Ideas for packed lunches on a budget

Options
nicolaturner1986
nicolaturner1986 Posts: 45 Member
Hi

I'm looking for some inspiration for low cal, healthy and filling packed lunches which are cheap to make. I work nights and have a 10hr shift where I sit at a desk waiting for the phone to ring.

We don't have a toaster (we're not allowed one) but I can use a microwave. Because of the nature of my job, eating a meal whilst it is hot is not always guaranteed - you never know when it's suddenly going to get busy.

Thanks

x

Replies

• Rachelc1992
    Rachelc1992 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Tuna and sweet corn pasta?
    Wraps
    Left overs from last nights tea?
    Quiche
    I will continue to think :) I have this struggle too!! x
  • little_schmidt
    little_schmidt Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Please tell me you're allowed a fridge at least! Ok focus on a couple of things. Two foods that play off of eachother to make a lasting meal. Protein and a healthy grain. Protein gives the energy, fiber gives the "stay fuller for longer" feel. One of my easy favorites is a breakfast burrito. Protein: boiled egg and turkey lunch meat. Fiber: whole GRAIN (not wheat) tortilla. a lil salsa, maybe some black beans for extra fiber AND protein. DELISH! I have also taken to making "salads" like chicken salad, tuna salad. NO MAYO!!! just use some canned chicken or whatever meat, some chopped celery, navy beans and greek cream cheese. Has like... 1/3rd the fat and calories of cream cheese and its way more tasty than mayo. For a twist, add a little dill or some lemon pepper seasoning. All these things are pretty cheap to make and easy AND delicious. Just remember, Protein and Fiber. The two important ingredients that will save your meal. And with all the money you will save, you can afford to treat yourself with something nice! :) Good luck!!!
  • freetobeme3
    freetobeme3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this when I worked the over night shifts. Now I am swing shift and still have issues. But what about some finger foods like chicken breast and raw veggies. I also used to keep some protein bars when I couldn't think of anything to make. My daughter loves cucumber stufed with tuna and light mayo. Hope these ideas help
  • nicolaturner1986
    Options
    thanks for this - quiche is a great idea, may do the slimming world pastry free version and pack it out with lots of veggies for a change.

It just gets a bit boring having the same old sandwich at night, when i'm not watching what i'm eating I bring alsorts of ready meals and unhealthy goodies in - trying to get my butt back in gear lol x
  • nicolaturner1986
    Options
    I'll give a breakfast burrito a go :-) we do have a fridge, we're only not allowed the toaster because some numpty set the smoke alarms off and we got charged for the fire service turning up :-(

ooh - never tried stuffing a cucumber before, I bet it's quite nice may have to give that one a go :-) x
  • ktaylormusic
    ktaylormusic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    this might not be best if it's going to get cold, but cheap and quick and easy and yummy (I think)

I leave a couple of tins of (condensed) tomato soup to have on hand at work, and then:

In the morning that you're planning to have the soup, put 2 or 3 balls of chopped frozen spinach, half a cup of tinned black beans, a tsp of pesto, and if you like, an ounce of cheddar into a jar or bag or whatever. At mealtime, mix up your soup with water and add this stuff and microwave the whole lot together for a couple of minutes. I love it.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I found this on a link someone posted here, and I have used it many times:

1 whole wheat tortilla
    1 cup baby spinach leaves
    3 oz. turkey
    Dijon or brown mustard
    1 small cucumber, sliced (I use baby cukes)
    1 tomato, sliced
    Splash of red wine vinegar

Layer, roll, wrap in plastic, chill, eat! Turkey bacon and avocado would be good swaps if you need a change.
  • msbohemian
    Options
    Lettuce wraps: filled with anything low fat: lean meats, low fat waldorf salad, grilled meats, leftovers, vegetable salad,
    quinoa salad.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    You can make all sorts of soups on the cheap that both pack and freeze well. You can make a huge batch, freeze half, and have the other half for your lunches.
  • Debbiebert
    Debbiebert Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/01/healthy-recipes-quick-low-calorie-lunches_n_1638315.html try this web site see if you can find any good ideas ...good luck
  • brighteyes124
    brighteyes124 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm currently obsessed with rice bowls, My current favorite is brown rice, black beans, broccoli, avocado and hot sauce. Easy, cheap and you can mix up the combination of rice/veg/protein/fat to keep it interesting
  • littlelou374
    Options
    Chicken tacos. Bring small tortillas, chicken and cabbage, lettuce, tomatoes, whatever. Yummy cold and can assemble fast before eating. :smile:
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    You can make all sorts of soups on the cheap that both pack and freeze well. You can make a huge batch, freeze half, and have the other half for your lunches.

Agree! I make soup in the crockpot on Sunday and have plenty for the week. There are plenty of sites out there like skinny ms.
    Check out this recipe. I made it this week and is awesome!
    http://skinnyms.com/skinny-slow-cooker-savory-superfood-soup/
  • Aqua1813
    Aqua1813 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've had success making low-calorie cabbage rolls. You cal always take one or two to work in a Tupperware.

But my go-go lunch is (drum roll please...) an uncooked sweet potato.

I know... I know... you think I'm crazy. But they have numerous merits: sweet potatoes are portable, low-mess, 4 minutes to cook in the microwave, do not need to be refrigerated, I can keep multiple at work due to a long shelf-life, can be purchased at nearly any grocery store, inexpensive, relatively low calorie, nutritious and (in addition) are a lovely conversation piece on my desk. I usually pair it with some firm tofu I keep in our work fridge.

Before I go to work in the morning, I weigh it so I know what the calories are. If necessary, I'll trim it, but I haven't had to yet. :)
  • lycarroll
    lycarroll Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I buy a large container of mixed greens 50% spinach, 1 red pepper, cucumber, in bulk buy cranberries (add1tbsp), and slivered almonds (1tbsp), goat cheese (1onze), make my own balsamic dressing. I get about 5 salads out of it. Its soo good, I have not gotten sick of it yet. I keep all ingredients in a fridge at work and make my salad fresh every day. Takes about 5 min.

Turkey Chili is another idea, as it freezes well and full of vegetables and protein! Very cheap to make when you portion it out and freeze it.
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/9e/b8/0b/9eb80b225c287ace060d2f10167ead8f.jpg
    http://zaggoragirl.com/2012/11/15/lunch-quest-2-more-quick-and-tasty-meals-to-share/
    http://ohsheglows.com/2011/09/11/5-make-ahead-vegan-and-gluten-free-lunches-part-1/

Pinterest is great for this stuff. It all comes down to prep, really.
    You can make a big batches of quinoa, rice, frozen veggies, lentils, beans, grilled veggies, hard boiled eggs on the weekends and mix and match throughout the week. Try different seasonings. Try a casserole. Buy a couple pieces of fruit per week, cut them up, and make snack bags. Buy a low sodium can of tomatoes or tomato paste and use throughout the week. Try a giant lettuce salad but each day spice it up. Maybe one day do something mexican-y, another a summer salad with berries, another with nuts and a spicy dressing. Buy a can of NSA green beans for 50 cents and split it up over a day or two. Yogurt cups are fairly cheap as well (although healthier greek is a little more expensive). Pretzels, popcorn, nuts, homemade crackers/pita chips/tortilla chips, salsa, etc. All options. Burritos or wraps are easy to make, store in the freezer, and grab day by day.
  • rlmassman84
    rlmassman84 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I buy a large container of mixed greens 50% spinach, 1 red pepper, cucumber, in bulk buy cranberries (add1tbsp), and slivered almonds (1tbsp), goat cheese (1onze), make my own balsamic dressing. I get about 5 salads out of it. Its soo good, I have not gotten sick of it yet. I keep all ingredients in a fridge at work and make my salad fresh every day. Takes about 5 min.

I do this too, but instead of mixed greens I will buy a bag of broccoli salad mix. I find that the crunchiness of the broccoli helps to satisfy me in a way that salad greens do not.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    bump
  • barb106
    barb106 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My go to cheap and healthy meal is lentils and rice. Cook up the lentils with some carrots and onion and your choice of broth, serve over rice. Brown basmati goes well.

Thanks everyone for sharing, I'm off to try the spinch/cranberry/almond salad!
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Love all the ideas! I get so bored with my whole wheat tomato and ham sandwich!