Question: Calluses when lifting

Options
2»

Replies

• bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I also found today that if I slightly change my grips in pulling motions (rows, etc) and let it rest in my fingers more than my palm, that it does help quite a bit. You guys may have known this already, but I just realized it with one of the posts.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves because I don't want man hands. Workout calluses, otherwise, are sexy!
  • danielle1009
    danielle1009 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I started wearing gloves a few weeks ago and love them! Finally my hands don't hurt during/after workouts, especially ones involving pull-ups, etc. I used to hate having to do those before b/c it was just downright painful. Now with gloves, pull-ups are my new favorite!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    i wear gloves at the gym, but none at home. i dont want to touch someone else's callus juice. lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I also found today that if I slightly change my grips in pulling motions (rows, etc) and let it rest in my fingers more than my palm, that it does help quite a bit. You guys may have known this already, but I just realized it with one of the posts.

gives you one hell of a grip too....

Also, this guy explains it way better than me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTqNSgCmM2s
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Here's an excerpt from the article here...

http://tumblrgymmuscle.tumblr.com/deadlift
    My hands hurt and I’m getting really bad callouses. Can I use gloves? Those who are purely bodybuilders will probably end up gravitating toward this, but before you go this route, consider a few things

The gloves make the bar larger in your hands, which makes it tougher to hold
    Gloves stop some callouses, but won’t stop all of them
    Your grip strength will be very problematic, as you will almost always be forced to use straps when gloves are used.
    The reason you are getting callouses, aside from potential lack of chalk (see above), is that you are holding the bar too high, up near the palm of your hand. The bar is going to pull downward until it bunches up the skin into the “crotch.” If you can feel the bar resting on this “fold” of skin you can count on getting some pretty heinous callouses. chalk up and grip the bar with the “hooks” of your fingers, and you will save yourself a lot of pain and agony in the hands.

With diligent chalk use, proper grip, and a little moisturizer in your hands when you wash, you can avoid the big nasty callouses and you won’t have to worry about making runs in your pantyhose.

Proper_Grip.jpg
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Like just about everyone else has mentioned, file them, pumice them and moisturize your hands. I've had tearing in the past which occurs on heavier weight and the bar shifting a bit but more so when the callouses have built up. Try and see if it helps.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I rock the gloves. And now I'll never stop rocking them because this thread just gave me a fear of touching someone else's "callus juice."
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    I figured this one out 25 years ago. My wife loves my muscles but hates rough callused hands caressing her which takes her out of the mood. Therefore I wear gloves! ; )

Bodily fluids (Callus juice) just added another reason!