Does fidgeting burn more calories?

Options
Hear me out...i was just wondering if the constant tapping of my foot, moving of my leg, and such burns more calories than just plain ol'sitting still. I know it wouldn't be much but i was just curious...especially because I do it all day lol.

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Yes. Google spontaneous physical activity.

In fact, some research suggests that most of the metabolic downregulations that occur in response to dieting stems from a reduction in spontaneous physical activity. Put differently, people who are deficit resistant tend to unconsciously move less in response to dieting, thus making long term weight loss more difficult for them.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Yes :)
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Yes. Those people who can supposedly eat anything they want and not gain weight have been shown to increase fidgeting as caloric intake increases--eat more, burn more.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Often when people think that they have entered "starvation mode" or damaged their metabolism, it can be simply that they are consuming so few calories that they no longer have the energy to fidget, and are burning off less calories as a result.
  • callmeampersand
    callmeampersand Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didn't even realize! I shall keep up with my fidgeting :)

Thanks for all the replies!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Yes but standing up when talking on the phone and moving around whenever possible burns even more.