Is exercising 6 days a work really necessary?

Options
13»

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    New Rules is amazing but I wouldn't get the ebook, it's worth it to have the real book. That said I agree with all of what he is saying.
    I would see if your library has a copy of the original book- The New Rules of Lifting. I think its value is in the learning, not the workouts. And the 'For Women' sequel wasn't as good and was even a bit patronizing, if you ask me.
  • sazzyanne14
    sazzyanne14 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was also told by someone else abs is one of those things you can do every day and don't need to rest.

That's wrong, abs are just like any other muscle. They too need sufficient rest after working them so that they can recover and grow.

I work out 6 days a week (sometimes twice a day as i play a lot of football but don't want to sacrifice my weight training) and don't find it a problem. I make sure to stretch and warm down after EVERY session and this keeps my body able to work
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    IMHO no, you don't need to exercise 6 times a day unless you are a professional athlete.

If you are just an average person trying to juggle a job, family, and health then it is really not necessary.

^^This!!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i work out 4-7 days a week (ok the 7th day is more like an active rest day where i might do something like run a mile in order to get more muscles warned up for a deep stretch session). sometimes i work out twice a day when i'm working on sprints or if i'm playing bi-weekly soccer with my coworkers.

as others have pointed out, it's not necessary to work out 6 days a week in order to lose weight. heck, it's not even necessary to exercise at all in order to lose weight.

the reason why i work out that much is 1)because i like exercise 2) it's something i've done for the past 2 decades of my life so it's something i'm used to 3)my fitness goals are usually both strength and conditioning related.

i split my workouts into 3 days of strength/resistance training and 2-3 days of cardio and are 45-60 minutes. when i'm working on sprints i do these same day (several hours earlier) as resistance day and those workouts are only 12-30 minutes depending on if i'm basing my sprints on time or distance.

as far as running apps, i really like the zombies run 5k app. it's a lot like c25k only there's a story to go along with it :smile:
  • patriciahutchinson89
    Options
    Which half marathon app are you using please?

1/2 Marathon Trainer by fit kit. It's with the american heart association. In the app store I think I just search pedometers and there it was.
  • patriciahutchinson89
    Options
    No that's not why I'm doing it. I'm doing it so my stomach will be tight when I lose the weight. I seen the pics of people losing the weight but not toning. I don't want abs because (I know I'm going to get flak for this) just don't think it's a cute look for girls but neither is flabby skin after you lost several pounds of weight.
    What do you mean by toning? Flat tight abs are just reduction of body fat around the area and just keeping the abs conditioned a couple of times a week.
    Flabby skin is from either losing to fast or losing a significant amount of weight (80lbs or more seems to be the line).

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

My goal is to lose 74 pounds and must of my fat/bulge is in my stomach. I'm afraid just eating right and doing cardio won't be enough to give me a flat stomach when I'm done. So I thought by working on my stomach along with doing the cardio it will shape it as I lose the weight
  • latewinterwolf
    Options
    i do 5 days monday - friday and if the bf is working saturday i will make mysellf but usually just 5 times a week take the weekend off and if ive eaten to much over the weekend i do an extra hard workout on monday:)
  • patriciahutchinson89
    Options
    Five days a week is good, but I agree with those who are recommending that you alternate cardio with strength training.

I didn't notice in any of your posts, but have you been walking 30 minutes or more several times a week for awhile? If not, I would suggest that you do for several months before you attempt running. If you have no problem with a 30-45 power walk (at least 3.5 mph), then try the C25K program.

For a beginner, it's not necessary to split training muscle groups over several days. A full body circuit 2-3 per week is fine. Planet Fitness's circuit would be a great place to start.

Don't worry about building muscle or getting bulky if you start strength training before you lose weight. It's not gonna happen. No matter how much or how often you lift. What will happen is you will lose weight and tone up faster than you could ever hope to with cardio alone.

The app I use input walking and running. I run at 4.0 mph and what I walk usually varies but normally 2.0-2.3 depending on how much my legs hurt. The brisk warm up it has you start at I walk at 3.0 mph. The cool down 1.7. This totals 25 minutes the first week, 25.30 the second, and will be 28 minutes the 3rd week
  • gduncan229
    Options
    I think it all depends on what you're going for. If you're wanting to just lose weight. 5 days is good enough. If you're trying to push yourself then 6 is good. I do 6 because lately I'm trying to push myself. I do 3 days of running and 3 days of lifting. However 5 of the days my routine is about an hour. One of the running sessions mid week while I try to run fast it's a short run. So I'll do like 5k in 25 minutes, and then walk for a bit so it's more of a half day to me.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You seem feisty - that will help you if you direct it towards positive changes.

When it was mentioned that you are "messing around" at the gym I know you got defensive, but it was true. All the poster meant was that there are a lot of different structured programs that you can follow at the gym which will help guide you towards your goals. The book he suggested is one of them.

Cardio is definitely something you need to do but if you want to reduce the chances of ending up being "skinny fat" (loose skin) when you reach your goal and still be unhappy with how you look then you will want to incorporate some type of strength training. I know you stated that abs on females is not your ideal...and you don't end up with abs accidentally. Your body fat has to be at a certain low % for you to have abs. Also, as a woman intentionally trying to gain muscle mass it is frustrating when people say that they don't want to get "too muscley" which is basically what you said in one post. Trust me, as a female you have to work your motherfrickin *kitten* off to gain a significant amount of muscle. So please do not let that influence your training.

I posted a 1.5 year update thread a few days ago that includes some of my tried and tested tidbits of information as well as some pretty awesome quotes. Maybe you could read it and see if it helps you or not. Up to you.

Good luck either way :smile:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be able to get benefit from 3 days of heavy lifting AND 3 days of reasonable cardio, but certainly on a deficit it seems I have to take the cardio pretty easy - trying to work out just HOW easily.