals because of the sodium. Some days I do salads or steamed vegs and a grilled or baked chicken. Homemade soups work. Also do Smoothies with fruit and vegetables. For snacks, I do reduced calorie and light salted Pringles and fiber ones bars most of the time.
  • jurbi
    jurbi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    check out emeals.com.. i'm doing the low calorie meal plan but there are others like paleo and gluten free. My meal plan consists of a lot of fresh ingredients, not processed. And the recipes i'm getting are all under 500 calories.
  • ItsABreeThing
    ItsABreeThing Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I really want a snack or something sweet to just munch on, I love to eat cantaloupe. It's very filling and an entire melon is 200-300 calories.

When it comes down to it, skip the processed, chemical laiden, artificial, gmo food. Go natural: stick to what the earth has provided with us for thousands of years. Not just to maintain your weight, but to improve your health.
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I love sliced red and yellow bell pepper dipped in hummus. Also, popcorn. Crunchy, salty, tasty popcorn. :P Really tasty is to mix a lot of plain, air popped popcorn with some healthy nuts and some chocolate chips. Salty and sweet! Just be mindful of how much of the nuts and chocolate chips you are adding.
  • jacqueinhutto
    jacqueinhutto Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    tonight im baking chicken coated with egg and then bran flakes. Geen beans on the side. My favorite snack is toasted wheat bread with 1 tsp peanut butter and sliced banannas,...yummmm.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I just started logging again so please feel free to check out my diary. There are also a good amount of meals logged before March of this year as well.

Check out the photo albums of this facebook page, lots of good healthy recipes

https://www.facebook.com/TheSassyGourmet
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Increasing the veggies and cutting back on the size of the main entree or making a veggie soup are great starts. I use Suzie's Crackers or Mary's Gone Crackers as a base for a delightful snack so I don't a higher calorie snack bar.
  • FunnyFit
    Options
    These are all great suggestions, ty!

I found some vegan Korean nori for 69 cents at whole foods that is only 30 calories per bag and it is so good in place of the salty, crispy chips cravings. It is located near the kettle chips by the salad bar/deli.

Anyone like the VitaTops by Vitalicious? If so, what flavor?
  • charleyreedto175
    charleyreedto175 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Fiber Veggies: Carrots, Green Broccoli are my first choices.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of meat, veggies, fruit, nuts, icecream, pizza, burgers etc. that fit into my maintenance target.
  • zipnguyen
    zipnguyen Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    everything
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, nuts , avocado... All good for you but higher in cals to help you maintain
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    half a pear and a string cheese = 100 calories
    8 almonds and 4 choco chips and a Tablespoon of raisins = 100 calories
    3 egg whites and 1/2 c of spinach and 1 Tablespoon of feta = 100 calories
    1/4 c of black beans, and 1 Tablespoon of salsa and 1 Tablespoon of Greek yogurt = 100 calories
    1 cup of melon balls and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese
    1/2 hard boiled egg (no yolk) and 2 Tablespoons of avocado + slat = 100 calories

5 brown rice sushi rolls (like 5 ind pieces) = 140 calories
    1/2 avocado = 125 calories
    1 hard boiled egg and 1 banana = 175 calories
    1/2 cup of roasted pumpkin seeds = 143 calories

hope you like some of these!
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I consider Lean Cuisines and other similar packaged foods to be UNHEALTHY because of the preservatives and sodium. Just because the calories are reasonable doesn't mean it's healthy, keep that in mind.

Some of my favorite healthy staples: oatmeal with peanut butter & raisins, cottage cheese with a spoonful of salsa on top or with pineapple, carrots and hummus, apple or banana with peanut butter, a go-to simple dinner of baked chicken breast or salmon filet/baked sweet potato with cinnamon/steamed veggies, Greek yogurt sometimes with a spoonful of peanut butter mixed in or berries on top, just a plain spoonful of peanut butter for a snack (I'm a peanut butter addict if you couldn't tell, haha). Just to name a few. :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I love nuts - watch your amounts.

Great low cal/low carb lunch is a fit and delicious tortilla with roast beef and some crunchy greens.

Salads with nuts and fresh or dried fruits are wonderful with any meal. Skip the dressing or use balsamic vinegar.

I use Ryvita or similar flatbread (30 calories) instead of breads with roast beef or turkey or similar (look at sodium). Add meat, half ounce of cheese, and microwave 10 seconds. Or not.

Sweet potato salad.

Jicama slaw.

If you want something really different, break out your food processor and look at a raw food cookbook. VERY different and quite delicious. Watch your portion sizes.

Lean cuisine - and any processed food - have a lot of sodium, like someone else just said.
  • kerrbear79
    kerrbear79 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    These are all great suggestions, ty!

I found some vegan Korean nori for 69 cents at whole foods that is only 30 calories per bag and it is so good in place of the salty, crispy chips cravings. It is located near the kettle chips by the salad bar/deli.

Anyone like the VitaTops by Vitalicious? If so, what flavor?

Yes, I eat a vitatop almost every single day. If I don't then I have to take an iron pill to meet that 100% iron goal. It's like eating a multi-vitamin seriously, but not in the taste lol. If you get the right flavors they are delicious but some are not so good. My personal favorites are the dark chocolate pomegranate(so freaking good I have to force myself to have only one), pumpkin spice, & carrot cake (topped with light cream cheese seriously tastes like carrot cake!!!
  • FunnyFit
    Options
    What? What? Did someone say carrot cake?! Yes, I saw that flavor and am glad you sd it was good bc those things can quickly go seriously awry!

I am always way under for sodium but agree that I do not want so many processed foods in my life... It is the sugar that I am having trouble eliminating. Everything has flipping' sugar in it and I had no idea! I am also very much in need of grab-n-go items bc of a busy lifestyle so the quick healthy whole foods you are all suggesting are perfect!

Thanks all for the suggestions! Keep them coming, I have a lot to overhaul here to maintain 2200 calories/day.