Planet Fitness removing squat racks? Aroo?

Options

Replies

• ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    The owner of Planet Fitness must of been traumatized by that bodybuilder in his past that beat him up and then sexed his girlfriend right in front of him.

Nah.

I think the owner of Planet Fitness is sitting back happily surrounded by all the money he's making off the franchise.
    Ya, both are probably true!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Gyms can carry whatever equipment they want. If they eliminated treadmills would you complain? But more of their demographic is interested in cardio than lifting. It's business. It's how it works. There is more to making those decisions than ruining life for lifters. There are financial factors like propensity for injury/lawsuits and actual USE of equipment by their consumers that gets taken into account in addition to branding.

If there were a gym that had freeweights and no cardio equipment, and a bunch of signs saying runners are "fanks" who aren't welcome, and a big "fank alarm" button you could hit when someone tries to run...... then, yeah, I'd complain because it's offensive and stupid.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have kind of a random work schedule, so I signed up at PF because they're 24 hours. Terrible mistake. With just a few months of consistent lifting I need larger dumbbells than they offer. Unfortunately, their ads that say "no contract" are kind of misleading. If you get the Black Card, you're locked in for a year. So now I'm paying for TWO gyms: one that has the equipment I need, and PF because it's cheaper to just ride out the 1-year commitment at this point than to pay the early termination fee.

Make sure you're all over the process to terminate your contract at the right time in the right way. These gyms with business models that rely on members paying but not attending have some ridiculous cancellation requirements...and there may be an auto-renewal clause that puts you on the hook for another year if you don't do it right. Ideally (for them), you'd just decide to keep it since it's *only* $10/month and you *might* want to use their facilities occasionally...and free pizza...and bagels...so why wouldn't you just keep your membership?...(they'll say).

*This* is their primary business model so they have all kinds of tricks to get more of your money.

NOTE: This isn't exclusively PF's business model, but they're really good at it.

I'm all over the fine print on this one. (Wish I had been before I signed...sigh.) There's no renewal of the yearly commitment, though I do have to cancel in person (I bet that'll be fun) or by certified mail by a certain date to avoid being billed for an extra month.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I used to belong to PF (I'm a New Englander) and it was great for what I needed... a place I didn't feel intimidated to go to that was cheap and convenient and local. It's also the ONLY gym in my town, currently. I live in a rural farm community.

They are meant for beginners, not serious lifters. That's their niche, that's their market. That is how they can afford $10 memberships. And honestly, you don't NEED a squat rack in the same way you don't NEED a treadmill. You do not need a single piece of gym equipment to be fit, it can be done in a million other ways. So if you need a squat rack, get one at home or go to another gym. Sheesh.

I live in Connecticut (part of New England, for those unfamiliar with US geography). I pay $10/month for cardio equipment, machines, free weights (DBS go over 100 lbs + Oly barbells), squat rack, power cage, and several plate-loaded pieces of equipment. The excuse that that's how they can afford $10 memberships is invalid.

As far as being able to do everything w/o a squat rack goes: if I want to spend 2 hours or more in the gym to hit all the muscles I can hit in 30-45 minutes with squats, deadlifts, OHP, and bench, sure. But the opportunity cost is too great, IMO.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    And what's your justification for them being judgmental *kitten*?

It's their "humorous" marketing hook. They get a ton of brand recognition for it along with their color scheme and their mission statement. And they have every right to position their business how they choose. They can carry any equipment they want. Why should it bother you? I doubt you preen around and shout and drop weights. I don't know any macho cheeseballs who actually DO any of that... it seems like a throwback from 80s movies. (If someone IS actually doing that in a gym, they should be shamed. It's obnoxious. The lifters I know are not like that at all...)

Gyms can carry whatever equipment they want. If they eliminated treadmills would you complain? But more of their demographic is interested in cardio than lifting. It's business. It's how it works. There is more to making those decisions than ruining life for lifters. There are financial factors like propensity for injury/lawsuits and actual USE of equipment by their consumers that gets taken into account in addition to branding.

^^THIS...Liability was my first thought, when I saw this thread. Marketing ploys were obvious. Although, I'd rather look like the dumb "Lunk chicks," than the average Jane gym-goer, and their advertising seems to say PF provides opposite results, which is hilarious in itself. :laugh:
  • StarFit4Life
    StarFit4Life Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Leading up to the new year were a whole bunch of threads from users complaining about all the newbies who would be joining THEIR gym (because clearly only their money counts). Threads about how the newbies would be taking up all the equipment, using it wrong, and how the newbies should just hurry up with failing so the gym can be less crowded again. It was almost as though people thought these newbies didn't belong at THEIR gym (seriously, the newbies money was probably worth less than their money right?). It was almost as though people wished the newbies would all go someplace else. Like, hmm, I dunno, a gym aimed at newbies?

:flowerforyou:
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Here's what can happen when the lunk alarm goes off....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gfJTXDppVNA
  • kellyann2112
    Options
    Okay then. I wish I had the time and energy to get so worked up about such inconsequential nonsense. A business can carry whatever equipment they deem appropriate.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Planet-Fitness-PFX-10.jpg

I'm not a fan. ;)
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    lunk-alarm-640x250.jpg

I work out at PF- and that alarm really went off one time!

My name is Ricky and that signs offends me.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I think the point is not everyone wants or likes to lift. In addition if made to start with lifting someone may not stick with it. People have different goals and reasons for what they do.

But that's not really accurate, is it? They're not getting rid of free weights, or even all barbells. They'll still have bench press, obv. Gotta have bench press :eyeroll:

Makes me want to go to a PF and start doing hang snatches. I can't think of anything in their rules that prevents that, but it would likely give the employees an aneurysm.

What if...someone organized a hang snatch flash mob at the largest planet fitness, and filmed it, and youtubed it. What would be the theme music?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Leading up to the new year were a whole bunch of threads from users complaining about all the newbies who would be joining THEIR gym (because clearly only their money counts). Threads about how the newbies would be taking up all the equipment, using it wrong, and how the newbies should just hurry up with failing so the gym can be less crowded again. It was almost as though people thought these newbies didn't belong at THEIR gym (seriously, the newbies money was probably worth less than their money right?). It was almost as though people wished the newbies would all go someplace else. Like, hmm, I dunno, a gym aimed at newbies?

:flowerforyou:

That's pretty much not what those threads say, but eh.....we'll go with it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I just wasn't ready before.

Whoever told you that was lying to you, probably for their own profit.

To counter that notion of "not ready". During gym/trainer shopping early last year I had a couple free sessions with different trainers. A trainer at equinox who had the full run down of my past injuries which I gave to every trainer since having spine surgery is pretty heavy duty and i must disclose, thought I might be able to do a deadlift unweighted after watching me train for 15 minutes. I watched him carefully and worriedly show me how it's done and listened very intently. When it was my turn I stood in starting position MOTIONLESS since i had a mental block where I had trained my muscles over the course of YEARS of debilitating pain NOT to engage those muscles so as to avoid spasms and I couldn't will them to work. In fact attempting to make them work sent my mind into a bad and scary place that I had to turn to the big picture windows so he would not see me tear up. After that little break, I explained what had happened. He stayed silent while I got my mental bearings. He KNEW I would make a 2nd attempt and did not push me nor discourage me. He simply waited. When I informed me I felt ready and HAD to make a 2nd attempt, he did not smirk or cajole or any other thing, he just stood at the ready. OF COURSE I did it. It was a major mental obstacle that unlocked MYRIADS of other activities for me having gotten over the biggest hurdle... the direct and specific use of the muscles in question. I nearly floated out of the gym that day and shudder to think what would have happened if I had done that in a gym that is afraid of the most basic moves. With my past physical injury issues and the confidence and mental hurdles I need to get over I can only say that I cannot afford the $10 a month to attend a gym that will create a "safe" buffer zone for me to never get back to the reality that is my new stronger form. No matter how brightly painted it may be. My heart and mind cannot afford it, neither can my limited time left on this planet. I wasted nearly ten years with back problems, I can't afford another ten seconds with imaginary problems nurtured by a place that wants to nurture the fear in me.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    And what's your justification for them being judgmental *kitten*?

It's their "humorous" marketing hook. They get a ton of brand recognition for it along with their color scheme and their mission statement. And they have every right to position their business how they choose. They can carry any equipment they want. Why should it bother you? I doubt you preen around and shout and drop weights. I don't know any macho cheeseballs who actually DO any of that... it seems like a throwback from 80s movies. (If someone IS actually doing that in a gym, they should be shamed. It's obnoxious. The lifters I know are not like that at all...)

I'm not offended by the equipment they do/don't choose to carry.

I'm offended at being called a lunk.

If I opened a gym and advertised it as a 'fatso free zone' there would be outrage. Even if I only did it as a "humorous marketing hook". It all comes back to the fact that apparently it's ok to mock and deride those that have worked hard for what they have (intelligence, fitness, muscles, etc...) but not ok to mock and deride people who are what they are due to a lack of work or dedication (stupidity, obesity, etc...).
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Imagine a fatso alarm you could push whenever a fat person came in.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

That would be tits
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm not offended by the equipment they do/don't choose to carry.

I'm offended at being called a lunk.

If I opened a gym and advertised it as a 'fatso free zone' there would be outrage. Even if I only did it as a "humorous marketing hook". It all comes back to the fact that apparently it's ok to mock and deride those that have worked hard for what they have (intelligence, fitness, muscles, etc...) but not ok to mock and deride people who are what they are due to a lack of work or dedication (stupidity, obesity, etc...).

It's a pretty interesting "judgement free zone" they've got when they need to sound alarms and post signs mocking people for working out.

But let's face it, they market a gym for people who hate going to the gym. That's why they post signs sneering at gym people instead of motivating them to be a better version of themselves.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    hmm didn't realize they were so bad...I'm glad I use the Y with the rest of the lunks.

I had planned to join the Y with my daughter next month, but my bff bought me a PF membership for Christmas. Y'all are scarin' me!

if you are just going to use the treadmill and dumbbells that I guess that is a good investment...

Basically that. I'm going to make an appointment with the trainer to see if I want him to design a lifting program based on what they have, but if I can use magnetic fractionals there without getting kicked out, I'll probably stick with All Pro and do what I've been doing.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

Damn, I'd have set that off every visit for the first nine months of making a change to my fitness.

Then I'd have started setting off the lunk alarm.

What is a boy to do? :sad:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    My gym has free beer. Every day, all day. It's the Coors Wellness Center. I've actually never had any of it, but then again I also get free Coors at my house so there's not much appeal. (My husband works there).

Now if I found a gym that offered wine I'd be all over that.

Hmmm. Possible business opp??
    Just smuggle your wine into pizza night in your wine bra. google it, it's a real thing. and this planet fitness place is starting to sound like a partay networking opportunity place, cheap investment for a trainer looking for new clients to lure to a "real" gym. Pay ten bucks. Show up on free food nights. Profit.