Gastric Banding next month. Newbie, would love new friends.

Options
Hi, I'm 36 years old - short and fat. I'm married with three children. I live in the UK.
I have lost and gained so many times now and I am currently at my biggest with my BMI being slap bang on 40.

For over 6 months I have been considering Lap Band Surgery, having nearly inflicting brain damage with the amount of research I have done. I'm now booked in for surgery next month.

I am an awesome dieter, I know everything there is to know, I have a mind full of useful and useless information where it comes to food and diets and lifestyle and, and, and....

But, for some reason, when it comes to myself I just can't make it stick. So, not only am I an awesome dieter, I'm also a competent gainer. Which is where the band comes in. No more gaining it back!

I have struggled with my weight for 30 years and I very, very much do not want to carry on struggling for another 30+ years.

I would love to gather up some friends who are in a similar position - to give and receive support, ideas and experiences.

Replies

• aka_Kamalevantis
    Options
    I was on the waiting list in November 2012; I was told I had to lose at 5% of my body weight before I would be considered & I was given 12 weeks to do it. On the 24th January 2013 I had to make up my mind if I wanted to have surgery or go down the lifestyle route; I had lost 9% of my body weight, so I opted for lifestyle.... Here I am today (14 months later) weighing 123lb less & feeling pretty darn proud!

I was too chicken to go through with the surgery lol

I wish you well with the surgery & although I've not had it, please feel free to add me xXx
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I would recommend starting an exercise routine now (if possible) I started by walking 15 minutes a day and built up to 30 minutes twice a day. I joined a gym and now do cardio daily, weights 2X a week, plus try to make it to a couple of classes each month.
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I was on the waiting list in November 2012; I was told I had to lose at 5% of my body weight before I would be considered & I was given 12 weeks to do it. On the 24th January 2013 I had to make up my mind if I wanted to have surgery or go down the lifestyle route; I had lost 9% of my body weight, so I opted for lifestyle.... Here I am today (14 months later) weighing 123lb less & feeling pretty darn proud!

Applause!
  • minibandit
    Options

I was too chicken to go through with the surgery lol

I wish you well with the surgery & although I've not had it, please feel free to add me xXx

Will do, thank you!
  • minibandit
    Options
    Good luck! I would recommend starting an exercise routine now (if possible) I started by walking 15 minutes a day and built up to 30 minutes twice a day. I joined a gym and now do cardio daily, weights 2X a week, plus try to make it to a couple of classes each month.

I'm going to try and up my exercise as you say, I'll go gentle at first though as my knees and ankles complain a bit now, and I'm also trying to look at my food now and make small changes so that the liver shrinkage diet is not such a shock!

Thanks for friending me!
  • VikramMMohan
    Options
    It sounds scary introducing a hole in your intestine and putting a fake tube in there.

If you are a good dieter why not just keep dieting indefinitely and stop putting it back on?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Applause!

:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Hi, I'm 36 years old - short and fat. I'm married with three children. I live in the UK.
    I have lost and gained so many times now and I am currently at my biggest with my BMI being slap bang on 40.

For over 6 months I have been considering Lap Band Surgery, having nearly inflicting brain damage with the amount of research I have done. I'm now booked in for surgery next month.

I am an awesome dieter, I know everything there is to know, I have a mind full of useful and useless information where it comes to food and diets and lifestyle and, and, and....

But, for some reason, when it comes to myself I just can't make it stick. So, not only am I an awesome dieter, I'm also a competent gainer. Which is where the band comes in. No more gaining it back!

I have struggled with my weight for 30 years and I very, very much do not want to carry on struggling for another 30+ years.

I would love to gather up some friends who are in a similar position - to give and receive support, ideas and experiences.

to be successful at weight loss you need to be good at self awareness, not diets...
  • minibandit
    Options
    It sounds scary introducing a hole in your intestine and putting a fake tube in there.

If you are a good dieter why not just keep dieting indefinitely and stop putting it back on?

There are no 'holes put in to your intestine' with gastric banding but, thanks for your comment.
  • minibandit
    Options
    Shameless bump x
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

Applause!

I second this! :happy:
  • minibandit
    Options

Applause!

Which is fantastic but, derailing my thread a bit...:sad:
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Applause!

why? any posts give you a bump?
  • minibandit
    Options

Applause!

why? any posts give you a bump?

...and you are absolutely right, they do. And I wasn't being entirely serious when I posted that...that might not have come through...

However, I could ask 'Why?' back at you. For example, I wouldn't go in to a 'How to get cut' thread, purely because a) I'm not there yet but, you never know for the future, right? and b) I don't know enough to give advice. Same for an Atkins thread etc.

I also haven't replied on the Introductions page to people requesting 'friends in their 20's' - because I'm not in my 20's.
    So - as I said - Why?

Unless you are offering me support or a friend add, which I would take both gladly, why?
  • TavistockToad
    Options

...and you are absolutely right, they do. And I wasn't being entirely serious when I posted that...that might not have come through...

However, I could ask 'Why?' back at you. For example, I wouldn't go in to a 'How to get cut' thread, purely because a) I'm not there yet but, you never know for the future, right? and b) I don't know enough to give advice. Same for an Atkins thread etc.

I also haven't replied on the Introductions page to people requesting 'friends in their 20's' - because I'm not in my 20's.
    So - as I said - Why?

Unless you are offering me support or a friend add, which I would take both gladly, why?

so the person offering their experience after considering a gastic band shouldnt have posted... ok...

and i dont want a gastric band so i cant post... right... got you... bye!
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Gastric bypass is not a magic pill that will solve all your problems. You will have to permanently change your eating habits, and clearly you have shown you are not capable of making that kind of commitment.
  • minibandit
    Options
    Gastric bypass is not a magic pill that will solve all your problems. You will have to permanently change your eating habits, and clearly you have shown you are not capable of making that kind of commitment.

If everybody could make that commitment no one would need any kind of gastric surgery what so ever...
  • minibandit
    Options

So - as I said - Why?

so the person offering their experience after considering a gastic band shouldnt have posted... ok...

and i dont want a gastric band so i cant post... right... got you... bye!

That's not what I said at all - and you know that. And I am friends now with the lady who posted that and only seeing her posts over the last two days it is clear she is going to be one heck of an inspiration!

...and she friended me even though she doesn't want the surgery...
  • mzco14
    mzco14 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've too considered the band but I'm going keep pushing on my own for now. I wish ya much success. Keep us posted.
  • minibandit
    Options
    I've too considered the band but I'm going keep pushing on my own for now. I wish ya much success. Keep us posted.

Thanks so much and...will do! Wishing you success too - sounds like you've got it going!