Call me Captain Plateau

Options
w4hp.jpg

Ahoy hoy!

While I understand the last stretch of weight loss is always the hardest, I have little experience/knowledge when it comes to getting rid of the stubborn stomach and back fat. (Is there a change in approach?) Since I have remained the same weight and very similar body measurements for the past 18 days, figured I'd come here to ask for some advice.

My best guess is to kick up my activity level another notch if my body has become accustom to my training regime (basketball and gym). Currently eating around 1400-1550 calories a day. This would have to go up if I increase my intensity of training, ya?

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. how tall are you? I'm an older shortish female at 60kgs and I'm not fat at all. I'd like to get to 55kgs but 69 for a guy seems fine. Just lift weights to change how you look. I really don't think you need to loose more.
  • zak138
    zak138 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. how tall are you? I'm an older shortish female at 60kgs and I'm not fat at all. I'd like to get to 55kgs but 69 for a guy seems fine. Just lift weights to change how you look. I really don't think you need to loose more.

I'm 169cm or 5ft 6.

65-66kg is my ideal weight, there is still some I want to get rid of around my stomach, handles and back :P
  • Darrelkun
    Darrelkun Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Plateaus are a sign that too much food intake is going on. Consider re-evaluating what you are eating, and try adjusting either portions (or measuring to a tee, if you aren't) or replacing some foods.

Hope that helps. I know how plateauing goes. It's not fun at all.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You are around the middle of your healthy weight range from what I just read. I still think you don't need to concentrate on loosing more but building more muscle... anyway I'd love to hear what some of the guys think so I'll leave it to them. Good luck in getting the body you are after. It's great you are doing this.
  • RyanSolomon
    Options
    We in a very similar position, I’m a similar height but am around 71kgs and I’m ok with that, interestingly I was stuck at 72/73 kgs for 3 months, I’m not sure about you but I am super active, I run marathons and work out at least 18 times a week in different forms, my logic was a have a 1500-2000 calorie deficit a day I shouldn’t be battling to lose the last 2 kgs, so took a risk,
    I started eating around 500 calories more a day and dropped 2% body fat and 1 kg in 2 weeks, doesn’t seem like a lot but for me it’s a major win, what was more interesting was my loss of cravings for "cheats" and even better was my training performance! I saw improvements in my recovery and the hills were a breeze! I left my training partners in the dust when before I struggled,
    I'm not advocating over eating just eat enough
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Plateau is a bad word to use. Its one of those substitute words for 'I am doing everything right but its not working anymore'.

As you decrease in weight, so does your calorie allowance. But think of it that it is temporary, because once you start to be at the maintain weight stage, you get an extra luxury back.
  • zak138
    zak138 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    We in a very similar position, I’m a similar height but am around 71kgs and I’m ok with that, interestingly I was stuck at 72/73 kgs for 3 months, I’m not sure about you but I am super active, I run marathons and work out at least 18 times a week in different forms, my logic was a have a 1500-2000 calorie deficit a day I shouldn’t be battling to lose the last 2 kgs, so took a risk,
    I started eating around 500 calories more a day and dropped 2% body fat and 1 kg in 2 weeks, doesn’t seem like a lot but for me it’s a major win, what was more interesting was my loss of cravings for "cheats" and even better was my training performance! I saw improvements in my recovery and the hills were a breeze! I left my training partners in the dust when before I struggled,

Interesting! I'm nowhere near as active, probably 3-4 times (10-13 hours overall). I wonder if I did up my intake slightly it would show the same results.

As you decrease in weight, so does your calorie allowance. But think of it that it is temporary, because once you start to be at the maintain weight stage, you get an extra luxury back.

So basically, if I do less/same exercise lower my calorie intake but if I work out harder, up my intake a little bit and see if my results mimic Ryan's?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    18 days does not equal a plateau...

but if you are not losing weight chances are you are eating more then you think....

do you weight your food? how do you track your burns?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    You seem to be at a good place where you are, toning muscles might be the way to go, one thing to consider, if as they used to say, If you can pinch more than an inch, that is 1" thick something like 2.5 mm it is take care, if not you are perfectly fine. ( I have seen reference made to callipers on here in the past. And you may have extra height to add yet. Young men can grow taller till they are 25, and can take a lower body fat percentage than girls of a similar life stage.

Take care, keep healthy.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

Interesting! I'm nowhere near as active, probably 3-4 times (10-13 hours overall). I wonder if I did up my intake slightly it would show the same results.

So basically, if I do less/same exercise lower my calorie intake but if I work out harder, up my intake a little bit and see if my results mimic Ryan's?

Dont know what you are going on about.

For the avoidance of doubt, calorie allowance for maintaining your current weight is greater than for losing weight. Does that explain?