Do I really need to eat breakfast?

Options

Replies

• Miche11e5
    Miche11e5 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You should eat breakfast if you're hungry. If you're not hungry, you shouldn't eat - at any time of day.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    You can schedule your eating however you want to...as for macros, I personally prefer higher protein, moderate carbs, plenty of fat.
    And you can eat any type of food at any time of day (pancakes at dinner, steak at breakfast).
  • indignantgnome
    indignantgnome Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I used to not eat breakfast, ever - and I lost 40 pounds lost year. (I updated my ticker the beginning of this year, which is why it's not reflected.) Now, I eat breakfast at work - but that's because I'm not ever entirely sure what time I'm going to be OFF work, and by the time I eat breakfast I've usually been at work for a good 3-4 hours.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    The answer to the question is ...... it depends :-) If you are planning on doing cardio in the morning it is a good idea to have some carbs a couple of hours before you get going. It won't hurt you don't but you wont break any personal bests. If you are lifting weights it appears some protein at some point before is a good idea. If you are just getting up and going to collage, work (kids or paid) then from what I can see there is no reason to if you don't want to. What is important is for you to hit your macros daily if you can :-)
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    You don't have to, but if you want to have "something" in the morning just to see if it works for you and you don't want to eat, why not have a protein shake?
    I usually can't eat right when I get up, I find that I can't stomach food first thing in the morning, but what I really want is water, so I'll drink water or iced tea on my way to work then have my breakfast after I get there (usually about two hours after I get up). I always carry premade protein shakes with me for when I'm in a pinch, and if I'm not hungry when I get to work I'll just have a protein shake and then a little later if I start getting the munchies, I'll have some fruit.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    You can schedule your eating however you want to...as for macros, I personally prefer higher protein, moderate carbs, plenty of fat.
    And you can eat any type of food at any time of day (pancakes at dinner, steak at breakfast).

^^^^^This is it. I also boost my protein and take it from carbs but then if/when I exercise I turn the exercises back mainly into carbs. I do this for good reasons based on science rather than bro science :-)
  • bebeXchyM
    bebeXchyM Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Breakfast makes me lazy and ravenous. Hence, I pass most a times except I wake up extremely hungry or come across a tempting meal.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Looking at the replies on here, and the variety of the answers within them, it indicates that everyone has a somewhat individual attitude towards breakfast. This could possibly be because we, as individuals, are unique.
    No one recommendation of generalisation will work for everybody. You just need to find what works for you. If eating breakfast makes you feel sick, why do something that makes you ill and likely miserable?
    As long as you are able to stay under your calorie amount by not eating breakfast where's the problem?

Edited for spelling
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    no you don't need breakfast. after reviewing the latest science last year, I promptly decided to stop eating breakfast. Check my profile for pics.

while studies of americans have found breakfast eaters to be leaner, I think a better study would look at " people who plan" vs. "people who just do whatever". In american culture, someone who skips breakfast is very rarely also planning their food choices all that intelligently.

"I crashed my metabolism adhering to lengains!". Said no one. Ever.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I hate breakfast, I hate eggs, and eating before noon or so has always either made me feel sick to my stomach or starving, but I know that breakfast is supposed to be good for you especially when you're losing weight, but do I really need to eat first thing or is it just another lie, like how many carbs the food pyramid says I need?

Whatever works for you, if you hate eating breakfast/don't like eating at that time of day it does seem pointless to force yourself unless you end up making the wrong choices at lunch.

I used to skip breakfast because I never had time for it and really wasn't that bothered but would be starving by lunch, I started having a slice of peanut butter on wholemeal toast and a cuppa tea (with milk and sugar/sweetener), not a huge breakfast but now I don't feel my stomach digesting itself at 11.30am in anticipation of my lunch break anymore. :P

I did this because it works for me and now I have to have at least something for breakfast, you seem to have tried forcing yourself to eat breakfast and not got any benefit, so trust your gut... literally.

I find alot of studies in the weight loss field are not an exact science, they have evidence that most people benefit from having breakfast but it's not conclusive that everyone would benefit, it's just on average, and I wager perhaps at least 25% of the none breakfast eaters in that trial/focus group/study did just as well as the breakfast eaters at weight loss. :)
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I NEVER eat breakfast. I really friggin hate it!! If anything, I can manage a PB sandwich a few hours after waking for some calories...but I really don't eat breakfast. And I'm losing weight and very healthy! So as long as you are eating the right number of calories and don't feel faint or anything in the morning--screw it! Just make sure you have enough fuel for your workouts or make sure you eat right after :) I don't like working out with food in my stomach...but the second I get home from the gym it's Nom time!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Yes! I’m sure that you have heard that it’s the most important meal of the day, that’s not far from the truth. I’m sure you’ve also heard the importance of eating more frequent but smaller meals, also great advice. You don’t necessarily have to eat a big breakfast but eat something, it kick starts the metabolism.
    V/r,
    DW.

No, no and no.

Please nobody listen to this
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    no.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    My husband and I try to follow the "only eat if you're actually hungry" and if you aren't you aren't. My breakfast typically consists of greek yogurt (around 8 am), and maybe a protein/fiber bar (at about 10:30 a.m.)

I think it's helpful, but if it just causes you distress, then forget it. Although I have the opposite problem: I love breakfast things!!! Eggs, bacon, biscuits, omlette's, bagels, pancakes, you name it - I love it!!

It's all about finding what works for you.....if breakfast ain't it, then so be it!!!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I’m sure that you have heard that it’s the most important meal of the day, that’s not far from the truth.

If it's any distance at all from the truth, it's still a lie. So we're on the same page about that, at least.

Dinner is the only meal I eat, so I'm going to call that the most important meal of the day. You can, similarly, do what you want.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Biologically no, eating breakfast is not necessary unless you're, say, diabetic and need to regulate your blood sugar or something.

Psychologically, some people do need breakfast. If I don't eat it, I feel like I'm starving and eat too much at lunch. This is not the case with some people, such as yourself OP. So find what works for you mentally, because biologically it doesn't make much of a difference.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    No, you do not need to eat breakfast as long as you are getting adequate calories during the rest of the day.
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    why eat for the sake of eating? If your body isn't telling you it is hungry then you don't need food.
    Screw the 'studies' and do what works for you, as long as it is healthy :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Yes! I’m sure that you have heard that it’s the most important meal of the day, that’s not far from the truth. I’m sure you’ve also heard the importance of eating more frequent but smaller meals, also great advice. You don’t necessarily have to eat a big breakfast but eat something, it kick starts the metabolism. Try something higher in protein as it makes you feel full and last longer. You will get hungry before lunch time, that is good, have a healthy snack standing by. Also, drink plenty of water that helps to keep you feeling full longer and suppresses your appetite.
    Good luck!
    V/r,
    DW.
    Eating in the morning DOESN'T kickstart metabolism. It's been running since one's been born and doesn't stop till one's dead.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Hey :-) good question. This works for me!

Eat a small breakfast within the first hour of waking up.
    Get at least 300 calories and 10 grams of protein.
    It jump starts your metabolism and gives your body the fuel it needs to function properly.
    And prepare a healthy snack before lunch time :-) try apples and peanut butter

Check out this informative link:
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/health-report/healthy-breakfast/importance-of-eating-breakfast.aspx
    Again, it DOESN'T jump start metabolism. It's important to defuse this ongoing myth that's been believed for decades now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition