Are too many eggs bad for you?

2»

Replies

• FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    I love eggs also. I used to eat at least one a day with breakfast or for a snack but then i started going to Egg beaters due to it being less caloric for the same amount of egg. That was the only reason i changed . I am thinking of going to back to the good ol hard boiled egg again a couple times a week because it just tastes so good and i found it more filling than the egg beaters.
    Egg Beaters = processed = bad
    Real Egg = whole food = good
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    2 -3 eggs a day no problem.... How many is to much? 20 -30 a day that's a lot of calories!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Im vegetarian so depend on eggs a lot for protein. I have about 3 eggs a day, if not more. If I eat more than 3 yolks in one day, I have whites instead.
  • Get them into you.... what ever Edwina Currie says... do the opposite!
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Everyone's body is different. There are study's saying that eggs don't raise blood cholesterol but I can tell you from personal experience they raise mine and I know several others too. If you dig deep into the research you'll find mixed results. I can eat 2 per week, max. The only way to know how they'll effect you is to keep up on your check-ups and get you blood analysis done regularly.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    I love eggs also. I used to eat at least one a day with breakfast or for a snack but then i started going to Egg beaters due to it being less caloric for the same amount of egg. That was the only reason i changed . I am thinking of going to back to the good ol hard boiled egg again a couple times a week because it just tastes so good and i found it more filling than the egg beaters.

Thank you! For some reason i never really thought of them much as processed in a bad way because its supposed to be healthier but, you are right. Well since i just bought a container once its gone i will not buy anymore of that and just stick to real eggs. Thanks for setting me straight on that.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member

lol no. Don't be so idiotic. Processed doesn't automatically mean bad just as whole food doesn't automatically equal good.
  • I like the individual serving egg beaters... Only 63 calories for the equiv of two large eggs and they make great omlettes.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member

lol no. Don't be so idiotic. Processed doesn't automatically mean bad just as whole food doesn't automatically equal good.

If you don't agree with a poster, it's not necessary to refer to him/her as "idiotic"

Eggs have one ingredient.
    Egg beaters have 20, mostly to improve the flavor & texture and add back the essential nutrients provided in the yolk. Processed is more expensive, and inferior if it gives one unnecessary sodium and sweeteners ... and what the heck is wrong with a real egg?
  • Lynn625
    Lynn625 Posts: 56 Member
    I work at a hospital and I see more than one of Cardiologists at breakfast getting at least 4 boiled eggs.
  • thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Too much of anything is bad for you

Agreed.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    and what the heck is wrong with a real egg?

Nothing. I never said there was.
  • curvyvegan
    curvyvegan Posts: 80 Member
    Everyone's body is different. There are study's saying that eggs don't raise blood cholesterol but I can tell you from personal experience they raise mine and I know several others too. If you dig deep into the research you'll find mixed results. I can eat 2 per week, max. The only way to know how they'll effect you is to keep up on your check-ups and get you blood analysis done regularly.

This is true. The human body can make all of the cholesterol that it needs, but most people's bodies will make less to account for the cholesterol that they eat, which keeps things in balance. However, there is a small percentage of people whose bodies continue to make the same amount of cholesterol regardless of how much they eat - so for these people, eating cholesterol can raise their cholesterol levels. That is why high cholesterol is often linked to genetics.

That said, I have ethical issues with eating eggs, so I don't eat them.
  • blackdahlia22
    blackdahlia22 Posts: 4 Member
    It all depends upon the individual some people genetically have higher cholesterol readings than others. I do not have cholesterol issues and I normally eat at least one egg daily as a snack. (Just for reference I live alone and purchase eggs 3 to 5 dozen at a time) I do know that if I sit around and indulge for several weeks on Brie, crab dip, alfredo sauces and high cholesterol items I will get an elevated reading.

I have one parent that ate eggs every day for 7 years and never had cholesterol issues and the other genetically has a higher baseline cholesterol reading and has to monitor all cholesterol intake.

So really you need to know standard cholesterol reading and also a reading after increasing your intake of higher cholesterol foods. "Everything in moderation" holds true but only when you know your baseline and what equates to moderation when looking at your numbers.
  • I read a NHS leaflet at the doctors last year (uk) and there is now no upper limit on eating eggs as dietry cholestrol is not as bad as once thought .

I eat 2 a day at the moment for breakfast
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    I have to agree with the poster above, why anyone would eat a manufactured egg product when the real thing is cheap, easy to get and store, and virtually one of nature's perfect foods is beyond me. Same with egg white omelets and CHEESE. Holy crap, take out the yolk, which contains tons of nutrients and then eat cheese, a poorer saturated fat instead. Eggs are good for you. And in the majority of cases, they do NOT cause high cholesterol. Eat them. Your brain, hair, nails, and skin will thank you.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member

True. But in this case, not idiotic at all.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Just posting this literature published in medical journals, the studies show that egg consumption is not associated with heart disease, nor cause problems with cholesterol.

Rong Y, et al. Egg consumption and risk of coronary heart disease and stroke: dose-response meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. British Medical Journal, 2013.

Fernandez ML. Dietary cholesterol provided by eggs and plasma lipoproteins in healthy populations. Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition & Metabolic Care, 2006.

Blesso CN, et al. Whole egg consumption improves lipoprotein profiles and insulin sensitivity to a greater extent than yolk-free egg substitute in individuals with metabolic syndrome. Metabolism, 2013.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,139 Member

This is true. The human body can make all of the cholesterol that it needs, but most people's bodies will make less to account for the cholesterol that they eat, which keeps things in balance. However, there is a small percentage of people whose bodies continue to make the same amount of cholesterol regardless of how much they eat - so for these people, eating cholesterol can raise their cholesterol levels. That is why high cholesterol is often linked to genetics.

That said, I have ethical issues with eating eggs, so I don't eat them.
    Consuming cholesterol or not has nothing to do with cholesterol balance. our lifestyle, genetics and overall health dictates what type of cholesterol our liver decides to deliver to the body........it's a well known fact that sugar and refined carbs lowers cholesterol levels within the body, but low HDL and small dense LDL is not very healthy, actually very unhealthy. What effects our cholesterol levels from eating eggs is the fat, not the cholesterol, and that effect is increased HDL and larger more buoyant LDL's.......not a bad thing at all, and why eggs are good for us.
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    I eat a lot of eggs too.. I'll have them for breakfast often and also boil some to use in salads !!