Planet Fitness removing squat racks? Aroo?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've said this before, I think it's an absolutely a brilliant business model and they know exactly what they are doing. They are not after people who want a gym experience. They are after people that will pay $10 a month and never show up. It doesn't matter to them. They are not after most people here. It's not really a gym, you guys. It's so obvious. It's a membership to a "gym". So, someone can tell their friends, "I joined a gym", and then never go. The $10/month is so small that no one cancels. And, they have lots of people continuing to pay monthly fees that never show up. It's absolutely brilliant. They don't want you and me there because we use the *kitten* out of the place and put wear and tear on the equipment. You and I are not part of their business model.

It's is brilliant. I wish I thought of it first.

Same point I tried to make....business model as they are a business and can still help some...

And this is all perfectly fine. But they can do it without calling us 'lunks' (still can't quite believe I can consider myself part of a group identified as 'lunks'). While at the same time claiming to be judgement free. I don't care whether it's good or bad business. I'm peeved by the hypocrisy.

And I still say this hypocrisy is entirely intentional as a PR move. PF gets bashed all over the internet because of it...which gets its name in front of its target audience. You think it's an accident that their commercials ridicule and alienate "lunks"? I don't.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I personally use the Smith machines for squats and in my PF gym we didn't have the squat racks so I'm not missing out on anything. I actually don't mind PF cause it fits my needs (mostly cardio). I only lift to tone but not to build up. Also the 2 gyms I visit (I have the black card) all the people that work there are nice and courteous. In general I can't complain.

Just throwing this out there.....It is really, really, really hard to put on substancial muscle mass "build up". It takes a ton of work and eating at a surplus.

The lifting alone doesn't make you bigger, it needs to be coupled with how much you eat as well.

^^ Lunk alert right there!!! ZMGOD I'd so purple button you.

lunk-alarm.jpg
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have kind of a random work schedule, so I signed up at PF because they're 24 hours. Terrible mistake. With just a few months of consistent lifting I need larger dumbbells than they offer. Unfortunately, their ads that say "no contract" are kind of misleading. If you get the Black Card, you're locked in for a year. So now I'm paying for TWO gyms: one that has the equipment I need, and PF because it's cheaper to just ride out the 1-year commitment at this point than to pay the early termination fee.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I personally use the Smith machines for squats and in my PF gym we didn't have the squat racks so I'm not missing out on anything. I actually don't mind PF cause it fits my needs (mostly cardio). I only lift to tone but not to build up. Also the 2 gyms I visit (I have the black card) all the people that work there are nice and courteous. In general I can't complain.

Just throwing this out there.....It is really, really, really hard to put on substancial muscle mass "build up". It takes a ton of work and eating at a surplus.

The lifting alone doesn't make you bigger, it needs to be coupled with how much you eat as well.

^^ Lunk alert right there!!! ZMGOD I'd so purple button you.

lunk-alarm.jpg

For knowing something about fitness and how the body actually works?

Either way, sweet, my first and probably only lunk.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Or isolation machines so no risk of injury because you can do it right.

This is probably addressed in the several pages I haven't read yet, but just in case...

I completely disagree with this statement.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I've said this before, I think it's an absolutely a brilliant business model and they know exactly what they are doing. They are not after people who want a gym experience. They are after people that will pay $10 a month and never show up. It doesn't matter to them. They are not after most people here. It's not really a gym, you guys. It's so obvious. It's a membership to a "gym". So, someone can tell their friends, "I joined a gym", and then never go. The $10/month is so small that no one cancels. And, they have lots of people continuing to pay monthly fees that never show up. It's absolutely brilliant. They don't want you and me there because we use the *kitten* out of the place and put wear and tear on the equipment. You and I are not part of their business model.

Same point I tried to make....business model as they are a business and can still help some...

And this is all perfectly fine. But they can do it without calling us 'lunks' (still can't quite believe I can consider myself part of a group identified as 'lunks'). While at the same time claiming to be judgement free. I don't care whether it's good or bad business. I'm peeved by the hypocrisy.

And I still say this hypocrisy is entirely intentional as a PR move. PF gets bashed all over the internet because of it...which gets its name in front of its target audience. You think it's an accident that their commercials ridicule and alienate "lunks"? I don't.

Agreed. Smart move, really.
  • tnicmorris
    tnicmorris Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have kind of a random work schedule, so I signed up at PF because they're 24 hours. Terrible mistake. With just a few months of consistent lifting I need larger dumbbells than they offer. Unfortunately, their ads that say "no contract" are kind of misleading. If you get the Black Card, you're locked in for a year. So now I'm paying for TWO gyms: one that has the equipment I need, and PF because it's cheaper to just ride out the 1-year commitment at this point than to pay the early termination fee.

There should definitely be a one month trial at PF so this kind of thing doesn't happen. Especially since they cater to a specific target demographic. That sucks to have to pay two memberships.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

No, I don't think it's accidental. I don't think it's done out of wide eyed innocence and ignorance of their hypocrisy. I'm certain that they have a good laugh about it from time to time in marketing meetings.

Doesn't make it ok.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    10 bucks a month for a climate controlled, lighted, sheltered place to run when I need it is just fine for me. I don't go anywhere near it on the first monday night of the month as it is full of people you won't see the rest of the month, just there to get pizza.

When I needed to lose enough weight just to move PF was there for me. I'm there a lot right now because black ice abounds and I cannot run outside. Come march or April you'll seldom see me there, only for the weights machines. I plan on moving by the end of the year and anything where I want to move to is super wicked expensive especially compared to 10 bucks a month. I may look into investing in some home gym equipment, but really all I need is ice free running space. I have reflective gear, rain gear and cold weather gear. As long as I'm not going to slip on black ice, I don't need a gym except for the machines. Maybe there will be a YMCA by me.

When I was a true beginner, it fit. Now the price is right especially since my health plan will foot the bill...

I have only seen the lunk alarm go off once. I set it off. I was watching a Patriots game, Brady threw a pick and I let out a stream of loud obscenities that were worthy of the saltiest of sailors.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Or isolation machines so no risk of injury because you can do it right.

This is probably addressed in the several pages I haven't read yet, but just in case...

I completely disagree with this statement.

You would be correct. Time for my anecdotal story.

I have, in my life, had exactly one hernia. I used to work in a warehouse lifting heavy boxes all day and never had a problem. So, how did I get that hernia? 20 years ago, when I was completely new at the gym, I had no f'ing clue what I was doing. I put waaaay too much weight on the preacher curl machine and/or didn't have the seat/arm-support set up correctly. Straining to do those curls, I felt a rip/pop/ugliness in my lower ab area. It didn't go away after a week, so I went to see the doctor. Hernia, it was - from misusing a machine at the gym.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options

I have only seen the lunk alarm go off once. I set it off. I was watching a Patriots game, Brady threw a pick and I let out a stream of loud obscenities that were worthy of the saltiest of sailors.

The lunk alarm goes off frequently at mine. At some point, someone's going to get injured when it goes off and startles them mid-lift.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I don't see the problem here.

People who want to use squat racks have lots of gym choices.

People who don't want gyms with people who use racks have apparently only one choice. Why do you want to take that choice away from those people?

People who don't want squat racks should buy a treadmill or elliptical on craigslist and save themselves membership fees.

PF-quality treadmill = $1,500+
    PF-quality elliptical = $1,250+

$2,750...at $10/month, you could have a membership at PF for about 23 years for the same price...and that ignore the time value of $...and maintenance...and storage space.

Sure, having one in your home is more convenient...but if you're just looking at the cost, I'm not convinced that it's a clear win for buying your own equipment...

(...and this is from a guy w/ a commercial quality treadmill, full cage, etc. in his own basement.)
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    I'm so glad that my gym has a squat rack and is in the comfort of my garage.
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Never been to a PF and probably never will, but this thinking illustrates why I gave up gyms about 15 years ago. The last gym I trained at, the manager gave me one of those nasty looks for a heavy barbell that slipped from my hand because why? NO CHALK! That was the last straw for me.

For what you shell out in gym fees, you can get your own equipment in fairly short order. Squat, bench, dead...and since you're at home, you can drop the weight any time you like (as long as the kids aren't sleeping and the wife don't mind). Apartment and condo dwellers might have neighbors to consider.

I've found that I'm much happier training at home. Don't have the drive to/from the gym, it's open when I say it's open, and if I want to lift a 500 lb barbell by standing on one leg while twisting to one side or the other, then I can.

Cellar dwellers and garage gorillas are, as a group, among the strongest folks out there.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    we're at the level that they are offering.

That doesn't really mean anything, honestly. There's no "level" you need to be at to do squats and deadlifts. I'm not sure what weight training you're doing at PF, but they clearly fail to offer the most effective tools out there for people in your situation.

There are levels. And the first one is "beginner". At least that's how it was for me. I didn't stay at the beginner level. I've progressed beyond that and I plan to progress beyond the level I am now to more advanced things. And working my way up slowing and adding different activities as I go is how I build discipline. It would mean nothing for me to start at a more advanced level, get frustrated with myself, and then quit. Which I have done in the past. But, when I started off slowly at a beginner's level, I gained confidence, strength, and discipline. And, when I outgrew the beginner's level activities, it made me want to push myself to more. That's all I'm saying. Joining PF helped me do that. I NEEDED that to get myself where I am to day and to help motivate me to more in the future. I will probably outgrow PF soon. And when I do, I'll move on to something else. And that's fine too. As a matter of fact, that was always my goal. The fact that I can say that I am outgrowing PF is a HUGE accomplishment for me when two years ago, a twenty minute walk was painful for me.

I dont understand this either..if you start with a 100# deadlift that is not advanced….

Figuring out a convenient way to get that 100# deadlift at proper height (using iron plates) can be an advanced problem though.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    lunk-alarm-640x250.jpg

"Ricky" sounds like a normal gym go-er to me. I must go to an intimidating gym.....

I want to know why specifically a gallon? Is Ricky committing some kind of faux pas by being really thirsty? Educate an ignorant Englishman, please?

As an Englishman one should surely know it's uncouth to sip from such a terribly large vessel.

:wink:
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    GRRR, Its the only thing I like doing !!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Planet-Fitness-PFX-10.jpg

Is it just me or does this look like one of the rooms in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory?

Actually it looks more the floor of a cult's gym to me...
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options

No, I don't think it's accidental. I don't think it's done out of wide eyed innocence and ignorance of their hypocrisy. I'm certain that they have a good laugh about it from time to time in marketing meetings.

Doesn't make it ok.

I would agree with because I think when most people ask what a "lunk" uses for equipment, i'm sure the squat rack is mentioned
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    lunk-alarm-640x250.jpg

"Ricky" sounds like a normal gym go-er to me. I must go to an intimidating gym.....

I want to know why specifically a gallon? Is Ricky committing some kind of faux pas by being really thirsty? Educate an ignorant Englishman, please?

As an Englishman one should surely know it's uncouth to sip from such a terribly large vessel.

:wink:

We should perhaps get him a nice cup of tea, instead?