struggling with a 1200 calorie allowance

Options
Anyone else following a 1200 routine? If so, how did you make it work for you? Right now i am following it pretty closely but if i go over by 100 or so i don't sweat it.

Thanks!!

Replies

• MsMacL
    MsMacL Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I just can't stick to 1200 either. When I'm hungry I shake and will not let myself feel like that. If it's a slower weight loss, then so be it but a little over is hardly going to make a huge difference.
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    I am finding it okay, although I have only been doing it for four days so maybe that's why? I don't know.

If I find myself getting hungry I have a piece of fruit or munch on some peeled cucumber. If your calories go over eating fruit and veg, I wouldn't be too worried.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Most people try to jump in and start with the "Lose 2lbs" a week program. Start at a lb or 1/2 a lb until your stomach shrinks, and you get use to the smaller portion sizes, then lower your calorie count. Determination isn't a bad thing, but don't make the boulder too big to push up the hill. Start with a smaller stone, then when you are use to pushing it, make the stone bigger. Don't set yourself up for failure. JMO
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    That is really good advice, right there!
  • befitlon
    befitlon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi try to use this..will give your daily calorie requirements.. =)

scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    1200 is just not enough.

calculate your bmr. do not ever eat under this.

then change it up to 1 1/2 or 1 lbs per week.
  • wendy_j441
    wendy_j441 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm doing good with the 1200 calorie. The only thing that I am having issues with is the sugars. I am going over in them anywhere from 10 to 20 a day......
  • ladyj_sa
    Options
    I find if you eating the rights foods like lean meat, fruit and veggies you don't go over the 1200 mark.
  • Mary_Eliz29
    Options
    The only way I can cope with 1200 cals is if I exercise and eat the cals back
  • ladyj_sa
    Options
    I'm doing good with the 1200 calorie. The only thing that I am having issues with is the sugars. I am going over in them anywhere from 10 to 20 a day......

Don't feel alone, every day I have a problem with sugar... seems to be natural sugar in fruit that throws me off so I don't worry too much.
  • nikibean123
    nikibean123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Don't feel alone, every day I have a problem with sugar... seems to be natural sugar in fruit that throws me off so I don't worry too much.

I have the same problem - seems to be bananas and other fruit that increase it but as they're naturally occurring I don't worry as much. I am making an effort to eat more salad/veg instead though to keep the sugars down.
  • diddles19
    diddles19 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Most people try to jump in and start with the "Lose 2lbs" a week program. Start at a lb or 1/2 a lb until your stomach shrinks, and you get use to the smaller portion sizes, then lower your calorie count. Determination isn't a bad thing, but don't make the boulder too big to push up the hill. Start with a smaller stone, then when you are use to pushing it, make the stone bigger. Don't set yourself up for failure. JMO

This is good advise.

You will get people saying 1200 is not enough but it depends on age height and activity. I am 5'2" 54 years old and don't move much. 1200 is fine for me and I am losing although slowly. If I want to eat more I move more but I try to net 1200 calories
  • djbeba
    djbeba Posts: 7
    Options
    I am doing ok. Sometimes I go over a bit but it's not a big deal. I am excercising a bit..not too much for now and feel GREAT!
    :)
  • naomibabylu
    Options
    Hi
    I was using my fitness pal last year and went from 9st 2lb down to 8st within 2 months and found it really worked for me but I was eating all the wrong things but staying with in my calories, now my aim is to start all over again currently weighing 8st 6lb want to get down to 8st and teach my self to eat healthier.
    Now im eating healthier but I am really struggling to eat enough calories since Monday I have maybe eaten a maximum of 900 calories a day that's 3 meals a day, I would like to aim for the maximum as I know eating too few calories can hinder weight loss, where am I going wrong? :sad:
  • wendy_j441
    wendy_j441 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It is trying to stay away from the junk and using fruit fresh and dried as a sweet treat and oh my it shoots it up fast.
  • naomibabylu
    Options
    Hi
    Iv tried cramming my morning smoothie with as much fruit as possible but it only seems to take me over my sugars too.
  • ashleighjade20
    ashleighjade20 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i find it hard sticking to 1200 calories if i make my own foods.. ive started eating weightwatchers meals with a bag of steam veg! it usually fills me up & its easier to keep track x
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I'm 56, yo yo dieted all my life. My first 3 months on MFP, I religiously followed a 1200 or less diet until I decided I couldn't do it anymore. I researched a different way, upped my calories to 1700 and never looked back. It's been working pretty well. Good luck finding your number.
  • gregskitten
    Options
    I wrote out a menu that I liked and modified it until I got it to 1,200 calories exactly.

I start with coffee with sugar free creamer
    1 cup Special K ~ Protein Plus
    1/2 cup 1% milk

snack is an EVOLVE protein shake from Muscle Milk

lunch is an entire can of Chunky Chicken Noodle Soup and a single serving of mandarin oranges

another EVOLVE protein shake curbs the hunger until dinner

dinner consistes of Stoffers Baked Chicken
    single serving of vegetables for one
    single serving of diced pears with spices and vanilla
    dessert is sugar free jello pudding

another EVOLVE protein shake before bed keeps me satisfied all not and I'm not tempted to midnght snack!!!
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I did this with 1200 calories. But that is before exercise. And i do like food, so i exercised usually at least 2 hours a day.
    That worked for me because it allowed more of everything. Yes, i often went over on sugar but it was because of the fruits, but
    i really didn't think too much on that.
    Best of luck - you can do it! Just move!