Chicken thighs

Options

Replies

• jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    a george foreman grill might broaden your possibilities.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Bumping... for new recipes... I buy these all the time.

The only thing I really do with them is bake them with seasoning or throw them in the crockpot with a jar of either salsa verde or regular salsa and black beans for a shredded chicken type thing.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Any suggestion for recipes for chicken thighs ? I normally bake them when a honey and spicy mustard mix and serve with veggies but I would love other ideas.. I have searched the internet and cook books and for some reason nothing seems to be interesting enough. Getting back on the wagon to better health

bumping for the recipes
  • dpwdash
    dpwdash Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Baked Chicken and Spinach Flautas
    Ingredients
    •1 pound boneless, skinless Chicken Thighs (about 4)
    •16 ounces Beer (or chicken broth)
    •1 cup Mojo Marinade
    •1 teaspoon Paprika
    •1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
    •1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
    •1 teaspoon ground Cumin
    •1 teaspoon Chili Powder
    •1 Jalapeno Pepper, minced
    •3 cups Baby Spinach, chopped
    •5 burrito-size Flour Tortillas (9 inches)
    •6 ounces Queso Quesadilla or other melting cheese, shredded
    •1 teaspoon Olive Oil, or cooking spray
    •Salsa, for serving
    Preparation
    1.Preheat the oven to 450*F.
    2.Put the chicken thighs in a deep sided saute pan and cover with the beer and marinade. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the chicken from the liquid and shred it. Mix together the chicken and seasonings.
    3.Pour out all but ¼ cup of the cooking liquid. Add the jalapeno and spinach and cook over low heat until for 2-3 minutes, or until the spinach is wilted.
    4.Cut the tortillas in half. Spoon 1/10th of the chicken (about 1 tablespoon) along the long edge of a tortilla. Repeat with the spinach and cheese. Roll the tortilla up, starting with the straight edge. Place seam-side down on an oiled baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
    5.Brush the flautas with olive oil or spray with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes, then turn them over and bake for until 10 minutes, or until crispy. Serve with salsa.
    Nutrition Information
    Calories: 181 Fat: 9 Carbohydrates: 6.3 Fiber: 1.2 Protein: 18.5
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Easiest recipe in the world

1 cup of soy sauce
    1 cup of vinegar
    1 tablespoon of garlic

Toss all in to a pot and boil till chicken is cooked.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Chicken thighs are one of my favorites because they are so easy in the crock pot. I just dissolve two bullion cubes in a bit of water. Throw in chicken thighs with some grill mates seasoning. Add a 1/2 green pepper and 1/2 red pepper for some flavor and cook all day. An hour or so before dinner I add mushrooms to the crock pot as well. I make a steamfresh bag of broccoli and another of brown rice and serve it all mixed together. Definitely a go-to meal at my house.

For a completely different flavor using this same recipe dump a can of cubed pineapple and two cans of coconut milk in the crock pot, amazingly refreshing and flavorful.
  • SundayGirl1989
    Options
    In for ideas.
    I've always shunned buying thighs and i don't really know why as they seem to be considerably cheaper than chicken breasts.
    Do they taste the same? I tried turkey thigh once and it was a horrible texture =/
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    If they are boneless, I found a recipe a few months ago in a hungery girl book that is fairly low in calories.
    You cut the chicken open on one side and make a pocket in the chicken with the surrounding sides still attached. Inside you put a tablespoon refried low fat beans and a wedge of swiss laughing cow cheese low fat of course. Once the chicken is stuffed you dip it in egg and bread it will crushed kelloggs corn flakes. Bake uncovered at 350 until done approx 45 minutes.
  • bserwack
    bserwack Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like honey garlic chicken in the crock pot (from the awesome website, The Girl Who Ate Everything):

1T oil
    1-1 /12 lb skinless, boneless chicken thighs
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 C low sodium soy sauce
    1/2 C ketchup
    1/2 C honey
    (optional) fresh basil for garnish

Instructions

1.Place the chicken in the bottom of a 4-quart slow cooker. In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, soy sauce, ketchup and honey. Pour over the chicken and cover.

2.Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours. Be sure to check the chicken periodically. My chicken was done after 5 hours on low. Remove chicken, place on a plate and tent with foil to keep warm. Transfer the remaining sauce to a saucepan and reduce down over medium heat until desired consistency is reached. I mixed a teaspoon of cornstarch with a tablespoon of water and added it to the sauce and continued to stir and cook on medium heat until it thickened up a bit. **I was in hurry so I didn't bother thickening the sauce. I just took the chicken out, put it on some rice and poured some of the sauce on top...YUM

3.Serve a little sauce over the chicken and garnish with fresh basil.
    4.Serve chicken over rice with some broccoli or green beans on the side.

Read more at http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2012/01/honey-garlic-chicken.html#dIWuJqCLcGOy1myU.99
  • mkghbrad
    Options
    Balsamic Chicken Thighs in Crock Pot

This sounds amazing - I'll definitely be trying it this weekend. thanks.
  • jolancy
    jolancy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I make the Hairy Dieters Spanish-Style chicken bake a lot, it tastes great and only 370 cals a portion :-) Recipe is at http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/535184/hairy-biker-s-spanish-style-chicken-bake
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    pound it out and roll it up with feta, sundried tomatoes (dried, and then rehydrated with water), garlic, red onion, spinach. Bake. Yum!!!!
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Bump for later...love me some recipes.
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat chicken thighs...too much fat on them.

I prefer legs, wings, breasts meat.
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Bump !
  • Xenophonica
    Xenophonica Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm simple. Place in crock pot, add bbq sauce, cook on low for 6-8 hours. I use boneless, but it falls off the bone if you don't anyway :p
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I make this recipe a lot and use boneless thighs, regular thighs, bonesless breast, legs......really whatever I have.

The recipe is from Skinnytaste.com http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/07/asian-glazed-drumsticks.html

Asian Glazed Drumsticks
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 2 drumsticks • Old Points: 5 pts • Points+: 5 pts
    Calories: 213 • Fat: 4.7 g • Protein: 27.5 g • Carb: 12.7 g • Fiber: 0.4 g

Ingredients:

8 medium chicken drumsticks, skin removed
    olive oil spray (I used my Misto)
    1 cup water
    1 tbsp Sriracha hot sauce (more or less to taste)
    1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
    1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
    1 tbsp honey (or sugar)
    3 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 tsp ginger, grated
    2 tbsp chives or scallions, chopped
    1 tsp sesame seeds

Directions:

In a heavy large saucepan, brown chicken on high for 3-4 minutes with a little spray oil. Add water, balsamic, soy sauce, honey, garlic, ginger, hot sauce and cook on high until liquid comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for about 20 minutes. Remove cover and bring heat to high, allowing sauce to reduce down, about 8-10 minutes, until it becomes thick, turning chicken occasionally. (Keep an eye on glaze, you don't want it to burn when it start becoming thick) Transfer chicken to a platter and pour sauce on top. Top with chives and sesame seeds and serve
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I use chicken thighs to make curries. I also marinade them in a mixture of yogurt and tandoori spices then either grill on a bbq or broil in the oven. When I do the grill/broil method I use the cold leftovers in salads and wraps.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    These all sound GREAT! Thank you all so much. Now to pick one. UGH! I hate making decisions. lol
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Ok..I'm thinking I may go the Asian route with the thighs and serve it over sauteed broccoli slaw. Now to figure out a side dish that would work well with it. Suggestions?