Unexpected side benefits of losing weight.

Options
I just recently realized some unexpected benefits to losing weight. It's been about three months since I took an antacid. I used to have to take nexium at least every other day for heart burn. I used to wake up with terrible acid reflux but not since I started eating right with the help of MFP. I also just realized I no longer try to keep my gut sucked in after getting undressed at night because I was ashamed and didn't want to disgust my wife. I no longer take aleve for lower back pain. I had three bottles in different areas of the house. These are all on top of the long list of expected benefits.

How about y''all? What are the things you've noticed that you didn't expect when you decided to lose weight?

Replies

• peales23
    Options
    Congratulations! It's amazing the things that go away when we're in better health.

I've noticed that my legs aren't as fatigued as they used to be, and maybe this is TMI, but I'm more regular too. ;)

Keep up the great work!
  • crystaldougherty
    crystaldougherty Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've noticed alot since I've started losing weight I'm over half way to my goal....
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    BRAVO!!! Congrats on making a big change for the better! :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Since I lost 35 lbs., my clothes obviously fit looser & that's a great feeling!
    Or to buy smaller sized clothes is waaaaaaay fun!

My gut is not distended and bloated all the time.

The "plumbing" also works better! :laugh: :love:
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    YAY! Those are amazing side affects, congratulations! I'm hoping my reflux will also go away, as well as my joint pain in my knees and hips. A non-weight goal of mine is to be able to swing with my daughters at the park, that will be a great day. :happy:
  • smsummers
    Options
    I have only lost 24lbs but I noticed my cheeks bones are reappearing...LOVE IT! Also, less fatigue for sure.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Less hotflashes! Ha! No rolls showing through on my back in a tighter blouse! :tongue:
  • happily
    happily Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I haven't had nearly as many "nervous breakdowns" since I've started exercising.
  • rayfromtx
    Options
    No more joint pain.
    Easy to squat down for long periods and get up without my knees killing me.
    I don't get the hiccups.
    I can bend over and tie my shoes after eating without the discomfort of my beach belly being in the way.
    Pride feels so much better than shame.

The only real down side that I can tell is that I now notice overweight people constantly and wish they could experience the benefits that I have found. Our country as a people are really out of shape. I was oblivious to the costs of my old lifestyle for so long.

I am so grateful for MFP and all of you for helping to make this happen.
  • boniekatie
    Options
    I've noticed that I find it easier to get up in the morning if I have exercised the day before.
  • ChuckgM3
    ChuckgM3 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that I can no longer rest a beer on my belly while sitting on the couch :D
  • julest25
    julest25 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that I can no longer rest a beer on my belly while sitting on the couch :D
    I like this one!
  • yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have only lost 24lbs but I noticed my cheeks bones are reappearing...LOVE IT! Also, less fatigue for sure.

I want to see my cheek bones! :) This is great! I can't wait to be able to list what I have experienced. Great work to you all!!!
  • skylersnanna
    Options
    I've only been doing this for 2 weeks, and I haven't had to take any antacids either, where I was taking about 10 tums a day
  • pavanneh
    pavanneh Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am hoping the obstructive sleep apnea will go away, along with the reflux, pain in my hips and knees and the shortness of breath going up and down stairs. Geez it is so easy to get out of shape and so much harder to get back in shape. :grumble:
  • jdawne
    jdawne Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oops.. thought I hit to quote the one about other heavy weight ppl looking at you wishing they could do it too.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I am so tired of hearing my friends say they wish they could do what I am doing. Honestly, I have started ignoring it. I can only say, "you can, just do it, I had to. It isn't easy, but I feel so much better and that has been worth every tear drop of frustration thus far."
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I haven't had nearly as many "nervous breakdowns" since I've started exercising.

i'll second that! my moods have leveled significantly..
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    More energy!:bigsmile:
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I just recently realized some unexpected benefits to losing weight. It's been about three months since I took an antacid. I used to have to take nexium at least every other day for heart burn. I used to wake up with terrible acid reflux but not since I started eating right with the help of MFP. I also just realized I no longer try to keep my gut sucked in after getting undressed at night because I was ashamed and didn't want to disgust my wife. I no longer take aleve for lower back pain. I had three bottles in different areas of the house. These are all on top of the long list of expected benefits.

How about y''all? What are the things you've noticed that you didn't expect when you decided to lose weight?

Wow 3 bottles scattered though out the house.

I'm happy for you. Those improvements alone make it all worthwhile.
  • karot32
    Options
    Same here with heartburn!! Also, my knees used to hurt when I was climbing stairs and such.. not anymore =)
  • susanleasings
    susanleasings Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    No more heartburn! My ankles don't hurt anymore! Healthier cravings! Healthier skin! More confidence! Better sex life! BETTER LIFE!!!! :bigsmile: