Is it okay to have an AM and PM workout?

Options
I am a stay at home mom and I do not have much time during the day to devote to myself. I can get a morning workout on my elliptical machine but I can't finish it up with weight training. I know the best way to get results is to do both, cardio + weights, but I can only do one in the AM and the other in the PM. Would I see less results doing them separate?

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    No not at all. Training periods in the short term are cumulative, and you will reap the benefits either way.

You might actually do better, since you can focus on one or the other at a time, and approach each nice and fresh.
  • asparks85
    asparks85 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks for the reply!
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    No not at all. Training periods in the short term are cumulative, and you will reap the benefits either way.

You might actually do better, since you can focus on one or the other at a time, and approach each nice and fresh.

Agree. Should be no issues doing cardio in the morning and strength training in the afternoon. Days you miss a session you could do the one you missed the next morning (miss evening strength training = next morning is strength training and evening is cardio).
  • asparks85
    Options
    Thanks rllewell!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i actually do a 4am,,, then 9 then 2, i love it!
    works for me!
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fitness expert but I do this frequently and I don't seem to have any issues. I did cardio this morning and going back for yoga tonight. ;)
  • Shreddingitnow
    Options
    Do circuit training get both in quick,.,
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I lift 3x weekly full body...note, you should not be training the same muscles every day...they need rest. But anyway, I almost always go out at lunch on my bike for 45 minutes to an hour...eat lunch and take care of the rest of the work day and then off to the gym to lift in the evening. It's no biggie provided you are giving your body enough rest and recovery...rest and recovery is where the magic happens with your lifting.
  • FrnkLft
    Options

Agree. Should be no issues doing cardio in the morning and strength training in the afternoon. Days you miss a session you could do the one you missed the next morning (miss evening strength training = next morning is strength training and evening is cardio).

And to be clear, (rllewell correct me if I misunderstood what you said), the point is that you can do as you please with that split. If you miss a weight training session, you can just skip it and continue to cardio as well. Not the end of the world.
  • Autumngolds
    Autumngolds Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It's actually really good for burning a few extra calories, boosts your metabolism a bit each time. :) Also (for me at least) makes me less tired than doing one long workout.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I hope so as i'm currently doing 8 sessions a week with monday off!

seriously though as long as you don't feel too tired form the morning cardio to lift properly and run the risk of injury it is not a problem in the slightest!
  • asparks85
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you responses :) So far I get a workout in everyday when I wake-up on my elliptical. I want to start using weights three days a week and doing DDP yoga the other three. Too much? Or do I need to get a rhythm going before I add in the DDP?
  • Autumngolds
    Autumngolds Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think the best you can do is try. :)
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Yeah just give it a shot and see how it makes you feel. Remember the point of working out isn't pain, it's getting better and better. If you feel like some element of your training is running you into the ground, re-evaluate.

Also, with all that exercise, eat back your calories (read: you need the fuel), and just rely on your regular daily deficit to help you loose.

Now, cardio is cardio (for the most part), but what are you doing for your lifting? Are you running a program or just figuring something out?
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options

And to be clear, (rllewell correct me if I misunderstood what you said), the point is that you can do as you please with that split. If you miss a weight training session, you can just skip it and continue to cardio as well. Not the end of the world.

Sure you could skip it, giving your body a 48 hour weightlifting break or you could do as I stated.
    Cardio + Weights day 1
    Cardio + Ooops something came up (skip) day 2
    Weights + Cardio day 3
  • alpacino9
    Options
    I'm doing that now to kick start my bodyfat lose. It does take a while for the feet to get used to it.

Morning

HIIT Treadmill - 30-40 mins

Evening

Weights
    HIIT Treadmill - 30-40mins