Planet Fitness removing squat racks? Aroo?

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I have kind of a random work schedule, so I signed up at PF because they're 24 hours. Terrible mistake. With just a few months of consistent lifting I need larger dumbbells than they offer. Unfortunately, their ads that say "no contract" are kind of misleading. If you get the Black Card, you're locked in for a year. So now I'm paying for TWO gyms: one that has the equipment I need, and PF because it's cheaper to just ride out the 1-year commitment at this point than to pay the early termination fee.

There should definitely be a one month trial at PF so this kind of thing doesn't happen. Especially since they cater to a specific target demographic. That sucks to have to pay two memberships.

LOL Honey, what about 3-5 ppl have been desperately trying to tell you is that this should likely be EVERYONE's experience. MOST people who incorporate strenght training for it's obvious benefits will outgrow the weights provided there before the membership expires.
  • ShoshanahM
    ShoshanahM Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Although I think the made-up term "lunk" is ridiculous and the lunk alarm is a bridge too far, the Planet Fitness in my area still has its share of lifters and seems to attract a lot of people who are older or working out for the first time, who are its target market. I have met a lot of sweet ladies in their mid 60s--they need a gym too. It's great for me, cause I want treadmills and bikes when the roads are too icy in the winter and AC for when the summer heat is too much (I'm a wimp, in general). The weights are fine for what I want to do. $10 a month is a steal. When I start making more money, I may join another gym with yoga, Zumba, spin classes, and child care, but for now, this is a good place for me.

I think they should keep the "judgement-free zone" and "you belong" messages, but drop the "lunk" B.S., because if people stick with working out at PF, and get fit, they may, inadvertently, start displaying "lunk" qualities, and need to join a different gym. It seems to send the message that going to the gym is all about the people who surround you, when really, no one cares if you are fit or not, and it's up to you to challenge yourself at your own level.
  • amandajones1978
    Options
    yet another reason to not go to planet fitness ..what a joke….

whats next…no deadlifting..oh wait…you can't do that either..

On this trajectory it's only a matter of time before first the Olympic barbells and then the fixed barbells are gone. Then the dumbbells and benches.

After that they'll start on the cardio machines until there is nothing but ellipticals left (that'll show those smug treadmill runners).

Then they'll get rid of those too and be free to pursue their true business model - monthly pizza club subscription.

maybe that is their master plan ..lure everyone in with pizza and slowly eliminate all the gym equipment….

I'm going to open a pizza joint next door, and put a squat rack in the middle of the dining room.

bahahahahahaha..

I will open a donut shop next store and put a deadlift station in it….

Awesome! Then you can call it Deadlift for Donuts!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    This really should be addressed. No business should be allowed to refuse service against people, especially based on how they look!
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    This really should be addressed. No business should be allowed to refuse service against people, especially based on how they look!

Well, let's step back from that ledge. Look at Abercrombie for example. They take a real cheap shot approach, making a profit by preying on adolescents, because they really need ANOTHER reason to feel awkward and insecure. I think it's awful and soulless and would never patronize their stores, but they have every right to do it. PF isn't breaking any laws, they can do what they want. I just think it's a disservice to their customers, and said so. Planet will keep turning.

ETA: no pun intended, but, imma go ahead and leave it there.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I've said this before, I think it's an absolutely a brilliant business model and they know exactly what they are doing. They are not after people who want a gym experience. They are after people that will pay $10 a month and never show up. It doesn't matter to them. They are not after most people here. It's not really a gym, you guys. It's so obvious. It's a membership to a "gym". So, someone can tell their friends, "I joined a gym", and then never go. The $10/month is so small that no one cancels. And, they have lots of people continuing to pay monthly fees that never show up. It's absolutely brilliant. They don't want you and me there because we use the *kitten* out of the place and put wear and tear on the equipment. You and I are not part of their business model.

It's is brilliant. I wish I thought of it first.

Same point I tried to make....business model as they are a business and can still help some...

And this is all perfectly fine. But they can do it without calling us 'lunks' (still can't quite believe I can consider myself part of a group identified as 'lunks'). While at the same time claiming to be judgement free. I don't care whether it's good or bad business. I'm peeved by the hypocrisy.

And I still say this hypocrisy is entirely intentional as a PR move. PF gets bashed all over the internet because of it...which gets its name in front of its target audience. You think it's an accident that their commercials ridicule and alienate "lunks"? I don't.

No, I don't think it's accidental. I don't think it's done out of wide eyed innocence and ignorance of their hypocrisy. I'm certain that they have a good laugh about it from time to time in marketing meetings.

Doesn't make it ok.

I work in marketing... You'd be amazed at some of the things you'll hear from the very people who are creating the BS campaigns. And, you are correct, we mostly sit and laugh at the crap that we come up with, but 90% of the time that stupid crap gets used. Because people will believe anything.
    ....And it pays my bills :bigsmile:
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I'm not offended by the equipment they do/don't choose to carry.

I'm offended at being called a lunk.

If I opened a gym and advertised it as a 'fatso free zone' there would be outrage. Even if I only did it as a "humorous marketing hook". It all comes back to the fact that apparently it's ok to mock and deride those that have worked hard for what they have (intelligence, fitness, muscles, etc...) but not ok to mock and deride people who are what they are due to a lack of work or dedication (stupidity, obesity, etc...).

OOOH! That's really interesting... You know, I never thought that ALL lifters were "lunks"... I guess I always interpreted it to mean specifically the lifters who postured around and acted like fools were lunks... is it a real word? I am googling now!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

If I opened a gym and advertised it as a 'fatso free zone' there would be outrage. Even if I only did it as a "humorous marketing hook". It all comes back to the fact that apparently it's ok to mock and deride those that have worked hard for what they have (intelligence, fitness, muscles, etc...) but not ok to mock and deride people who are what they are due to a lack of work or dedication (stupidity, obesity, etc...).

OOOH! That's really interesting... You know, I never thought that ALL lifters were "lunks"... I guess I always interpreted it to mean specifically the lifters who postured around and acted like fools were lunks... is it a real word? I am googling now!

They clearly define lunk to mean anyone who is remotely serious about lifting weights.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

Well, let's step back from that ledge. Look at Abercrombie for example. They take a real cheap shot approach, making a profit by preying on adolescents, because they really need ANOTHER reason to feel awkward and insecure. I think it's awful and soulless and would never patronize their stores, but they have every right to do it. PF isn't breaking any laws, they can do what they want. I just think it's a disservice to their customers, and said so. Planet will keep turning.

They do have a right to pick and choose the equipment that goes into their gyms, but I would think there are Laws against discriminating people who look "different" from accessing their gym? That is like turning away a homosexual, or a transexual, or a black individual just because they are "different"
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    And what's your justification for them being judgmental *kitten*?

It's their "humorous" marketing hook. They get a ton of brand recognition for it along with their color scheme and their mission statement. And they have every right to position their business how they choose. They can carry any equipment they want. Why should it bother you? I doubt you preen around and shout and drop weights. I don't know any macho cheeseballs who actually DO any of that... it seems like a throwback from 80s movies. (If someone IS actually doing that in a gym, they should be shamed. It's obnoxious. The lifters I know are not like that at all...)

Gyms can carry whatever equipment they want. If they eliminated treadmills would you complain? But more of their demographic is interested in cardio than lifting. It's business. It's how it works. There is more to making those decisions than ruining life for lifters. There are financial factors like propensity for injury/lawsuits and actual USE of equipment by their consumers that gets taken into account in addition to branding.

^^^Winner, winner, chicken mother effing dinner.

It all comes down to the mentality in this country that people shouldn't be held accountable for their total ignorance. All you're allowed to do is baby them and hope they'll wake the hell up one day.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I've got to say, for someone like me who was completely intimidated by going to the gym at the beginning of my weight loss journey, I was relieved and glad to have a place like Planet Fitness. I didn't feel as self-conscious or uncomfortable while I learned fitness. Now that I'm almost a year into my new lifestyle, I've grown more comfortable in a gym setting and would be confident enough to go to another gym. But I'm still grateful that I had my time at Pf in the beginning. I think if I had not had the experience there that I had, I would probably not be where I am now. Perhaps many people who go there are like me and actually need and appreciate their approach. What is so wrong with starting at PF and then moving on to something more advanced once you're ready?

Also, in my time there, I've never seen a squat rack but have seen and used lots of other amazing equipment including weight machines, all types of free weights, three different kinds of bike machines, treadmills, and ellipticals.

if you have been working out for a year and have never attempted a barbell squat or a deadlift then you are just setting yourself behind the eight ball as these are the moves that are going to provide the most gains and increase overall strength and aid in decreasing body fat..

Wouldn't you have rather spent a year learning all the necessary movements to make a better you? Rather than find out a year in that you now have to re-learn certain moves, and are, essentially, a newbie all over again?

Wow. I never said that. I have done squats, just not on a squat rack. I'd never even heard of such a thing and I have some pretty athletic and in shape friends and relatives. And I haven't done a deadlift because my goal in starting my journey was to start with cardio and ease myself into weight lifting. And I did that, by using the weight machines and getting a friend of mine to show me the correct form on the free weights. So, I did learn the proper form for some things and will continue to learn the proper form on other things as I advance. And I did in it a place where I didn't feel stupid while learning.

I'm not saying that people who are more serious about weight lifting should be satisfied with Planet Fitness. If PF doesn't have what you need for your regime, then by all means, don't waste your money there. But for those of us that Planet Fitness does help, don't make us feel less than because we're at the level that they are offering.

but I"m curious how you felt when you saw the "lunk alarm". did it make you feel secure?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The smoothies are different because they're not free. That's the difference. You have to buy them. Gyms with smoothie bars don't hand you a free smoothie.

Which actually kinda sucks.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

They do have a right to pick and choose the equipment that goes into their gyms, but I would think there are Laws against discriminating people who look "different" from accessing their gym? That is like turning away a homosexual, or a transexual, or a black individual just because they are "different"
    But as far as I know, they don't refuse access/membership to anyone based on how they look. They are just removing things like a squat rack or other reasons "undesirables" would want to sign up in the first place. I didn't see anything about people being turned away.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I honestly don't see any difference to offering these foods than a gym that has say a smoothie bar where the smoothies can have as many calories (maybe even more) than a slice of pizza.

If I could find a gym that had slices of pizza that contained the same nutrients as the type of smoothie you're talking about, I'd join immediately.

/in4 50g protein/30g carb pizza

That's actually pretty easy to achieve if you make the pizza yourself, but then it wouldn't be free. :ohwell:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Straight from the dictionary.

lunk·head [luhngk-hed] Show IPA

noun Slang.
    a dull or stupid person; blockhead.

Also called lunk [luhngk] Show IPA .

World English Dictionary

lunk (lʌŋk)

— n
    an awkward, heavy, or stupid person
  • sir_randall
    sir_randall Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is why I went out and bought my own squat rack. Plus, there are never any jerks curling in my squat rack.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

You believe that legislation will make the world a nicer place? Lol!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Planet-Fitness-PFX-10.jpg

Is it just me or does this look like one of the rooms in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory?

Actually it looks more the floor of a cult's gym to me...

it reminds me of the gym from dodgeball ..globogym or whatever? LOL

:laugh:

It does!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

I remember once in my 20's in fact on my 21st birthday I ended up on the news. It was because a popular LA nightclub was on blast for discriminating against "ugly" people and the news happened to be at the same place my limo driver took me and 5 friends when we asked the driver to take us to "the latest IN spot". IT was a doozy of a club and a loooooooooooooong line, but when I suddenly had to pee, i walked all the way up to the bodyguard and asked if I could hop in and out real quick. He asked if I was out clubbing "alone"? "No, silly it's my birthday, and those are my friends!" Pan back to my 4 or 5 slutty buddies wavign furiously and happily at him. He told me to go get my friends and bring them to the large metal door halfway between us and them. I complied and someone opened the door and let us all in free with no ID'ing and cutting in front of the rest of the line. When the story aired the following morning my big happy smug mug was the poster girl for "ugly" discrimination. I don't know if things have changed since that time long ago, but it was at least newsworthy back then. I think lunk shaming is bad too. If you ask me. Which no one did. And yet I have an opinion. AND ten bucks a month to spend. Go figure.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Straight from the dictionary.

lunk·head [luhngk-hed] Show IPA

noun Slang.
    a dull or stupid person; blockhead.

Also called lunk [luhngk] Show IPA .

World English Dictionary

lunk (lʌŋk)

— n
    an awkward, heavy, or stupid person

Oh, so it does not mean a gym buffed person after all, but is a clear and direct insult against someone's intelligence. The very people who are intelligent enough to get their physique to the place that the other people spinning their wheels aspire to? I see.