Planet Fitness removing squat racks? Aroo?

Options

Replies

• jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    10 bucks a month for a climate controlled, lighted, sheltered place to run when I need it is just fine for me. I don't go anywhere near it on the first monday night of the month as it is full of people you won't see the rest of the month, just there to get pizza.

When I needed to lose enough weight just to move PF was there for me. I'm there a lot right now because black ice abounds and I cannot run outside. Come march or April you'll seldom see me there, only for the weights machines. I plan on moving by the end of the year and anything where I want to move to is super wicked expensive especially compared to 10 bucks a month. I may look into investing in some home gym equipment, but really all I need is ice free running space. I have reflective gear, rain gear and cold weather gear. As long as I'm not going to slip on black ice, I don't need a gym except for the machines. Maybe there will be a YMCA by me.

When I was a true beginner, it fit. Now the price is right especially since my health plan will foot the bill...

I have only seen the lunk alarm go off once. I set it off. I was watching a Patriots game, Brady threw a pick and I let out a stream of loud obscenities that were worthy of the saltiest of sailors.

Off topic, but you must be from Massachusetts or somewhere close by ... Pats fan being pissed at Brady, and most of all, "wicked"

I'm a former Masshole myself, so hey, good to meet ya!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I have kind of a random work schedule, so I signed up at PF because they're 24 hours. Terrible mistake. With just a few months of consistent lifting I need larger dumbbells than they offer. Unfortunately, their ads that say "no contract" are kind of misleading. If you get the Black Card, you're locked in for a year. So now I'm paying for TWO gyms: one that has the equipment I need, and PF because it's cheaper to just ride out the 1-year commitment at this point than to pay the early termination fee.

Make sure you're all over the process to terminate your contract at the right time in the right way. These gyms with business models that rely on members paying but not attending have some ridiculous cancellation requirements...and there may be an auto-renewal clause that puts you on the hook for another year if you don't do it right. Ideally (for them), you'd just decide to keep it since it's *only* $10/month and you *might* want to use their facilities occasionally...and free pizza...and bagels...so why wouldn't you just keep your membership?...(they'll say).

*This* is their primary business model so they have all kinds of tricks to get more of your money.

NOTE: This isn't exclusively PF's business model, but they're really good at it.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Planet-Fitness-PFX-10.jpg

unfortunately I don't belong

there's so much hating on lunks :sad:

lunks are people too :sad:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Is it just me or does this look like one of the rooms in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory?

Actually it looks more the floor of a cult's gym to me...

it reminds me of the gym from dodgeball ..globogym or whatever? LOL
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think they know exactly what they are doing. People will pay and then stop going and many may not pay any attention to the 10.00 coming out of their account every month. Sad thing is they are probably raking it in this month with some of the Resolutionaries.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    10 bucks a month for a climate controlled, lighted, sheltered place to run when I need it is just fine for me. I don't go anywhere near it on the first monday night of the month as it is full of people you won't see the rest of the month, just there to get pizza.

When I needed to lose enough weight just to move PF was there for me. I'm there a lot right now because black ice abounds and I cannot run outside. Come march or April you'll seldom see me there, only for the weights machines. I plan on moving by the end of the year and anything where I want to move to is super wicked expensive especially compared to 10 bucks a month. I may look into investing in some home gym equipment, but really all I need is ice free running space. I have reflective gear, rain gear and cold weather gear. As long as I'm not going to slip on black ice, I don't need a gym except for the machines. Maybe there will be a YMCA by me.

When I was a true beginner, it fit. Now the price is right especially since my health plan will foot the bill...

I have only seen the lunk alarm go off once. I set it off. I was watching a Patriots game, Brady threw a pick and I let out a stream of loud obscenities that were worthy of the saltiest of sailors.

Off topic, but you must be from Massachusetts or somewhere close by ... Pats fan being pissed at Brady, and most of all, "wicked"

I'm a former Masshole myself, so hey, good to meet ya!

Yup, grew up in Somerville. Transplanted to NH planning on heading back to MA

BIRgYn7CAAAptXB.jpg
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    These places are pretty amusing.

At the end of the day though they are catering to a certain market so they can make money. If you don't like it then step one is not to give them your money.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    we're at the level that they are offering.

That doesn't really mean anything, honestly. There's no "level" you need to be at to do squats and deadlifts. I'm not sure what weight training you're doing at PF, but they clearly fail to offer the most effective tools out there for people in your situation.

There are levels. And the first one is "beginner". At least that's how it was for me. I didn't stay at the beginner level. I've progressed beyond that and I plan to progress beyond the level I am now to more advanced things. And working my way up slowing and adding different activities as I go is how I build discipline. It would mean nothing for me to start at a more advanced level, get frustrated with myself, and then quit. Which I have done in the past. But, when I started off slowly at a beginner's level, I gained confidence, strength, and discipline. And, when I outgrew the beginner's level activities, it made me want to push myself to more. That's all I'm saying. Joining PF helped me do that. I NEEDED that to get myself where I am to day and to help motivate me to more in the future. I will probably outgrow PF soon. And when I do, I'll move on to something else. And that's fine too. As a matter of fact, that was always my goal. The fact that I can say that I am outgrowing PF is a HUGE accomplishment for me when two years ago, a twenty minute walk was painful for me.

I dont understand this either..if you start with a 100# deadlift that is not advanced….

Figuring out a convenient way to get that 100# deadlift at proper height (using iron plates) can be an advanced problem though.

true...
  • Scremoshells
    Options
    lunk-alarm-640x250.jpg

I work out at PF- and that alarm really went off one time!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    These places are pretty amusing.

At the end of the day though they are catering to a certain market so they can make money. If you don't like it then step one is not to give them your money.

agree..but it makes for a good thread topic...
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The owner of Planet Fitness must of been traumatized by that bodybuilder in his past that beat him up and then sexed his girlfriend right in front of him.

That is friggin hilarious!!
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Just watched a video where I guy is being thrown out for deadlifting (5/6 plates) after dropping the weight. The "instructor" or whatever they call themselves says "deadlifts aren't allowed here". Just thought I would add this in case you thought it was just squats. Lol.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Let's see what George Carlin might have said, regarding this topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtK_YsVInw8

Just sayin...
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    The owner of Planet Fitness must of been traumatized by that bodybuilder in his past that beat him up and then sexed his girlfriend right in front of him.

Nah.

I think the owner of Planet Fitness is sitting back happily surrounded by all the money he's making off the franchise.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Is it true they have pizza parties and bagels there? Being new to this (no, I'm not a resolutioner, I started in October and still at it :) ), I can't even imaging being tempted to eat junk at the place where I go to for healthy living.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I used to belong to PF (I'm a New Englander) and it was great for what I needed... a place I didn't feel intimidated to go to that was cheap and convenient and local. It's also the ONLY gym in my town, currently. I live in a rural farm community.

They are meant for beginners, not serious lifters. That's their niche, that's their market. That is how they can afford $10 memberships. And honestly, you don't NEED a squat rack in the same way you don't NEED a treadmill. You do not need a single piece of gym equipment to be fit, it can be done in a million other ways. So if you need a squat rack, get one at home or go to another gym. Sheesh.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I used to belong to PF (I'm a New Englander) and it was great for what I needed... a place I didn't feel intimidated to go to that was cheap and convenient and local. It's also the ONLY gym in my town, currently. I live in a rural farm community.

They are meant for beginners, not serious lifters. That's their niche, that's their market. That is how they can afford $10 memberships. And honestly, you don't NEED a squat rack in the same way you don't NEED a treadmill. You do not need a single piece of gym equipment to be fit, it can be done in a million other ways. So if you need a squat rack, get one at home or go to another gym. Sheesh.

And what's your justification for them being judgmental *kitten*?
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Nah.

I think the owner of Planet Fitness is sitting back happily surrounded by all the money he's making off the franchise.

^^THIS!
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Is it just me or does this look like one of the rooms in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory?

Actually it looks more the floor of a cult's gym to me...

it reminds me of the gym from dodgeball ..globogym or whatever? LOL
    Haha!!! If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!!!!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    And what's your justification for them being judgmental *kitten*?

It's their "humorous" marketing hook. They get a ton of brand recognition for it along with their color scheme and their mission statement. And they have every right to position their business how they choose. They can carry any equipment they want. Why should it bother you? I doubt you preen around and shout and drop weights. I don't know any macho cheeseballs who actually DO any of that... it seems like a throwback from 80s movies. (If someone IS actually doing that in a gym, they should be shamed. It's obnoxious. The lifters I know are not like that at all...)

Gyms can carry whatever equipment they want. If they eliminated treadmills would you complain? But more of their demographic is interested in cardio than lifting. It's business. It's how it works. There is more to making those decisions than ruining life for lifters. There are financial factors like propensity for injury/lawsuits and actual USE of equipment by their consumers that gets taken into account in addition to branding.