Weight loss to Muscle Gain now Cutting

Options
Hi fellow fitneesbuddies,

I am new to posting even though I have been using myfitnessbuddy for quite some time now.

I started out weighing in at close to 300 pounds. I started using myfitnessbuddy and went hard at the gym for 1 year straight doing a lot of cardio and sculpting.

After getting to my goal weight I stated to attempt to build muscle and start strength training. IT was very hard since I went from being heavy to loosing weight and then start trying to consume more calories and protein since it is needed for muscle gain. So I have been strength training for just a little over a year now and am now to the point where I want to "Cut" out more body fat which being on a restricted calorie intact is a must. I have no intention on competing in any shows I am doing this strictly for me.

I love using myfitnessbuddy and even more now that I have found a forum to chat with people that are going through what I went through or what I am doing in my everyday life now.

I now weigh 172 and my body fat is not exact but close to 15%. I would like to get under 10% body fat.

Anyone that is in the same boat as me, please keep add me to your buddy list so we can swap ideas, motivation and support.

Thanks. :)
Rob

Replies

• marroyo777
    Options
    Hey bro! Great job on the weight loss and muscle building. You look phenomenal! Did you come across plateaus in your journey? If so, how did you overcome?
  • robnkellysmurf
    Options
    Thanks. I hit certain plateaus but I was determined and what I realized was that when you put your mind to something that you really really want, you can pretty much accomplish anything. Now hitting plateaus with muscle building is really frustrating so I put on some muscle so now time to cut a little. Muscle building is really hard and ecspecially going from being heavy to weight loss and now trying to consume more calories was the really hard part. My body can handle a lot but my lifestyle change was eating healthy for the rest of my life and enjoying it. So attempting to double even triple the calories not matter how healthy I was eating is super hard. How is your regime going? What is your main goal or focus now?
  • newidentity316
    newidentity316 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Amazing job on losing! Very inspirational. About a year and a half ago I got down to a good weight and was feeling good. I found a new passion in lifting and started "Bulking". Sixty pounds later here I am fat again. HAHA. I'm sure that's not how bulking should work but I just could not stop. Anyways, I know I put on some muscle but lots of fat with it.

I am now on a mission to drop the fat and minimize the loss of the hard earned muscle I've gained. I'm excited to see the progress once I drop this fat!
  • robnkellysmurf
    Options
    Yes the dreaded bulking phase. Clean bulking or dirty bulking both are very hard on your body after such a dramatic lifestyle change. Retain muscle and losing weight very hard but your can do it. Just make sure you consume less calories and incorporate protein into your diet. 1/2 a gram of protein per pound of body weight to retain muscle and loose fat. I noticed your doing HIIT workouts. Keep up the good work and you will accomplish your goal in no time at all. I picked up mountain biking and I love it. Great form of cardio and you can consider it your "leg day" if you put in hard work with climbing and downhill.
  • newidentity316
    newidentity316 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I like HIIT a lot. I'm a lot better at high intensity things like HIIT and weight lifting. Not so much a long distance, 3 hour run type stuff. Maybe when I'm a little lighter. Who knows. Mountain biking sounds fun. I have some good mountains not far from me. Maybe I'll give it a go.