Does anyone just really enjoy running?

Options
I enjoyed running when I was younger (elementary school kinda young!) way before I put on the weight I'm looking to lose and now trying to get into it just because I've come to realize that I still really enjoy it. I'm just looking to find someone with the same kind of interest to motivate and be buddies with. :) I want to prepare myself for a 10 mile run that is taking place in July but I'm still not sure if I can do it. (Is training for a 10 mile even possible in 6 months?!) I would love to hear any stories you have to share.

Replies

• laurieagain09
    laurieagain09 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    yep, I do enjoy it! Use to do it a lot my first go round with mfp a couple of years ago. Worked well for weight loss. I think you can definitely train for 10 miles in 6 months. Feel free to add me. I am just starting to train for a 1/2 marathon in may.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Running is my favourite exercise. I like the repetitive benefits of it and when breaking through the wall after 10 minutes or so I can run for a long time. I listen to a podcast, music or just think about stuff. The perfect stress reliever for me.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I would say you can definitely train in that amount of time!

To answer your first question, yes, I love to run. I don't have much time in my workout schedule these days to just run but I feel like I hit this point after a few miles of running where I can just THINK. I do some of my best problem solving and thinking during my runs. I've felt like this my entire life, or when I began running track and cross country in middle school.
  • bitshred
    bitshred Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've been addicted to running for over twenty years. I have never been interesting in running "races" - 10k's etc..
    So I don't know much about training, but I would think you can do 10 mi six months from now.

I only do it for stress relief and exercise, so I have only ever run to "feel good", never paid attention to distance or time. Until now, that I am recording calories.
  • workingthisout
    workingthisout Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love running, it gets addicting. Starting back up will be hard, so just hang in there and take it a little bit at a time. 10 miles in 6 months is definitely possible, you'll just have to really dedicate yourself to it :) I'm sure you can find a marathon training schedule online that will help you
  • Irondaughter
    Options
    Running is the best!!
    And definitely helps with both physical and psychological health. Personally, I run to spend time with my dogs and get out in nature (I love trail runs), but am about to start training for a 15km road race that takes place in about 7months.
    If I can do my race having never run further than 10km in my life, then you certainly can do yours!!
    Feel free to add me, and we can complain about our blisters, and rude car/truck drivers together. :p
  • nathan_oz
    nathan_oz Posts: 229
    Options
    I really enjoy running, always have. I just got lazy and stopped and started a fair bit. I am running 3 miles at the moment and want to achieve 10k as soon as possible. Then hopefully this year half marathon, so think you can definitely do it!
    Feel free to add me so we can track each others progress, I use Endomondo so it logs my runs automatically on here.
  • MissGamerGirl
    MissGamerGirl Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm doing C210k. :)

I enjoy running because all around it's "easy" (of course it's physically challenging especially at first, but let me explain):

1) All you really need is a good pair of shoes. You don't even need a treadmill. I personally prefer to run outside.
    2) It's self explanatory. Not complicated to do. There are some things out there discussing proper running form but even that isn't a headache to accomplish or stress out about.
    3) You don't have to pay a gym membership to do it.
    4) The C210k app on my phone is super straight-forward and makes me look forward to my running days. And it's free, unless you want the pro version but you don't need it. They have other ones. 5k, 10k, half-marathon, marathon...

Enjoy it! I was never previously a runner, or really physical/athletic in any sense during high school. This was something I had to find and appreciate on my own. It's my time for sure!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Yep, running is great. Helped me to lose over 2 stone in around 6 months in 2012/13 and I still just love the race day

10 mile race is definitely achievable, and dont forget, on the race day, if you like running, you will probably feel some kind of adrenaline that makes the race more enjoyable and easier. In general, I always find I can manage to go a bit faster on race day.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I just love to Run. I have no inclination to race in fact I get a little annoyed with people asking me what race I'm training for. Yes I track my Distance and time for certain routes but I run for running's sake and that's it. It brings me so many things the obvious health benefits both Physical and Mental it enables me to explore places in my locality that 99% of people don't see on a daily basis and it's just fun. I'm lucky enough to live somewhere where I have lots of options of routes both Trail and road. If anyone wants any non racing running friends feel free to add me.
  • mrk1185
    mrk1185 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I love running. I'm actually trying to scale back racing this year to make sure I'm really finding the most joy in it that I can, and not just pushing myself towards goals and deadlines. The races I am planning to do are more for the chance to run in neat locations or otherwise forbidden areas (i.e. Bridge runs.)

Feel free to add me, as well. Always looking for more running buddies on here.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one with no interest in racing! I would like to run a bit faster and longer just for the fun of it though...and in case zombies really do attack.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Yep I love it, I'd do it every day if I was able

Havent been able to since Sept due to injury
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    My husband loves it (I don't!). He says he loses himself when he runs. It's like the world melts away and it's about just going forward. It gives him a chance to listen to some of his podcasts. I can't do that. I just get too bored. I can't just let it all go. I'm too in my own head to be able to. I like dancy or complicated things that distract me so much that I'm too focused on not falling over rather than the time. So I like workout videos. But it's all about what you like. Hopefully my workout videos will get me fit enough to be able to run from the zombies.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I think everybody who's a runner does.

I've taken quite a bit of time off, doing Insanity right now, and will be doing Asylum next...but when I get back to strength training, my cardio days will be running.

I cannot WAIT to get back out there.

My last run was my marathon in September!! (Had surgery two weeks after, and just stopped everything, hence the no running...and it's cold...I don't like cold. :D)
  • morty1966
    morty1966 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one with no interest in racing! I would like to run a bit faster and longer just for the fun of it though...and in case zombies really do attack.

Yep, that's why I run. Gotta keep up that cardio!
  • Kauczuk
    Kauczuk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Running is awesome! Don't worry about preparation, your body is designed to run. After years behind the desk at work and on the couch at home I completed 24 weeks of preparation and finished marathon :) Everything is possible if you do it smart.

Let me know if you need any help with preparing a plan, I can give you some support on that.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed running when I was younger (elementary school kinda young!) way before I put on the weight I'm looking to lose and now trying to get into it just because I've come to realize that I still really enjoy it. I'm just looking to find someone with the same kind of interest to motivate and be buddies with. :) I want to prepare myself for a 10 mile run that is taking place in July but I'm still not sure if I can do it. (Is training for a 10 mile even possible in 6 months?!) I would love to hear any stories you have to share.

I hate it. It takes too long and I get bored. But I do it anyway.

And yes, it's easily possible. I went from struggling to do 3 miles to comfortably doing 13 in under four months. Just stick at it and you'll be amazed at how much better you get in a very short space of time, as long as you push a bit further each time. Add a quarter of a mile each run, will add an extra two or three minutes each time, you'll barely notice it, and you'll be adding several miles to your distance each month.
  • squiguk
    squiguk Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    To those who have said they love running, how long roughly would you say it took to start enjoying it? I've only ever had 'runner's high' once and would love to start enjoying it again! Do you enjoy it more the fitter you get or is the number of runs per week important? I'm doing a variety of exercise at the moment (weights, body pump, badminton and running).

I'm doing a 10km in May and my first half-marathon in Oct so I'll obviously have to do lots of training but at the moment I still dread having to go out on a run (even though its never as bad as it seems as I do enjoy it when I'm doing it) and I struggle to motivate myself.

Thanks!
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    To those who have said they love running, how long roughly would you say it took to start enjoying it?

I enjoyed it when I first started, times got quicker and distances further at an alarming rate, setting new PBs was great. Then you reach the point of diminishing returns and you struggle to hit your PBs and you have to go for hours to feel like you're getting much out of it and it becomes incredibly tedious.