Planet Fitness removing squat racks? Aroo?

Options

Replies

• WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    This really should be addressed. No business should be allowed to refuse service against people, especially based on how they look!

Well, let's step back from that ledge. Look at Abercrombie for example. They take a real cheap shot approach, making a profit by preying on adolescents, because they really need ANOTHER reason to feel awkward and insecure. I think it's awful and soulless and would never patronize their stores, but they have every right to do it. PF isn't breaking any laws, they can do what they want. I just think it's a disservice to their customers, and said so. Planet will keep turning.

ETA: no pun intended, but, imma go ahead and leave it there.

They do have a right to pick and choose the equipment that goes into their gyms, but I would think there are Laws against discriminating people who look "different" from accessing their gym? That is like turning away a homosexual, or a transexual, or a black individual just because they are "different"

"Target Market: A target market is defined as a specific group of potential buyers for which a business positions its products and services." In this case, PF's target market is people who are put off/"gymtimidated" by "Lunks".
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I just wasn't ready before.

Whoever told you that was lying to you, probably for their own profit.

To counter that notion of "not ready". During gym/trainer shopping early last year I had a couple free sessions with different trainers. A trainer at equinox who had the full run down of my past injuries which I gave to every trainer since having spine surgery is pretty heavy duty and i must disclose, thought I might be able to do a deadlift unweighted after watching me train for 15 minutes. I watched him carefully and worriedly show me how it's done and listened very intently. When it was my turn I stood in starting position MOTIONLESS since i had a mental block where I had trained my muscles over the course of YEARS of debilitating pain NOT to engage those muscles so as to avoid spasms and I couldn't will them to work. In fact attempting to make them work sent my mind into a bad and scary place that I had to turn to the big picture windows so he would not see me tear up. After that little break, I explained what had happened. He stayed silent while I got my mental bearings. He KNEW I would make a 2nd attempt and did not push me nor discourage me. He simply waited. When I informed me I felt ready and HAD to make a 2nd attempt, he did not smirk or cajole or any other thing, he just stood at the ready. OF COURSE I did it. It was a major mental obstacle that unlocked MYRIADS of other activities for me having gotten over the biggest hurdle... the direct and specific use of the muscles in question. I nearly floated out of the gym that day and shudder to think what would have happened if I had done that in a gym that is afraid of the most basic moves. With my past physical injury issues and the confidence and mental hurdles I need to get over I can only say that I cannot afford the $10 a month to attend a gym that will create a "safe" buffer zone for me to never get back to the reality that is my new stronger form. No matter how brightly painted it may be. My heart and mind cannot afford it, neither can my limited time left on this planet. I wasted nearly ten years with back problems, I can't afford another ten seconds with imaginary problems nurtured by a place that wants to nurture the fear in me.

Blown away.:love:

THIS was my whole point. I think their policies do nurture the fear in people and it makes me sad to think anyone would miss the opportunity to have their version of that game-changing moment. But there's an inverse reaction to trying to make people understand that. The more stuff like this gets discussed, the more people dig in their heels.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    This really should be addressed. No business should be allowed to refuse service against people, especially based on how they look!

Well, let's step back from that ledge. Look at Abercrombie for example. They take a real cheap shot approach, making a profit by preying on adolescents, because they really need ANOTHER reason to feel awkward and insecure. I think it's awful and soulless and would never patronize their stores, but they have every right to do it. PF isn't breaking any laws, they can do what they want. I just think it's a disservice to their customers, and said so. Planet will keep turning.

They do have a right to pick and choose the equipment that goes into their gyms, but I would think there are Laws against discriminating people who look "different" from accessing their gym? That is like turning away a homosexual, or a transexual, or a black individual just because they are "different"

"Target Market: A target market is defined as a specific group of potential buyers for which a business positions its products and services." In this case, PF's target market is people who are put off/"gymtimidated" by "Lunks".

Which is fine. But does this mean it would be ok to market a business with the target market of people who are put off/sickened by obese people?

Or would it be all over the news calling for them to be boycotted and/or shut down?

Again, I have no issue with the equipment they choose, or their 'target market'. I have an issue with being characterized as a lunk for making an effort, and lifting weights which sometimes cannot be placed gently back to the ground like a feather pillow.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I think the opposite is true. You are taking away the power of consumers with this mentality.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Is it true they have pizza parties and bagels there? Being new to this (no, I'm not a resolutioner, I started in October and still at it :) ), I can't even imaging being tempted to eat junk at the place where I go to for healthy living.

Pizza and bagels are not junk! Don't be absurd!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'm not offended by the equipment they do/don't choose to carry.

I'm offended at being called a lunk.

If I opened a gym and advertised it as a 'fatso free zone' there would be outrage. Even if I only did it as a "humorous marketing hook". It all comes back to the fact that apparently it's ok to mock and deride those that have worked hard for what they have (intelligence, fitness, muscles, etc...) but not ok to mock and deride people who are what they are due to a lack of work or dedication (stupidity, obesity, etc...).

OOOH! That's really interesting... You know, I never thought that ALL lifters were "lunks"... I guess I always interpreted it to mean specifically the lifters who postured around and acted like fools were lunks... is it a real word? I am googling now!

Straight from the dictionary.

lunk·head [luhngk-hed] Show IPA

noun Slang.
    a dull or stupid person; blockhead.

Also called lunk [luhngk] Show IPA .

World English Dictionary

lunk (lʌŋk)

— n
    an awkward, heavy, or stupid person

Oh, so it does not mean a gym buffed person after all, but is a clear and direct insult against someone's intelligence. The very people who are intelligent enough to get their physique to the place that the other people spinning their wheels aspire to? I see.

Yep, so when they say "what a lunk", it means "what an (insert adj for dumb person here)"
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    lunk-alarm-640x250.jpg

GOD FORBID I drink out of my gallon jug! OMG.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Which is fine. But does this mean it would be ok to market a business with the target market of people who are put off/sickened by obese people?

Or would it be all over the news calling for them to be boycotted and/or shut down?

Again, I have no issue with the equipment they choose, or their 'target market'. I have an issue with being characterized as a lunk for making an effort, and lifting weights which sometimes cannot be placed gently back to the ground like a feather pillow.

A&F did it. I haven't checked to see if that worked out favorably for them, but they did do it. I didn't expect anyone to shut them down, although I do understand people boycotting them, based on personal beliefs. That's their right to do so.

I think anyone silly enough to define all bodybuilder/fit types, based on what a business says they are, would be pretty much not in my list of friends, anyway. So, why let it bother you? I lift weights and WANT to look like the "lunk chicks" on the PF commercials. I also recognize the irony in the fact that they're basically saying "[no fit people]" exist here, which is hilarious, in and of itself. It tells me that if I want to get in shape, PF ain't the place. :laugh:
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    hmm didn't realize they were so bad...I'm glad I use the Y with the rest of the lunks.

+1
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Is it true they have pizza parties and bagels there? Being new to this (no, I'm not a resolutioner, I started in October and still at it :) ), I can't even imaging being tempted to eat junk at the place where I go to for healthy living.

Pizza and bagels are not junk! Don't be absurd!

There was a nice brick oven mom and pop pizza shop in my town that PF got pizza from and that's how I found them (Pizza shop)

They of course went out of business because people in my town won't pay extra for quality food when they can get crap/junk pizza from Dominoes.

My PF now gets dominoes, they still have some left at 9:00pm when I feel it's safe to go in on that night. Before then people come out of the woodwork to get free pizza. Generally I don't go into the gym on Pizza monday, not because I fear pizza but because I don't want to be tripping all over everyone who won't be there the rest of the month.
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    lunk-alarm-640x250.jpg

This is all the fault of the muscle shirt!
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    lunk-alarm-640x250.jpg

This is all the fault of the muscle shirt!

Yeah, and next thing you know, that lunk will be complaining about all the chicks staring at his muscles in that shirt, too! :laugh: how dare he wear a comfortable shirt that will show off his hard work!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    lunk-alarm-640x250.jpg

GOD FORBID I drink out of my gallon jug! OMG.

I interpret this as they don't want anyone strong enough to curl a full gallon jug intimidating other members...

...who might be curling 3# dumbbells.

Totally unrelated question:
    On "pizza day", do they make sure all of the pizzas are cut into really small pieces so no one has to struggle to pick it up?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    This is why I went out and bought my own squat rack. Plus, there are never any jerks curling in my squat rack.

I did this too...many many years ago...

...except that there occasionally is one jerk in it.

Also, that same jerk tends to leave the barbell loaded after a workout too which requires me to unload it before the next workout. I complained to the gym owner, but it was apparently the gym owner who was being a jerk.

#GymInMyBasementProblems
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    we're at the level that they are offering.

That doesn't really mean anything, honestly. There's no "level" you need to be at to do squats and deadlifts. I'm not sure what weight training you're doing at PF, but they clearly fail to offer the most effective tools out there for people in your situation.

There are levels. And the first one is "beginner". At least that's how it was for me. I didn't stay at the beginner level. I've progressed beyond that and I plan to progress beyond the level I am now to more advanced things. And working my way up slowing and adding different activities as I go is how I build discipline. It would mean nothing for me to start at a more advanced level, get frustrated with myself, and then quit. Which I have done in the past. But, when I started off slowly at a beginner's level, I gained confidence, strength, and discipline. And, when I outgrew the beginner's level activities, it made me want to push myself to more. That's all I'm saying. Joining PF helped me do that. I NEEDED that to get myself where I am to day and to help motivate me to more in the future. I will probably outgrow PF soon. And when I do, I'll move on to something else. And that's fine too. As a matter of fact, that was always my goal. The fact that I can say that I am outgrowing PF is a HUGE accomplishment for me when two years ago, a twenty minute walk was painful for me.

I dont understand this either..if you start with a 100# deadlift that is not advanced….

Figuring out a convenient way to get that 100# deadlift at proper height (using iron plates) can be an advanced problem though.
    Olympic bar, 25 lb. bumper plate and 2.5 lb. plate on each side. Done! I'm so glad my husband had procured a set of bumper plates prior to me needing to do lighter deadlifts but not needing to do them from a deficit. And then there's always rack pulls... my favorite! :love:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    I used to belong to PF (I'm a New Englander) and it was great for what I needed... a place I didn't feel intimidated to go to that was cheap and convenient and local. It's also the ONLY gym in my town, currently. I live in a rural farm community.

They are meant for beginners, not serious lifters. That's their niche, that's their market. That is how they can afford $10 memberships. And honestly, you don't NEED a squat rack in the same way you don't NEED a treadmill. You do not need a single piece of gym equipment to be fit, it can be done in a million other ways. So if you need a squat rack, get one at home or go to another gym. Sheesh.
    The problem with your second paragraph you've pointed out in your first. You live in a more remote area where Planet Fearness is the only game in town. Not only will new exercisers never be exposed to the activities that will allow them to continue progressing, helping them extend their comfort zone just through seeing it, the ones that already want to or are progressing toward wanting to use such equipment are SOL, baby. Maybe it's different in your rural farm community, but the ones I grew up in, people weren't rich, so they couldn't afford to just buy their own equipment so that the local gym could continue holding everyone back.

I am very glad I have access to world-class facilities in several convenient places where I live, and a pretty sweet setup at home, so this doesn't affect me directly. But it does make me sad that their business model and marketing hook are directly filling insecure and vulnerable people's heads with hogwash that is going to limit them from achieving their full potential because of this "judgment-free" judgmental atmosphere.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    I just wasn't ready before.

Whoever told you that was lying to you, probably for their own profit.

To counter that notion of "not ready". During gym/trainer shopping early last year I had a couple free sessions with different trainers. A trainer at equinox who had the full run down of my past injuries which I gave to every trainer since having spine surgery is pretty heavy duty and i must disclose, thought I might be able to do a deadlift unweighted after watching me train for 15 minutes. I watched him carefully and worriedly show me how it's done and listened very intently. When it was my turn I stood in starting position MOTIONLESS since i had a mental block where I had trained my muscles over the course of YEARS of debilitating pain NOT to engage those muscles so as to avoid spasms and I couldn't will them to work. In fact attempting to make them work sent my mind into a bad and scary place that I had to turn to the big picture windows so he would not see me tear up. After that little break, I explained what had happened. He stayed silent while I got my mental bearings. He KNEW I would make a 2nd attempt and did not push me nor discourage me. He simply waited. When I informed me I felt ready and HAD to make a 2nd attempt, he did not smirk or cajole or any other thing, he just stood at the ready. OF COURSE I did it. It was a major mental obstacle that unlocked MYRIADS of other activities for me having gotten over the biggest hurdle... the direct and specific use of the muscles in question. I nearly floated out of the gym that day and shudder to think what would have happened if I had done that in a gym that is afraid of the most basic moves. With my past physical injury issues and the confidence and mental hurdles I need to get over I can only say that I cannot afford the $10 a month to attend a gym that will create a "safe" buffer zone for me to never get back to the reality that is my new stronger form. No matter how brightly painted it may be. My heart and mind cannot afford it, neither can my limited time left on this planet. I wasted nearly ten years with back problems, I can't afford another ten seconds with imaginary problems nurtured by a place that wants to nurture the fear in me.
    You're just... you're just one of my favorite people. Here, or anywhere, really.
  • sir_randall
    sir_randall Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is why I went out and bought my own squat rack. Plus, there are never any jerks curling in my squat rack.

I did this too...many many years ago...

...except that there occasionally is one jerk in it.

Also, that same jerk tends to leave the barbell loaded after a workout too which requires me to unload it before the next workout. I complained to the gym owner, but it was apparently the gym owner who was being a jerk.

#GymInMyBasementProblems

I occasionally have the same issues too.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    So, are you saying I can pick up a purple squat rack on the cheap?

This is the first thought that came into my head.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    we're at the level that they are offering.

That doesn't really mean anything, honestly. There's no "level" you need to be at to do squats and deadlifts. I'm not sure what weight training you're doing at PF, but they clearly fail to offer the most effective tools out there for people in your situation.

There are levels. And the first one is "beginner". At least that's how it was for me. I didn't stay at the beginner level. I've progressed beyond that and I plan to progress beyond the level I am now to more advanced things. And working my way up slowing and adding different activities as I go is how I build discipline. It would mean nothing for me to start at a more advanced level, get frustrated with myself, and then quit. Which I have done in the past. But, when I started off slowly at a beginner's level, I gained confidence, strength, and discipline. And, when I outgrew the beginner's level activities, it made me want to push myself to more. That's all I'm saying. Joining PF helped me do that. I NEEDED that to get myself where I am to day and to help motivate me to more in the future. I will probably outgrow PF soon. And when I do, I'll move on to something else. And that's fine too. As a matter of fact, that was always my goal. The fact that I can say that I am outgrowing PF is a HUGE accomplishment for me when two years ago, a twenty minute walk was painful for me.

I dont understand this either..if you start with a 100# deadlift that is not advanced….

Figuring out a convenient way to get that 100# deadlift at proper height (using iron plates) can be an advanced problem though.
    Olympic bar, 25 lb. bumper plate and 2.5 lb. plate on each side. Done! I'm so glad my husband had procured a set of bumper plates prior to me needing to do lighter deadlifts but not needing to do them from a deficit. And then there's always rack pulls... my favorite! :love:

I've been thinking about a bumper plate purchase for a while now...(probably after I buy horse stall mats for the floor). Think I'm going with these: http://www.roguefitness.com/new-hg-rogue-bumpers.php

But yeah, you have the ideal solution there.