Finally found a "TRUE" low calorie treat

Options

Replies

• JessMoTX
    Options
    My daily "treat" is the Dole Dark Chocolate Strawberry Dippers....way better than ice cream. 60 cals/6 carbs/4g fat. Totally fits into my day!

Oh wow. Those things are AMAZING! I like to mix them with the banana ones too.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Honestly, y'all should read the containers of most of the stuff on the ice cream aisle. You'll notice a ton of stuff that says "frozen dessert" or "frozen dairy dessert" in small letters.

Well popsicles are a frozen treat and you can make them by simply putting juice in a mold or ice cube tray. Snow cones are a frozen treat and all they are is crushed ice and flavoring. The difference between those and what you're talking about is that at least they're honest about it.
  • Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Why do people feel like they have to tell the OP to try something else because the item mentioned tasted bad to them????? She already said they were yummy to her! Personally, I don't really care whether or not you like the taste of something. All that matters is whether or not I like it and can fit it in.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    My daily "treat" is the Dole Dark Chocolate Strawberry Dippers....way better than ice cream. 60 cals/6 carbs/4g fat. Totally fits into my day!

Oh wow. Those things are AMAZING! I like to mix them with the banana ones too.

They have strawberry dippers? I have to look for those.

I really like the banana ones and find them oddly satisfying. 4 slices of banana and chocolate. Who knew. And they're available in bulk at the local Costco.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I'm always suspect of inappropriate quotation marks. Turns out these were actually somewhat appropriate.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Why do people feel like they have to tell the OP to try something else because the item mentioned tasted bad to them????? She already said they were yummy to her! Personally, I don't really care whether or not you like the taste of something. All that matters is whether or not I like it and can fit it in.

True, though I don't think it's clear whether or not she's tried it yet (just purchased today) or is anticipating the yum.

Either way, there is "This is yummy compared to other diet treats" and "This is yummy, period".

People are just suggesting in various ways to avoid the first and go for the second. If it turns out Arctic Zero is all that and a bag of chips to the OP, that's great.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I'll look for it, but I can't do artificial sweeteners anymore, so if it;s got splenda or aspartame I'm better off eating fruit.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Personally I love raspberries. Plain with no sugar, or with yoghurt, or (as of today) in a smoothie with apple juice.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I used to like the artic zero also - until i ate too much - lets say that i had an very long night in the bathroom. Apparenlty although you can eat the enture tub for 150 cal, it doesnt agree to do this !
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Glad you like it. It tasted like cardboard lies to me. I'll stick to my Ben & Jerry's ♥

BULLY!

I'd like to think myself the white knight of delicious dairy treats. For the record, I tried their peanut butter lies and mixed in real peanut butter. Still didn't fix how unpalatable it was :/
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I used to have an Arctic Zero pint every now and then. Especially when it was tmotm and I just wanted something cold and creamy to eat. Some flavors are truly awful, but I personally though the Cookies and Cream was delish. I haven't had one in a while but if the ice cream bug hits I won't hesitate to get another.

As for the lawsuits, the Today show tested Arctic Zero and made a big deal about the calories being 50% more than labeled!!!! BUT, think about it, that means that a pint is 225 calories instead of 150 calories... still a HUGE bargain compared to froyo or anything else.

I'm glad you found something you enjoy. Haters gonna hate... do what works for you.
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have been eating the Dole dark chocolate banana dippers. Very yummy and only 100 calories.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The chocolate PB is good, the cookie flavor was terrible. I still buy the chocolate flavor whenever I'm lucky enough to see it
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Those sound lovely.

I "make" my own desserts that taste rich and delicious (to me) and have lots of protein and fats (using dark chocolate syrup, peanut butter and greek yogurt).

I googled the arctic zero. The ingredient list doesn't seem to show splenda or nutrasweet... (fwiw)
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Well, there is one advantage to Artic Zero for me, I won't overeat it. When I feel the need to eat more than a few bites. or a reasonable portion - which happens (at least to me) I go for the Artic Zero. Otherwise, Skinnny Cow or the Breyers 1/2 are good.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If it had artificial sweeteners, it wouldn't be sold at Whole Foods.

I'm a bit wary of trying it though, not going to lie, lol.
  • Pamstimelines
    Pamstimelines Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Glad you like it. Since it's low in calories, etc. be careful, you still can't eat too much - moderation always seems the best. Now if I could just follow my own advice, I might actually loose more weight. :)
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    I guess I'm in the minority here, but I like Arctic Zero - yes, I like the way it tastes as well as its texture. I used to eat really rich ice creams before I went on my weight loss journey, and ice cream was my big weakness. It was the one thing I knew I should give up but just couldn't. When I found AZ, it was a godsend. No, it wasn't super rich & tasty, but it did satisfy that desire for cold and creamy texture, and I could always fit it in, even as MFP dropped my calories down to 1200 (I didn't know at the time that I shouldn't blindly follow those calories, but that's another story).

When I had the calories, I used PB2 or chocolate PB2 as a topping (for the chocolate and peanut butter chocolate flavors) and that gave it the zing it needed, for me. I think the vanilla maple flavor actually stands well on its own, but I'm just not that into vanilla.

It always surprises me how strong some of the negative reactions are to Arctic Zero when it's brought up in these forums. I was initially alarmed by that same news piece, but it only took a little research to discover that AZ had their products independently lab tested afterward, and the findings were that their calorie counts were correct (see it here http://www.arcticzero.com/EMSL-Results/11.27.2012.pdf). That's good enough for me, although someone else pointed out that even if they are off, it's not by any significant amount because the calories are already so low. I lost ~50 lbs eating 1/3 a pint of AZ *every* night, so I can attest to that! Oh, and as far as ingredients go, that's one of the things I like about the product - natural ingredients, no sucralose and whatnot. They've got them posted on their web site if you're interested.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have something that tastes good for a treat and just have less of it if necessary.

OK, who am I kidding. I'd rather eat whatever I want of the treat I want and eat less of the lean meat and veggies. But, I'll be good and do the above instead. :sad:

Wow. I can't believe you just explained why I gave veggies the axe. Especially some of the ones cooked at work, drenched in oil. I'd literally rather have a chocolaty bar. Happy Thursday, we can do this! :)
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I have looked and looked for that special sweet treat that will not blow my daily calorie goals out of the water. Went to Whole Foods today and found Arctic Zero Frozen Desserts.....YAY!......1/2 cup has only 37 calories, 0 fat, 6g carbohydrates, 3.4 g protein and 5g sugar.......Yummy Good.........I am pretty new to MFP so feel free to add me to your friends :)

the company that makes that has been sued for lying about the calorie content on their labels. LOL.

http://www.topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/2477-second-arctic-zero-class-action-lawsuit-filed-over-calorie-count/