Really Overweight.

Options
Hi.
I have 10 stone to shed so I am not in for the quick fix.
I am going to the gym for the first time tomorrow I have had an induction to show me the machines but I have no idea what I should do and for how long on each.
I am very very unfit, so I will need to build up my exercise. I am not foolish I know just how hard and far I have to go but am after some advice on best practice for a fat, unfit, gym goer!!!!

Replies

• lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of heavier people at my gym using exercise bikes; easier on joints and less pressure on feet, etc. than a treadmill. Personal trainers work with people of all sizes and levels of fitness. Do the introduction, and then schedule a couple of sessions with a personal trainer.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Find out what you enjoy doing and do that, you are much more likely to stick with it that way. When you are in the habit of exercising you can worry about forcing yourself to do things you don't like :P
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Find out what you enjoy doing and do that, you are much more likely to stick with it that way. When you are in the habit of exercising you can worry about forcing yourself to do things you don't like :P

THIS! If you don't like the exercising that you are doing you aren't going to stick with it. Since you are starting out, go low impact for sure whether it be bike, treatmill, eliptical, etc. Just keep moving and enjoy it and you will have success. Good luck!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine just sent me this link, because I was nervous about going to the gym by myself for the first time, even though I work out almost daily at home. Maybe it will help you. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-gym-guide.html

Find something you enjoy doing that gets your heartrate up, and maybe even look into strength training. Ok, not maybe. It's a good idea, trust me. Good luck, OP!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Love that you're starting out at the gym right off, exercise certainly can help you feel better and look better.

That said, remember that you can't out-exercise a bad diet. You need to follow the guidelines on MFP with a moderate weight loss goal (you could probably start with lose 1 1/2 pounds a week and adjust as necessary) and track everything you it. Go ahead and eat back the exercise calories, as a deficit is already worked in :wink: But if you don't track your calories it can be very easy to eat more than you're using, especially as you're unused to working out.

Good luck! Things can be a bit rough at first. Starting a new routine can cause some water retention for a bit, so don't put too much emphasis on what the scales say for a while. You can do this. :flowerforyou:
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Taking the first step is scary no matter how fit or unfit you are. Ask the personnel there for advise on where to start. Theb mayb also have trainers avaliable .
  • amp1276
    amp1276 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have approximately the same amount of weight to loose so I understand where you are. I started out at the gym also and did my diet and discovered I wasn't really loosing weight. I finally figured out that my body wasn't shedding the pounds because it was in shock. So what has been working for me is to only focus on my diet first and occasionally I do some light toning exercises on the weight machines but that is only to build a little muscle to help with my arthritis. The more muscle you build the more calories you burn. But to be honest, you won't burn enough calories to loose weight, you have to start by eating less of them first.
  • blackNBUK
    blackNBUK Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to be a little careful with what advice you listen to. A lot of the time people don't have experience with being seriously overweight and what worked for them might not work for you. For example, walking and running are great exercise for most people but, as has already been said, you might be better off cycling or on the elliptical to begin with to save the wear on your body.

Some advice applies to everyone though and I completely agree that you need to get your diet right and find an exercise you enjoy.
  • KLJones1981
    Options
    Hiya! Thanks for so many reply's so quickly.
    I am following a diet and have lost 2 stone so far this has given me the confidence to go to the gym as I know it will help.
    I just don't want to end up fainting cause I am so unfit or making a fool of myself.
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    Walking was best for me...and honestly dancing was awesome for me!!! Great burns!!! and it builds up your back strength to handle the walks. If your back gets sore from walking start dancing for 10-15 mins at a time. I swear on this. It helped me so much. And my sis was having the same problem after being out of work for so long. We took one walk around the block and she could barely make it. I started doing dancing competitions on the wii with her for a week or two. Then, we walked again...Major improvement walked several blocks!!! After a few more weeks she was on the ball like me :)

Doesn't have to be zumba. If you have a wii or xbox with Kinect...its so easy to just get up and dance with it!

Wish you the best of luck!!! :)
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hiya! Thanks for so many reply's so quickly.
    I am following a diet and have lost 2 stone so far this has given me the confidence to go to the gym as I know it will help.
    I just don't want to end up fainting cause I am so unfit or making a fool of myself.

Don't sell yourself short - you will be amazed what you can do. I started my weight loss journey at 333 pounds, I am down 150. When I first started at the gym I got on the treadmill and walked for 10 minutes at a speed of 3.0 and built up. Don't let your head get in your way. Trust that you can do it, because you can. : ) Good luck!
  • briebuck
    briebuck Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hey! congrats! and i know what you are going through.

walking is great but if you are at a gym where everyone is running on the treadmill you can feel like an idiot walking...

exercise bike!!!! leg muscles are big so they burn calories quicker . if there is one with a back rest its more comfortable than the traditional seat.

do weight lifting. building up muscle will burn calories all day . also this is a relaxing, not breathless workout. look at people - they are taking their time, taking long breaks in between sets - its relaxing!! start at a low weight , just enough to feel the burn after 8 pulls . do 3 sets of 8 . you should be out of breath by the last set.