how to loose fast

Options
mochamommy
mochamommy Posts: 187 Member
Hi. I'm 39 and I'm finally ready to loose that 15 pounds and get back to my size 8 happy weight. I work out about 5 days a week, so I know with me it's all diet. So i've been here since monday and i've been tracking calories. It's shocking how little I can eat. It has me set on 1230 before exercise and i was probably eating a good 2000 plus a day before. And shockingly holding pretty steady at the 162 pounds I was at for a good 6 months. But I was 147 six years ago and would like to get back to that, even though metabolism has slowed down and activity as well once life gets busy. So any tips?

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Patience.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    -edit-

Are you eating your exercise calories back?
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    3500 calories is a pound - so if what you are doing now at 2000 calories is keeping you at the same weight - delete 500 calories/day would equal 1 pound loss per week. BUT DON'T go down to less than 1200 calories a day - your body needs that fuel just to survive - so try 1500 calories for a couple of weeks and see how that works for you - you should be down your 15 pounds in a few months!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Welcome to MFP. Well first of all I wouldn't always trust the MFP calorie recommendation. A lot of times it doesn't give you a great estimate of what you should eat, mostly due to how you set up your settings when you first joined. I would instead look at this thread and figure out how much to eat from there: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

It's very possible you are eating too little. I know I was when I first joined, and my results are so much better now that I've increased my intake. Besides that, there are really no "tips" we can give you - as long as you stay within your calorie goals and have patience, you're going to see results! I would definitely recommend reading the whole thread I posted above because it's basically a guide for MFP beginners :)
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    It's spelled l-o-s-e.

Pushing that aside, don't give up!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose weight fast is a really good poop.

Other than that, you are going to need some patience and be accountable for everything you put into your mouth.

The last 15 lbs is the hardest so if you find yourself not losing at 1230 per day, I would move your goal to .5 pounds a week and eat that amount of calories.

Good luck and remember, one bad day does not mean you have failed, start over again with the next right choice.

L
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    this shouldnt be a race. you didn't gain it all FAST so please lower your expectations back to reality and understand its going to be a gradual slow process. but as long as you are in a deficit, it will happen.
  • carneytrish4
    Options
    Are you S-E-R-I-O-U-S ?? jodicoady...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Patience.

this!

also, if you were maintaining your weight eating 2000 calories then just reduce how much you eat by 300-500 cals per day and you will lose weight.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options

Yes...it's just a friendly correction. No harm meant.
  • kkent4950
    Options
    Input everything you are eating for breakfast and lunch earlier in the day, and then adjust dinner accordingly so there are no surprises at the end of the day when imputing your calories.

Lean meats like chicken breast and veggies are great for filling up with minimal calories. I love 0 calorie honey Dijon mustard from Woodstock organic for topping grilled chicken adds great flavor. Lettuce wraps instead of bread can also minimize calories.

Not sure how intense your workouts are that you do 5 days/week. If it's the same thing all the time try to change them up and challenge yourself to do more things and/ or increase the intensity. If you aren't doing strength training, start. Great for reshaping the body.

1-2 lb/week max in weight loss is optimal.
  • mochamommy
    Options
    I lift weights for 45 minutes 2x a week, do a cardio dance class 2x a week for 60 minutes, a ballet barre class 2x a week for 60 minutes, and usually walk my dog about 45 minutes 3x a week. So the activeness of my life is probably why I didn't gain @ 2000 calories a day.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Yah before someone makes fun about all the loose weight running around.
  • mochamommy
    Options
    I also don't eat a lot of meat but I know I eat too much carbohydrates and cheese. I do not crave sugar. I crave nuts, salt, crackers, cheese and things like humus and cottage cheese. So what does that mean. I'm low on protein or I just love fats?
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I also don't eat a lot of meat but I know I eat too much carbohydrates and cheese. I do not crave sugar. I crave nuts, salt, crackers, cheese and things like humus and cottage cheese. So what does that mean. I'm low on protein or I just love fats?

Open your diary....
  • OregonRunner5
    OregonRunner5 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    You can lose a pound a day on Medifast, or DIY Medifast by buying Soy Protein Isolate and handfuls of vitamins and taking some fiber caplets with it. I tried Medifast and my doctor had a cow. She was livid and told me to stop at once. Since you're not morbidly obese I would say skip Medifast and try calorie reduction and exercise. I have seen that at Spark People their latest mega success story was done not on their diet but with Medifast.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You can lose a pound a day on Medifast, or DIY Medifast by buying Soy Protein Isolate and handfuls of vitamins and taking some fiber caplets with it. I tried Medifast and my doctor had a cow. She was livid and told me to stop at once. Since you're not morbidly obese I would say skip Medifast and try calorie reduction and exercise. I have seen that at Spark People their latest mega success story was done not on their diet but with Medifast.
    You can not lose a pound a day on anything when you have 15LBS to lose.
    No one should lose a pound a day. (except under very very close medical supervision and even then...why?)

OP: I'm assuming you want to lose the 15 and keep it off? i.e. you're not losing it for a tight dress that you'll wear once?
    In that case: ignore everything about medifast etc etc etc.
    Eat at a modest deficit, and move more.
    You did not gain it in 15 days and you can't lose it in 15 days. With so little to lose: aim for .5LB a week.
  • carneytrish4
    Options

No harm indeed when you are the person criticizing. Just saying ;-)
  • OregonRunner5
    OregonRunner5 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I was 185 starting and five days later 180. I got seriously grouchy. It was weird but after awhile I did stop feeling hungry.

Doctor didn't like it because several ladies had tried it in the office and had Yo-Yo'd massively - as soon as they stopped the diet they gained it back rapidly. I talked to one of them. And secondly I'm on medication that if it becomes too concentrated in my blood it goes toxic and without eating enough and having salt and other minerals in my blood stream I was at a high risk for toxicity.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I lift weights for 45 minutes 2x a week, do a cardio dance class 2x a week for 60 minutes, a ballet barre class 2x a week for 60 minutes, and usually walk my dog about 45 minutes 3x a week. So the activeness of my life is probably why I didn't gain @ 2000 calories a day.

yeah, so keep up your activity and eat a bit less and you will lose weight... it doesnt matter if yo ueat cheese or carrots or whatever else, just be in a deficit!