Tips for working out at Work

Options
Okay,
So aside from taking a walk on my lunch break. Does anyone have any tips for working out at work?

Another question:
I know it is dangerous to do anything other than drive while driving a car, but what about working out at a stop light. I have 12 on my commute if i hit half of them that is like 6 minutes of sitting there. So any car/while sitting idle work out ideas?

Replies

• England3525
    Options
    Maybe do tricep curls with three puns weights.
  • England3525
    Options
    Three pound weights
  • wnt2bhlthy2
    Options
    I don't have any tips for working out in the car but I do at work. I always take the stairs. I do squats after washing my hands in the bathroom. I get up from my desk and run in place a few times a day just to get my heart rate up. I think little things here and there help a little. Better than nothing...
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    If you have a private office (or an area where you won't interfere with business), you can do body-weight calisthenics. I set an interval timer app on my phone to 3 rounds of 14 exercises. 30 seconds on/10 seconds off, I do jumping jacks, squats, push-ups, planks, etc. Takes about 30 minutes out of my lunch.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    How about beating your computer into a pile of scrap metal and plastic?
  • jesskreg
    jesskreg Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I know this might sound strange, but try doing squats, lunges or jumping jacks each time you go to use the restroom. Just wait until the bathroom is empty, unless you feel comfortable doing them with people around. :) You can also sit on a workout ball at your desk. Also, another way is to always use the stairs. If you have a spare minute, spend it walking up and down a flight of stairs. Another idea- park your car a distance from work and walk. Just be active and you can easily burn an extra 100-200 calories.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    kegels?
  • pajouey79
    pajouey79 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    lunges when you get up to go to fax or printer. I did just bring those 3 lb weights to work and use them at my desk when I am researching (and thus do not need both arms). goal is to have some pretty awesome triceps by summer (in Phoenix, which is like, late March? LOL) :bigsmile:
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Okay... here goes
    Every time I go pee at work I do 10-15 squats at a time. I purposely drink extra water so I have to pee more in which I have to squat more.... And I ask to run errands around the building for whom ever so I can walk more.
  • damien34x
    Options
    Yeah i take the two flights of stairs, can't park any farther and still be in the lot. I don't know how to do a Kegel or what that is really. But i can work with some of the other ideas.

Thanks
  • pajouey79
    pajouey79 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Also, if you don't mind weird looks from other drivers, I would recommend getting groovy with some music at the stop lights. uses the arms and abs.
  • CulturedCowgurl
    CulturedCowgurl Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    How about beating your computer into a pile of scrap metal and plastic?

:laugh:
  • cupcakecutie1985
    cupcakecutie1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    we have a group of about 4 us that do 30 min workouts at lunch, we get an hour and are fortunate to be able to eat lunch at our desks for the most part. So we find a space that works somewhere in the buildings and just get to it. I bring wipes so help the sweat factor...a few other measures can be taken to deal w it, but its not all that bad! Not sure if that is applicable to you work, but even works if you have a private office of your own. We've had lots of success w the JM 30 day shred, and others, but have recently picked up the p90x3 series. Hope you work something out! (No pun intended)
  • GhostriderMav
    GhostriderMav Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I try to walk up run down or run all the way the 4 flights of stairs in the back of building that no one uses, before i go home, a little sweat is ok that way
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Search "exercises to do while driving"...there are lots of tips.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    As to the car, dangerous. I wouldn't recommend at all.

As to office - i second (or 3rd, etc) the bathroom exercises. If i need a little pick-me-up or it's too cold/too hot to walk outside, I'll go in there and do Squats, leg lifts, cross lifts, side lunges, wall push-ups & standing calf raises. At least 2 sets of 10-20 reps. Takes me less than 10 min.
  • heatbreakerr
    Options
    Sounds like you have a desk job, I would speed walk everywhere.

Like for example, if you have to throw away the trash and the trash can is across the room, I would speed walk, there and back.
    You will be getting your exercise and everyone would think your being productive... lol.
  • bluehenjen
    bluehenjen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    While sitting at stop lights in your car, pull your shoulders back and hold, then repeat. This will work your back muscles. It seems easy at first but you'll start to feel the burn pretty quickly. See the first part of this video for a demonstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA1fDQyI7-I.
  • fat2skinny50
    fat2skinny50 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If you work in a building with stairs - take the stairs vs the elevator. Park you car in the back of the parking lot. ummm that's all i can think of sorry
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    In my building there is a small library way down on the bottom floor that nobody ever uses. I do my stomach work and back stretches down there during my morning breaks.