Thoughts on weighing in?

Replies

• GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    I weigh myself daily, but only log once, sometimes twice a week.
  • Sunday morning, every week.
  • kimberlypayne
    kimberlypayne Posts: 9 Member
    Daily can drive you crazy and produce wild up and down results based on what you ate - Best bet is weekly, same time, same scale is the best way to get the most accurate results.
  • newidentity316
    newidentity316 Posts: 12 Member
    I weigh in everyday now only because it keeps me honest and less likely to cheat. I was weighing in only on Sundays, but then it was cheat, cheat , cheat, till around Thursday morning. Then hungry and miserable till weigh in again. It made for a very miserable weekend.

Now, at least if I forget to put something I ate in or don't log what I've eaten for days at least I'm pretty sure of how I'm doing food wise by watching my daily weight. Though I may not record my weight, I still get on the scale daily sometimes twice daily (morning and night). It's my morning before food and nude weight I record.

That's interesting. That's exactly what my wife does.
  • christa0130
    christa0130 Posts: 102 Member
    I started to weigh in everyday in the morning before food/exercise. Its easier to see trends that way.

I do the same. It's easier to see what "bad" days do to you!
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    I tend to weigh myself multiple times a week, but I only count officially once a week. Weighing everyday is okay, if you want, so long as you realize that it's going to fluctuate (can be up to 8 pounds either direction) and that it isn't going to be all that accurate. That way you don't get too obsessed with a silly little number.
  • newidentity316
    Daily can drive you crazy and produce wild up and down results based on what you ate - Best bet is weekly, same time, same scale is the best way to get the most accurate results.

That's what I've been thinking. I went hungry all day yesterday and hit the calorie goal and though for sure I would have lost some but I gained .5 pound.
  • LanaeCarol
    LanaeCarol Posts: 158 Member
    I weigh myself daily and record that in an excel file so I can see the fluctuations as well as the general trend. I only record my weight once a week in MFP, always the same day, keeping the variables as constant as I can.
  • kgiselle1
    kgiselle1 Posts: 1 Member
    I would weigh myself everyday, but get discouraed instead i will make a goal to only weigh myself once a week. because it gets stressful
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    I am ready to give up the scale and just go by how my clothes feel!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    I weigh every morning. To do this successfully though, you really can't let weight fluctuations get to you. I just find that it's much easier to identify trends when you're doing it every day.

If you do it once a week, for example, and Week 1 your on the lower end of body weight fluctuations, and weeks 2 and 3 you're on the upper end of it, it could look like you haven't lost any weight in 2 weeks when it could just be due to those fluctuations.

If you do it every day, comparing average weights for this week against the average weight from last week gives you a 'truer' picture.

I also, get a better sense of how different foods and exercises affect my weight by weighing every day.

Edit: It could be cool to have a wireless scale that tracks your weight but doesn't tell you so you don't get discouraged day-to-day, but that could give you better feedback than a once-a-week weigh-in.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I don't have a meditation, if that's what you mean. I do have a goal. To keep track of my weight. I also measure myself every few months, as the scale is just one indicator.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    I weigh-in daily but I am aware that daily, weekly and monthly fluctuations can cause slight ups & downs so I only really "count" one weigh-in each week. I like Wednesdays, because that way, any excess salt/alcohol bloat from the weekend has been flushed away.
  • nomad1000
    nomad1000 Posts: 206 Member
    I weigh every morning as a reference check. I can't help it.

But, I only log Sunday and Wednesday weights.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    I like to weigh every morning, but my "official" weigh in is once a week. Same day, same time, same configuration.
    Same same. My day is Wednesday so I have time to drop some water weight after going out on the weekend. If the fluctuations stress you out it might be a better idea not to weigh everyday. I like seeing the fluctuations because it helps me see why my weight goes up or down.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Generally 5 days per week and at least 3. I'm an accountant/budget/data analyst, so I like data points and watching trends. This probably isn't a good idea though if you don't understand natural weight fluctuations and how your body works and that scale weight is not all fat...there's a lot that goes into that number on the scale, but many, if not most just don't understand what makes up that number.
  • newidentity316
    I weigh every morning. To do this successfully though, you really can't let weight fluctuations get to you. I just find that it's much easier to identify trends when you're doing it every day.

If you do it once a week, for example, and Week 1 your on the lower end of body weight fluctuations, and weeks 2 and 3 you're on the upper end of it, it could look like you haven't lost any weight in 2 weeks when it could just be due to those fluctuations.

If you do it every day, comparing average weights for this week against the average weight from last week gives you a 'truer' picture.

I also, get a better sense of how different foods and exercises affect my weight by weighing every day.

Edit: It could be cool to have a wireless scale that tracks your weight but doesn't tell you so you don't get discouraged day-to-day, but that could give you better feedback than a once-a-week weigh-in.

• I try to weigh in one a week, same day, same time. I also try to take measurements once a month. This helps me see the whole picture.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member

Me too.
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    My first thought before getting on the scale is "Oh man I hope I lost weight".