Jillian Michaels : 30 day shred experiences?

Options
So I've been doing the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I'm just curious of other peoples experiences and before and after pictures.

I'm a girl, 21, 5'3".
Starting weight: 140
Goal weight: 120
Current weight: 136.4

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience!

Replies

• ElizaB84
    ElizaB84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I just started on Sunday so im still on level 1. Like it so far! Would also like to hear from people that have completed it and how their results turned out.
  • lizj0nes21
    Options
    I just started on Sunday so im still on level 1. Like it so far! Would also like to hear from people that have completed it and how their results turned out.

I'm still on level 1 also lol
  • MissG87J
    Options
    Hi there I also own the dvd. I love Jillian Michaels and she definitely combined those exercises well for ultimate effectiveness within 20min. To be honest I only did it for about a week and got bored. I truly believe we should do something that we enjoy and that we will continue doing. For example I love dancing and doing step aerobics as well as kickboxing. I attend the classes at gym and in my spare time I go practice the step choreography in the studio at gym. I know for a fact I won't be able to do that for 30days straight - well if I force myself yes but doing the same thing over and over again won't really motivate me. Level 2 & 3 really tough and should definitely give you results if you stick to it and obviously watch your calorie intake. You will find some before&after pics online if you google.

Good luck and let us know about your progress :)
  • MissGamerGirl
    MissGamerGirl Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have done the full 30 days, along with doing C25k three times a week, and lost 21 lbs. I also tracked my food through Weight Watchers. I started at 5'6 weighing 151 lbs, which is not overweight for my height.

What I will say is that right now I am doing her No More Trouble Zones DVD and I love it far more than 30DS. 30DS was cardio intensive, and NMTZ is pure strength training and kicks my *kitten* more than 30DS did. The only cardio in NMTZ is during the 5 minute warm-up. I feel the burn in my muscles and the soreness the next day. I feel like this will make me stronger than 30DS ever did. I don't need more cardio since I run, you know?
  • lizj0nes21
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    that was the 1st program i did ( 5.2ft) and i was 142 lbs. i didn't lose any weight really with it but i did lose inches! I have done it about 3 times and each time got the same results from it.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I am on day 5 today. I did it last night and it was fine as it certainly gets easier as the days go by. I'm scared to move to level 2 but considering I could barely finish level 1 when I first started I'm sure my body will adjust to that intensity. Although it does make me less keen to do my cross trainer.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Got more results joining a gym and doing weight lifting.

It's a nice little program, but finding something that is a bit more long term helps achieve goals better.
  • lizj0nes21
    Options
    I am on day 5 today. I did it last night and it was fine as it certainly gets easier as the days go by. I'm scared to move to level 2 but considering I could barely finish level 1 when I first started I'm sure my body will adjust to that intensity. Although it does make me less keen to do my cross trainer.

That's exactly how I am! Since I've been doing the video I have no motivation to use my elliptical. I think it's because I can feel 110x more effect on my body (sore muscles each day and everything) than I did with an hour on my elliptical.
  • lizj0nes21
    Options
    that was the 1st program i did ( 5.2ft) and i was 142 lbs. i didn't lose any weight really with it but i did lose inches! I have done it about 3 times and each time got the same results from it.
    I'm 5'3" and I started at 140lbs, in my first week of working out and keeping track of my calories and eating less junk I lost 3.4 lbs :)
    How many inches did you lose each time?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I lost a total of about 8lbs and 13 inches doing it 2x...

First time around I did modified exercises...until about the last day...

Day 11...Day 1 of 2nd phase....I cried...no joke.

My sister almost puked.

It's not easy but well worth the effort.

2nd time around I ended up doing all non modified.

I have since moved to weights but my sister continues with JM dvds such as extreme shred, ripped in 30 etc. She looks fab. You can even see her "venus belt"...
    Got more results joining a gym and doing weight lifting.

It's a nice little program, but finding something that is a bit more long term helps achieve goals better.

haha I am lifting heavy and I still think JM does a good job if you like it and will do it.

but remember fat is lost through a calorie deficet...JM just gives you more calories to eat if you are at a deficet and/or if you are maintenance creates a small deficet.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I've read where many people say that 30DS is not strength training, it's cardio. I'm on Level 2 day 3, and I have to say I agree. My heart rate is up during the entire 20 minutes. However, having almost never done any kind of strength training and starting out the program not being able to do one single solitary "real" pushup, I have to say it's a really good beginning point. The stronger I get, the more I'm thinking I might want to try out a more rigorous strength plan once I'm through all three levels. And the heavy lifting advocates must like it when cardio rats like me (I love running!) start to feel the lifting love, right?

PS sorry I don't have any photos to share. I did get through all the plank jacks this morning pretty well, granted my *kitten* was about 6 feet in the air...but I'm making progress and seeing new muscles.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and I started at 140lbs, in my first week of working out and keeping track of my calories and eating less junk I lost 3.4 lbs :)
    How many inches did you lose each time?

gosh i don't remember exactly but it was something like a half a inch off thighs and chest, inch off hips, waist, my stats when i started were 36,29, 40 and about 36 for lower belly. after doing it 3 times in a year ( also did ripped in 30 once in there too) i was down to 33,26,36.5 and lower belly was around 32. this past year i have done other programs and got my measurements lower and hit my goal weight. Now i'm just trying to lose a bit more body fat that i gained in the last few months.. sigh...lol last time i measured i was 32,25,35 and i don't think they will go any further.. that is where i am ment to be max.... sure woudl love to have smaller hips like i used to but nope, it's not going there now a days! ;lol
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    So I've been doing the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I'm just curious of other peoples experiences and before and after pictures.

I'm a girl, 21, 5'3".
    Starting weight: 140
    Goal weight: 120
    Current weight: 136.4

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience!

I'm 32, five foot 2 inches, and currently 135 pounds. I did the shred for a while, and while I did not "lose weight" per se, I gained a lot of strength and endurance.
  • runningincognito
    Options
    I incorporate this in when running. When it begins to get easier I just use heavier weights and it gets harder again. I also do killer buns and thighs. I make sure to work out 1.5-2 hours a day
  • latewinterwolf
    Options
    im diong that atm, currently only 3 days in but im loving it. Hoping to shed a few pounds over it and make myself stronger :)
  • SilviCor
    SilviCor Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have done the full 30 days, along with doing C25k three times a week, and lost 21 lbs. I also tracked my food through Weight Watchers. I started at 5'6 weighing 151 lbs, which is not overweight for my height.

What I will say is that right now I am doing her No More Trouble Zones DVD and I love it far more than 30DS. 30DS was cardio intensive, and NMTZ is pure strength training and kicks my *kitten* more than 30DS did. The only cardio in NMTZ is during the 5 minute warm-up. I feel the burn in my muscles and the soreness the next day. I feel like this will make me stronger than 30DS ever did. I don't need more cardio since I run, you know?

I'm glad to know that! I did 30DS and really enjoyed it. Lost several inches all around, however I did want to find something less cardio and more weights so I will look into NMTZ. Thanks!
  • runningincognito
    Options
    I've read where many people say that 30DS is not strength training, it's cardio. I'm on Level 2 day 3, and I have to say I agree. My heart rate is up during the entire 20 minutes. However, having almost never done any kind of strength training and starting out the program not being able to do one single solitary "real" pushup, I have to say it's a really good beginning point. The stronger I get, the more I'm thinking I might want to try out a more rigorous strength plan once I'm through all three levels. And the heavy lifting advocates must like it when cardio rats like me (I love running!) start to feel the lifting love, right?

PS sorry I don't have any photos to share. I did get through all the plank jacks this morning pretty well, granted my *kitten* was about 6 feet in the air...but I'm making progress and seeing new muscles.

Well, it's really circuit training built for fat burning. If you're not a weight lifter though it will definitely build muscles if you use heavy enough weights to challenge yourself. It's great for beginners though.
  • estey89
    estey89 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My results

2ntcy9g.jpg

Start
    Finish lv 1
    Finish lv 2
    Finish lv 3 - End
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Well, it's really circuit training built for fat burning. If you're not a weight lifter though it will definitely build muscles if you use heavy enough weights to challenge yourself. It's great for beginners though.

sorry but no you wont build muscle doing JM eating at a deficet. You only build muscle eating at a surplus. You will build strenght which is different than building muscle.

I agree it is circuit training built for fat burning and it is great for beginnners.