Puppy

Options
How on earth do I get my puppy to understand that when I'm doing pushups I'm not trying to play? So distracting (even if it is cute)!

Replies

• bk2011
    bk2011 Posts: 268
    Options
    Haha, I'm trying to figure out how to get my one year old little boy to understand this as well!!!
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    My dogs are 3, 4 and 7. Still any time I'm on the ground, it turns into jump on mom time. ...they're 70 lb dogs. :(
  • MISTTIMG
    MISTTIMG Posts: 136
    Options
    I don't think he's ever going to understand your 're on the floor, (in his space) and doing something that looks like fun and he's not invited. So, I would put him in another room or a crate while exercising.
  • karot32
    Options
    haha yea I can't do sit ups with my 1 year old daughter in the room because she feels the need to come over and sit on top of my stomach... this makes sit ups pretty difficult haha
  • katzpawz
    katzpawz Posts: 754
    Options
    How on earth do I get my puppy to understand that when I'm doing pushups I'm not trying to play? So distracting (even if it is cute)!

I've done a lot of dog training and I'd be glad to help. Send me a friend request and a private message. I have a few ideas that may help.

katzpawz
  • khollyk
    khollyk Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I usually put up a baby gate, keeping him in the kitchen and then fill a Kong with peanut butter and pieces of food, or matchstick carrots and give it to him. It keeps him occupied for awhile so that he doesn't stop whining. Works for even longer if you stick it in the freezer for an hour or so beforehand. :)
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I use the baby gate trick too... we have 4 little dachshunds. However, the baby gate does not help w/ our 2 cats.
  • Neuroticwench
    Neuroticwench Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My cat is like this when I'm trying to do my Leslie Sansone walk. He's so cute that it's hard to ignore him when he's begging for cuddles!
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    When I'm doing push-ups, I put the youngest under my face and blow raspberries on her tummy when I'm in down position. It makes her happy, keeps her from jumping on me, and makes me smile. When I'm doing sit-ups, I hold her. An extra 10 pounds to have to sit up never hurt someone, right? I've also used her for triceps ...

The grown up dogs tend to sleep on the couches or watch me and openly mock my attempts to get healthier :wink: