need to kick the sugar habit

Options
I don't usually post on message boards, but really need support in this endeavor. I have had some recent success in giving up most forms of sugar but as always, something comes up that sends me right back to the sweet stuff. Oh how I wish I could just toss all the Halloween candy!!

I am looking for some 'friends' who are also interested in getting the sugar out of their diet. For me, sugar seems to be the catalyst for most, if not all binges. I consider myself a healthy eater most of the time. I have heard the term 'flexitarian' and I guess that describes me; vegetarian most of the time, but will occassionally have meat or fish. Lots of vegetables. Some fruit. Attempting a mostly plant based diet.

Time and time again I have tried to make this work. I am determined to get healthy for a long list of reasons. I feel some accountability and encouragement would go a long way in being successful. :smile:

Replies

• ZeltaFrost
    Options
    hmmm sugar soethin hard to kick out. but to be honest i say u should still eat some meat just in smaller portions cuz meet is healthy for u especially fish. and just go for snacks wit low sugar and pinch ur arm everytime u look at candy
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I feel ya Jane.. Quiting sugar for me is like quiting an addictive substance like nicotine, or alcohol, or whatever .. All month I have been having this internal argument with myself over not chosing sugar. And every day I have lost that battle ( cola, or donuts, or chocolate candy).. Some people say, just go cold turkey. Deny myself, and over time I will no longer crave it. It might work. It's worth a try I suppose. I know that when I feel like I am denied, I get very crabby though. But I suppose that if that's the worst that happens it would be worth it.. Hmmmmm.. You want to try going cold turkey?
  • HealthyHereICome
    Options
    What if you start buying sugar free candy or use Splenda for baking? Splenda is actually made from sugar and really does satisfy a sweet tooth. Just a suggestion!
  • starchile
    starchile Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hi...My name is Tesia and I'm a SUGARHOLIC!!! Believe, me...if anyone here knows your pain, it's me!! I have struggled with sugar addiction for most of my adult life and when I say "addiction" it is alllll the way appropriate!!! lol. There have been times that I have been off of sugar and then one day something will just "hit me" and it's like I HAVE TO HAVE IT!!! I run to the market, buy a tube of cookie dough and 20 minutes later, when I'm picking the crumbs off of my shirt I feel like absolute sh**!!

Here is what works FOR ME:

First of all, yes, going cold turkey works wonders. I'm not one of those people who can just "ration portion sizes" or "have just a taste" when it comes to sugar....if it's there, I'm going to eat it all. If I only buy a little and eat it, I will be back in the store later that day getting more. So, what I found that worked is just clear out alllll the sugary substances in my cabinets. White sugar, brown sugar, sugary syrups, sauces...whatever has a significant amount of sugar in it---it's gone. And it is true in my case, that after 2 or so days w/out ANY sugar the cravings will totally disappear. It really is astounding. The problem is that there is sooooooooooo much sugar hidden in things that we don't even think about that someway or another, sugar finds its way back in to my system...so then:

I buy splenda (I know there are heated debates about artificial sweeteners, but this is just what works for me). Anytime I need to sweeten something like in a recipe or in my oatmeal, I use it instead.

Also, I have found that eating fruit (low glycemic index fruit) twice a day, keeps the cravings at bay. when I DON'T have my fruit, it is wwwwaaayyyy easier to succumb to temptation.

I hope this helps...and again, this is what works for me--a HARDCORE SUGAR JUNKIE!

good luck!!!
    :smile:
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You're an inspiration to me Tesia.. I have been thinking about trying this all month.. But I am going to shoot for a no-sugar Saturday, if all goes well, I'll push it into Sunday as well... But, like you, I think I to have a no sugar EVERYDAY.. I do well with my fats, calories (most days), sodium, and exercise most days. It's the sugar that's killing me...

wish me luck!
  • lucy65
    lucy65 Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi Jane:)

I didn't think I ate that much sugar until I got that news 2 months ago that I had crossed the pre-diabetes line. Having to test blood sugars sucks. Those little kids and teens who grow up doing this are truly amazing to me. However, the doctor did say I could reverse it through weight loss, diet and exercise. I saw a show on tv talking about sugars and went out and bought the book they talked about it's called...This is Why You're Fat. It goes into details about sugar and the effect it has on the body. Starting following some basic rules and lost 9 pounds in under 2 weeks. Now I am stable at about one or two pounds a week.

I eat every 2 to 3 hours. I try to stay beneath 5 grams of sugar per meal never more than 9

I eat oatmeal every day now ( even carry a pack in my purse pretty easy to get a cup of hot water just about anywhere:) ) some truvia and cinnamon. Yummy!

At night when I want something sweet I take red grapes place a handful in a snack zip lock bag and freeze them. let's me have a mental thing of dipping my hand in a "snack bag" and gets my sweet on. LOL

Good news is...last test came back awesome, no more monitoring except about once a week and more energy:) Hope this helps you:)
  • Jane313
    Options
    Tesia, what you wrote is exactly how I feel. I am not a 'eat in moderation' sugar type. It is all or nothing. Not a good way to be. So, I am back to my plan of staying away from it. My house is mostly free of the hidden sugars. Except those things that my family can't seem to do without (ketchup for instance). There are not even many of those. I would love to get rid of the Halloween candy, but that is another story entirely with regard to how this affects my children. Thanks for the words of advice. I am ready to tackle the day and stay away from the birthday cake at a party this weekend!!!!
  • SkierElle
    Options
    I am reading a book about this called Suicide by Sugar ( i did another post on it a little while back). It is HARD to give up sugar. but I feel it is necessary in my life. my ultimate goal is to ONLY have sugar on major holidays, and limit it to ONE piece of pie/cake/chocolate/whatever.

I feel that this is what is getting in the way of my goals. all the time. NOt just weight loss goals, other goals as well.

On Oct. 30 I decided to give up desserts, and candy. I didn't have ANY halloween candy. since then I have been good for the most part but its hard. I've only had like two lattes with flavouring in them. I don't do artificial sweeteners so that isn't an option for me. I just have to learn to accept that sugar is not a necessary part of the diet, and it's a really slow and silent killer.

What works for me: it is really difficult but when you are craving sugar go do something that gets your heart rate up. The worst is after class, when I am tired of sitting around all day, bored and a little tired (it doesnt help that my two afternoon classes get done at 3 - the worst time EVER!). And I really want something sweet. But then I ride my bike home, which is 3 miles and slightly uphill. By the time Im home, my craving is totally gone, and I dont even want to eat anything. It's because exercise makes your insulin levels go down and in turn makes sugar cravings go down, for me personally, it makes me feel satisfied. So even if you have already done your exercise for the day, then go do something for just a few minutes that really gets your heart rate up..
    Another option is to have fruit, call a friend, or write (something, anything distracting!) read a book, watch a show. Or just have a lot of water.

Clearing it out of your house does work, but if you live with other people, family who wont give up sugar, roommates who like to bake, etc, you have to learn about how to completely give it up. And if you live by stores and not way out in the boonies, clearing it out of your house won't do too much good.

Feel free to add me. I really need some more friends who are going for the sugar free lifestyle! :)