5:2 diet

Options
Hi,

Has anyone done the above? At the moment my calories/intake is 1200 per day, I plan to stick to this 5 days a week and on 2 days a week cut down to 500 for a day (thinking Tuesday and Thursday).

It's not fasting as such, but I'm hoping it will give me a kick start, give my body a little chance to recover from the Christmas over load.

Has anyone else done this with success? Did you do any exercises on the days you were 'fasting'? I'm thinking as I won't have as much energy so will leave exercise out (although will still do general walking etc).

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    My understanding of the 5:2 diet would have you at your maintenance calories 5 days a week and then around 600 calories the other two. Is there any particular reason you chose to restrict to 1200 on your "high" days? Because it seems like you'd risk undereating if you continue the 5:2 diet for any length of time.
  • aaronpoppy
    Options
    The 1200 daily is what myfitnesspal says I should be on, I'm only planning on doing the 500 cals twice a week for maybe January, to give my body a breather from over indulgence etc and see if it helps?
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    dis-gon-be-gud.gif
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Has anyone done the above? At the moment my calories/intake is 1200 per day, I plan to stick to this 5 days a week and on 2 days a week cut down to 500 for a day (thinking Tuesday and Thursday).

It's not fasting as such, but I'm hoping it will give me a kick start, give my body a little chance to recover from the Christmas over load.

Has anyone else done this with success? Did you do any exercises on the days you were 'fasting'? I'm thinking as I won't have as much energy so will leave exercise out (although will still do general walking etc).

You'd be doing it wrong-for the 5 days you're supposed to eat at maintenance calories, or around 2,000 calories on those days.

I did a stricter version of IF for weight loss (JUDDD) and used 5:2 as a way to transition from weight loss to maintenance. Both plans worked great for me-you just have to make sure you follow the plan and eat enough calories :smile:
  • blkericia
    blkericia Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    sounds like a Ricky plan, but if you must do it start with 1500 calories and then 1000. for the 2 day,
    if you cut to much you can put your body in fat storing mode and ricking your muscle mass.
  • twixlepennie
    Options
    The 1200 daily is what myfitnesspal says I should be on, I'm only planning on doing the 500 cals twice a week for maybe January, to give my body a breather from over indulgence etc and see if it helps?

If you're doing 5:2 then you don't follow what MFP says, they're two totally different plans.

5:2IF-

5 days a week you eat at maintenance, or around 2,000 calories a day
    2 days week (non-consecutive), you eat 500 calories for women/600 calories for men.

Have you read the book and watched the documentary yet? If not, that's where you need to start :smile:
  • reggie7727
    reggie7727 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Come on!. Eat a balanced diet and excersie and everything will fall into place. Diets like this will have you feeling deprived and listless.
  • twixlepennie
    Options
    Come on!. Eat a balanced diet and excersie and everything will fall into place. Diets like this will have you feeling deprived and listless.

Actually, there's quite a few people who love doing 5:2 IF (and JUDDD, which is a different version of same idea). I never felt deprived or listless while doing either plan and I was able to lose over 50lbs and transition into maintenance with no problem :smile:
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Everybody should do what works for them (and different methods work marvelously for different people) but if I ate only 500 calories in a day I would be cranky. :huh: :grumble:
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options

Actually, there's quite a few people who love doing 5:2 IF (and JUDDD, which is a different version of same idea). I never felt deprived or listless while doing either plan and I was able to lose over 50lbs and transition into maintenance with no problem :smile:

agree with twix :smile:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Reggie, some of us gave been doing this for a year and certainly do not feel deprived!

There is a 5:2 group if you use the search function ( I'll try to link in a mo)- plenty of adherents on there.

But no, eating only 1200 on your 5 days is not a good plan. It's more effective to have a decent differentiation between up and down days, and the 5 should be around your tdee or maintenance cals. Now, 2000 may be high- mine is 1450. But 1200 is almost certainly too low.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Umm .....NO

MFP gave 1200 calories based upon "I want to lose XX pounds per week" ......that's not what you are "supposed" to eat .....that's as low as MFP will go.

5:2 is 500 calories on 2 Non-consecutive days ......then MAINTENANCE calories. This means your entire deficit for the week is completed while "dieting" for 2 days.

You're looking at a 1,000 calorie daily average (1200x5 + 500x2 / 7)....this is lower than your BMR. Your BMR (basal metabolic rate) are the calories your body would use if you're in a coma

Aggressive weight loss goals ......you are at risk for losing muscle mass (along with fat).
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hi,

If you use the 'Search' function above there are groups for 5:2. There are a lot of great people who have been doing it and having amazing success.

I have been doing it an enjoy it.

I exercise on the fast days too (although the morning after fast day it is a bit harder than not).
  • Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am doing 4:3 and it's great but everyone else is right, you need to eat at TDEE on the "high" days and then 500 or so on the "fast" days.

Doing it the way you plan will result in muscle loss and permanent damage to your body. Not a good idea.

Google 5:2 and you will find a lot of good info!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you are going to do 5:2 then do it properly or not at all.

I've been doing it for 18 months and it works both when losing weight and for maintenance. Please do some research.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8005-5-2-fasting

Here's a great 5:2 group on MFP, lots of advice and support.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Recommendation - never go on a specified diet. 9 times out of 10 they will probably frustrate you in the long run.
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Recommendation - never go on a specified diet. 9 times out of 10 they will probably frustrate you in the long run.

Not in this case!

Thousands of us are doing the 5:2 way of eating and it is sustainable. Google Michael Mosley. Read his book. Do it properly set MFP to maintain your weight then eat 500 calories on two days a week. It works and it is easy!
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    I agree that I don't think you should be doing this with the 5 days 1200 calories. My sister tried this diet for a month and lost nearly a stone, but she was eating about 1.800 and then halving on 2 days.
  • aaronpoppy
    Options
    Thanks all,

Ok I didn't realise I should eat more than the 1200 cals on the non-fasting days so will look up how much I should eat on those days and then do the 2 days of 500.

Many thanks for your replies and I will go and search the 5:2 on here :-)