appetite suppressant pill

Options
Does anyone know if there are really any pills to help with that supresssing your appetite? Im 180lbs 5'8 and I wanna lose 20lbs but i LOVE and I MEAN LOVE to eat? It seems to be an addiction for me! Thanks for any advice in advance Stacy

Replies

• gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    If there were, we wouldn't need to be here.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I dont think pills area good idea. Much better to train your body to recognise when it truly is hungry, rather than just eating from habit.
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Maybe try eating more fruits/veggies and more protein? The protein will help keep you fuller for longer.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    There are many out there. Do they work NO.

Just follow the MFP plan. It is easier and free. Really.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options

Truth.
  • blindcode
    Options
    Maybe try eating more fruits/veggies and more protein? The protein will help keep you fuller for longer.

Agreed! Peanut butter is a great protein sub. Try a small teaspoon every time you crave. It worked when I first started, and I was able to see results sooner.
  • stacy983
    Options
    Very True, But even people on here say Phentermine WORKS!!! Im at a loss Ive gained 20lbs in 4 years and Im totally disgusted
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you don't plan on taking a diet pill for the rest of your life you are better off learning to eat within your calorie limits. I have a few friends that will lose weight quickly on diet pills and then gain it back once they stop.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options

:tongue:
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    The OTC ones are typically bunk, and the prescription ones have side-affects and are usually only recommended for the very overweight.
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Phentermine works great... as long as you keep taking it. I lost a lot of weight but as soon as I came off of them, I gained the weight back, plus some. If you're wanting to change your diet, Phentermine is a great tool, but note that it will take a lot of self discipline once you come off of it.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you don't plan on taking a diet pill for the rest of your life you are better off learning to eat within your calorie limits.

QFT
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Very True, But even people on here say Phentermine WORKS!!! Im at a loss Ive gained 20lbs in 4 years and Im totally disgusted

Don't listen to those people. Read this instead, it's full of great advice:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=sexypants
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I've heard spirulina curbes appetite... I tried it a couple times and it didn't make a difference but it might work in the long run.
    Either way, my suggestion is to go natural.
  • stacy983
    Options
    So i shouldnt even try it, is the general concensus> LOL
  • johnsonb0921
    johnsonb0921 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you really think you may have a food addiction, it is a better idea to seek professional help. Taking an appetite suppressant - even one that works - is not going to solve your underlying psychological addiction to food. The end result being, as soon as you go off the pill, you'll gain all the weight back.

Everyone on here looking to lose weight LOVES food. We didn't become overweight by not wanting to eat. But losing weight is a lifestyle change - consciously making efforts to make better choices when it comes to what we put in our body. Frankly, you can still eat what you want and lose weight - just eat less of it, and move more. You'll find out though that if you choose to eat all of your daily calories in chocolate cake, you're gonna be a lot hungrier than if you eat your calories in protein, veggies, whole grains, and maybe a small serving of chocolate cake.
  • aaronengineer
    aaronengineer Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Loving to eat isn't usually the problem. The problem is usually what we eat and in what quantities. I LOVE to cook and eat good food. In the past that was always accompanied by grains and starches because that is what the "experts" said. According to them if I wanted to be healthy and lose weight I had to eat low fat. I have dropped the starches and grains and increased meat and vegetables/fruit. I have lost 25 lbs in 3 months.
    Part of that is the diet. I have also had some help from a nutritional shake, called Shakeology. It helps to keep me feeling fuller longer and giving me the energy to easily go from lunch to dinner (I replace my lunch with a shake). I also drink more water now, when I feel "hungry" because the body gives the same signal when it needs water as when it is hungry.
    I would urge you to watch the documentary Fat Head to get a different perspective on the way we should be eating. If Shakeology is something that intrigues you, by all means reach out to me and I will be happy to share more about my experience and what I've learned.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you don't plan on taking a diet pill for the rest of your life you are better off learning to eat within your calorie limits. I have a few friends that will lose weight quickly on diet pills and then gain it back once they stop.

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • mrskatbevins
    Options
    Stacy, general consensus, is don't do it. Water, protein, veggies and get moving. All this going to be far cheaper than any magic pill you can buy. Bust a move and munch away! Good luck!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

This!!!

You want that 20 lbs off for good right? Then work for it!