Feeling sick exercising?

Options
So last night I went to Planet Fitness for my first time, and I started with their 30 Minute circuit thing they have. I couldn't even make it too the last step!!!

I felt so sick I thought I was going to be sick right then and there! :(

I'm trying to start an exercise routine, to tone and get fit. I am not over weight and I am 24 years old. What could be causing me to get so nauseated? Like, I had to stop and was sick the entire car ride home, and about an hour after words.

I ate dinner about two hours prior, and I was drinking water.

Has anyone had this issue, and overcome it?

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercises were included in their circuit training? What did you eat for dinner? Increasing your blood pressure can make you nauseated, and if you don't exercise regularly, trying to do a 30-minute circuit training workout right off the bat is probably too much for you. Start off slowly, with 10-15 minutes of cardio exercise and see how that goes. Then slowly add time as you tolerate until you are able to make it to the time you are aiming for.
  • snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It may be from eating and drinking too much too soon before working out. On days that I plan on going to the gym, I will have a small snack and drink a liter of water 2-3 hours before going. I take a water bottle with me, but try to only take small sips so I don't get sick.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Could be that your calories are too low, you aren't consuming enough carbs, or you were exercising on an empty stomach.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Maybe you tried to do too much too soon.

Even those that are not overweight should start out slow and gradually increase if they have not been exercising.

JMO
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yep, all the time, always happens when i try new things, your body takes time to adjust.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options

Even those that are not overweight should start out slow and gradually increase if they have not been exercising.

JMO

This...
  • bunnyboocakes
    Options
    This has been happening to me for years. Been to doctors to try to figure out why. I monitor what I eat/ drink before and after excercise. I certainly don't push myself too hard because I don't want to get sick. Cardio doesn't bother me but strength training does. Just started working with a personal trainer to see if she can shed some light on this. Interesting that mccindy mentioned blood pressure increase. Can you shed some light on this? The last couple of times that I had my blood pressure checked it was on the high side. This has been a mystery to me for years. very frustrating when health is a priority and my body rejects. I feel your pain!
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    The too much too soon is probably right, but so is the food. I recently changed my routine to add more weight, and got a bit lightheaded/nauseated about halfway through. However, I wasn't eating in the morning. Now, I have 2 turkey sausage links & coffee and then go to the gym. It is just a little something, but my workout is better and my metabolism is flying high throughout the day!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're waiting enough time after meals and eating enough, you probably just pushed yourself too hard. Ease into it. Circuit programs can be very rough on someone who isn't used to working out.

Not sure if it helps, but I have post-workout hypoglycemia. I get really nauseous and cold and dizzy as soon as I finish working out. Eating some sugar right after working out helps greatly. If nothing else works, you could always give that a try.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options

JMO

Totally this! It is really not like in the 'Biggest loser' you have to continue till you puke. Just start slowly and gradually build it up. When I started working out I was pooped after 10 minutes of spinning already, now I can easily work out for 60 minutes and more.
  • Tyrelljamar
    Options
    I agree, you just need to slowly build yourself into any exercise. First, just learn the correct way to do the exercise then gradual increase the intenstiy. Stay with it!!!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you overexerted yourself. Even though you are young and not overweight, that doesn't mean you are in good shape :ohwell: I wasn't overweight either when I started, but I could barely run for more than a minute at at time or I thought I was going to die. I STILL get excruciating headaches that last for hours when I push myself too hard in the gym, and I consider myself to be pretty fit at this point!

Know your body, and don't be embarrassed or ashamed to take things slow. Everyone starts somewhere! Instead of starting off with a circuit, maybe do some light jogging on the treadmill, or use the elliptical. Slowly build up to trying the circuit again (circuits are awesome, but they are tough!) It's amazing how quickly you will get stronger and have more endurance - you'll be kicking that circuit's butt in no time!

If this keeps happening, though, I would talk to a doctor.
  • ohmyjiggle
    ohmyjiggle Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're waiting enough time after meals and eating enough, you probably just pushed yourself too hard. Ease into it. Circuit programs can be very rough on someone who isn't used to working out.

Not sure if it helps, but I have post-workout hypoglycemia. I get really nauseous and cold and dizzy as soon as I finish working out. Eating some sugar right after working out helps greatly. If nothing else works, you could always give that a try.

I did this, I ate an apple as soon as I got home, but I had to like force myself I felt terrible. I was dizzy and cold sweats as well.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I'd never experienced anything like it until on a 10k I decided I'd been taking it a bit too easy and really pushed myself for the last k - and the last couple of hundred meters was near a sprint, running way faster than everyone there (who were of course not the fast people).
    Had to push through the fence straight after the finish and there was significant gagging, though no actual sick.
    Suspect a lot of exertion when your body's not used to it could do it easily enough.

LaurenAOK: you haven't had a concussion or similar have you?
    Maybe 10 years ago or so I fell off a bike doing a wheelie at 60-70mph. Rolled on the ground on my not-perfect-fitting helmet.
    Had a VERY nasty concussion - really bad headache after which subsided after a week. However for about a year after, if I did any significant exercise, I got a headache. It faded after that - I presume it was a case of blood being pumped around bits that had some damage.

I did ask for a CAT scan - not just because the machines look futuristic-cool - but they just gave me an X-ray and I was happy enough the bone was in one piece.
  • ohmyjiggle
    Options
    It sounds like you overexerted yourself. Even though you are young and not overweight, that doesn't mean you are in good shape :ohwell: I wasn't overweight either when I started, but I could barely run for more than a minute at at time or I thought I was going to die. I STILL get excruciating headaches that last for hours when I push myself too hard in the gym, and I consider myself to be pretty fit at this point!

Know your body, and don't be embarrassed or ashamed to take things slow. Everyone starts somewhere! Instead of starting off with a circuit, maybe do some light jogging on the treadmill, or use the elliptical. Slowly build up to trying the circuit again (circuits are awesome, but they are tough!) It's amazing how quickly you will get stronger and have more endurance - you'll be kicking that circuit's butt in no time!

If this keeps happening, though, I would talk to a doctor.

Thank you! It is discouraging when I feel this way afterwards as I don't barely have time to get to the gym as it is, so to add an hour of be being sick and needed to just sit down afterwards just wont work for me lol.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    LaurenAOK: you haven't had a concussion or similar have you?
    Maybe 10 years ago or so I fell off a bike doing a wheelie at 60-70mph. Rolled on the ground on my not-perfect-fitting helmet.
    Had a VERY nasty concussion - really bad headache after which subsided after a week. However for about a year after, if I did any significant exercise, I got a headache. It faded after that - I presume it was a case of blood being pumped around bits that had some damage.

Oh man, that sucks!! :noway: Fortunately no, I've never had a concussion or anything. I'm just very prone to headaches - I have two different prescriptions for headaches in my medicine cabinet for this very reason :laugh: It's kind of the worst. Glad yours have faded away!
  • ohmyjiggle
    Options
    The too much too soon is probably right, but so is the food. I recently changed my routine to add more weight, and got a bit lightheaded/nauseated about halfway through. However, I wasn't eating in the morning. Now, I have 2 turkey sausage links & coffee and then go to the gym. It is just a little something, but my workout is better and my metabolism is flying high throughout the day!

I will have to try this, thank you!
  • ohmyjiggle
    Options
    What kind of exercises were included in their circuit training? What did you eat for dinner? Increasing your blood pressure can make you nauseated, and if you don't exercise regularly, trying to do a 30-minute circuit training workout right off the bat is probably too much for you. Start off slowly, with 10-15 minutes of cardio exercise and see how that goes. Then slowly add time as you tolerate until you are able to make it to the time you are aiming for.

I had coconut panko encrusted boneless chicken, broccoli spears, and a small amount of thai sweet chili noodles.

The circuit training is made up of I believe 20 steps? You do twelve reps on one machine at whatever amount of weight you set, then the next step is "steps" up and own on steps for a minute, then move to the next machine until you complete 20.
  • ohmyjiggle
    Options

JMO

Totally this! It is really not like in the 'Biggest loser' you have to continue till you puke. Just start slowly and gradually build it up. When I started working out I was pooped after 10 minutes of spinning already, now I can easily work out for 60 minutes and more.

I guess you are right, but I just have always thought "you are supposed to push through it"

That apparently is not going to work lol
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I had coconut panko encrusted boneless chicken, broccoli spears, and a small amount of thai sweet chili noodles.

The circuit training is made up of I believe 20 steps? You do twelve reps on one machine at whatever amount of weight you set, then the next step is "steps" up and own on steps for a minute, then move to the next machine until you complete 20.

I'd say your body was telling you too much, too soon. Just try cutting the workout in half and then slowly increasing as you tolerate. No one runs a marathon the first time they go for a jog. Let your body get used to the work. "Push through it" is not a good idea if your body is telling you to stop with nausea.