New Runner's Advice Anyone?

Options
I am new to running however I have committed to a half marathon on April 19th. Last October, I began running some and was up to 3 miles. I struggled with severe shin splints and inflammation in my right foot. I got fitted for new running shoes and took some time off for my foot to heal. I'm 14 1/2 weeks out from the race and sucessfully suffered through 2 miles last night. I know that things will get easier since I have 40 pounds to lose. I currently despise running but have heard that as my body adjusts to it, I will grow to love and appreciate it. Has anyone found this to be true? Does anyone have any advice? I downloaded the 13.1 Run Coach which seems to be a good app. I'm just worried I'm going to fail but I'm tired of being chunky and really want to find something I can love and appreciate.

Feel free to add me! I need a good support group! =)

Replies

• JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Are you doing run/walk intervals?

I'd stick with those. As your fitness improves you can make your run intervals longer and your walk intervals shorter.

You don't need to fail. And unless you are pushing too hard - you should not despise running.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half-marathon-training/
  • ShawnaK82
    ShawnaK82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can not find it in me to want to run, but know that this could help with the last few pounds I need to loose.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think this goal is a bit too lofty. Why not start with a 5 or 10k? From 0-13.1 miles in less than 8 months is a lot.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I agree-- I would start with run/walk intervals!

I am doing my first half on April 6th and started training 8 weeks ago. I absolutely hated running but I have grown to appreciate it!

are you running on a treadmill or outside? i have found treadmills are freaking awful and i am not a fan of the cold weather-- but id take the cold weather anyday over the treadmill!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If you mean April 19, 2015, you should be able to find a basic plan that you can use to work to your goal reasonably.

If you mean April 19, 2014, this sounds like a Very Bad Idea™.

(I spent three months last fall working my way to 10k (6ish miles). I ran into several setbacks along the way that nearly derailed me.)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    If your commitment was only verbal and you haven't paid yet, think about changing the distance to a 5 or 10k. A half marathon is a challenge for a lot of experienced runners. No matter what distance you're signed up for my advice is to find a simple beginner training program based on a 12 week plan. Most of those for the half marathon start with several 3+ mile runs in the first week so there is a steep curve to start from next to nothing.

With such a short time before the run, set a realistic goal .... TO FINISH! Run what you can, walk what you must but keep the goal to cross the line in one piece then build off the training you do for this run. Based on how your body reacts to the training, pick another run that will challenge you. It might be a 5k you want to finish in a certain time, a full marathon, or anything in between ... just keep the goals and the training plan realistic and progressive so you challenge your body and force it to adapt and improve.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You are a new runner and you are doing a half?
    Thats ballsy!

in your training dont "just" run.

make sure you strengthen all the leg muscles so they can properly support you and save you from knee pain.
    Might sound funny, but glutes are especially important here.

Stretch well, foam roll the heck out of your legs on a regular basis, and run/walk in intervals...10 and 1's are usually good.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    My friend started training for a half that is this weekend back in the late summer/early fall. He pushed too hard and hurt his IT band and had to hold back from running for awhile. He didn't start again until in November and is only at 3-4 miles. He will have to walk most of his half Saturday. So I would definitely say go reallyyyy slow. Its okay to walk some intervals, even during the race.

Some races allow you to defer your payment to someone else or to the next time. Some even allow you to put it towards a different distance (if they are offering one the same day).
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think this goal is a bit too lofty. Why not start with a 5 or 10k? From 0-13.1 miles in less than 8 months is a lot.

^THIS.

You don't even have to register for anything just yet. Start with run/walk intervals of running 5 minutes/walking 2 minutes, then build to 5/1. THEN register for a 5K. If you like it, do another. And another. And then think about a half-marathon.

Arrange success, not frustration.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    True.

The deciding factor between whether or not this is a "Very Bad Idea™" or a fine way to spend an afternoon is, IMO, the time limit for the race.

If it's 2 hours - you'd need to go at 6.55 mph - this is possibly a "Very Bad Idea™" to shoot for this time or less.
    If it's 2.5 hours - you'd need to go at 5.24 mph - this will require jogging.
    If it's 3 hours - you'd need to go at 4.37 mph - this will require a bit of jogging.
    If it's 3.5 hours - you'd need to go at 3.75 mph - many people walk this fast.
    If it's 4 hours - you'd need to go at 3.28 mph - most people walk this fast.

I agree that a goal of simply finishing the distance should be your goal.

But 3 hour and 4 hour time limit half-marathons are common.
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    I started running about a year ago. It's hard...it never gets "easy". I run every other day and I still have sore shins or sore calves. It's just that it doesn't really bother me anymore. I absolutley love running and can't imagine not being able to do it.

Now, commiting to a half with only a few months to train is quite ambicious for a new runner. I'm doing my first 10k in May....after a year of running. Not saying it's not possible, but they type of training you will have to do in such a short amount of time will most likely just end in injury. Why not make a plan to do the whole race in intervals? Now, that is doable. Run for as long as you can then take walk breaks. If nothing else, it will help condition you for future running.

Best of luck to you! I hope you learn to love it because it's awesome!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Ummm so you can hardly run 2 miles but think you can run 13 in 14 weeks? I hope you have not paid and can start slower. Try a 5k, then a 10k, then maybe a 10 mile. I did a 10 mile 2.5 years after I started running. It's good to dream but this is a recipe for injury and you will hate running. Go slow and build up
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    True.

The deciding factor between whether or not this is a "Very Bad Idea™" or a fine way to spend an afternoon is, IMO, the time limit for the race.

If it's 2 hours - you'd need to go at 6.55 mph - this is possibly a "Very Bad Idea™" to shoot for this time or less.
    If it's 2.5 hours - you'd need to go at 5.24 mph - this will require jogging.
    If it's 3 hours - you'd need to go at 4.37 mph - this will require a bit of jogging.
    If it's 3.5 hours - you'd need to go at 3.75 mph - many people walk this fast.
    If it's 4 hours - you'd need to go at 3.28 mph - most people walk this fast.

I agree that a goal of simply finishing the distance should be your goal.

But 3 hour and 4 hour time limit half-marathons are common.

Exactly!

If it is possible to walk a marathon in under 7 hours then as long as the limit is 3.5hours you will be fine.

My suggestion would be find yourself a simple running loop around a mile long. Run/walk to a ratio of about 2:1 and I would bet that 2 miles you struggled through the other day will easily now be 3+. It will take longer but probably not as much as you would think. Stick to the 2:1 ratio while upping the distance gradually and see how it goes. if you get near the 10 mile point a couple of weeks out then go for it.

At the end of the day every year thousands of people sign up for marathons to raise money for charities and barely get to 10k before doing a 5-6hour marathon on the day. they get through it fine. okay they may never run again but they don't get to 10k and drop dead!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I have run as much as 5 miles in one day, and I am still just thinking about a 10K. In March or maybe April.

You can barely make 2 miles in an exercise that you don't like, and you are thinking about a 13 mile race?

I don't get it.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have run as much as 5 miles in one day, and I am still just thinking about a 10K. In March or maybe April.

You can barely make 2 miles in an exercise that you don't like, and you are thinking about a 13 mile race?

I don't get it.

Everybody hates running initially! Imo it's why there is such a high failure rate of c25k programs. Takes too long to get the stage where you can throw on your running shoes and go out for a proper 3/4 miles run and get that runners high.

I hated running in the beginning but now I love it in a masochistic kind of way.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'll take bad ideas for $400 Alex...

Take your time to learn to like running. No need to be in a hurry to run a half.
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    I can't recommend the couch to 5k program enough. Good support group here on MFP for it, and several apps for various smartphones. I couldn't run at all when I first started the program last year. I'm working my way up to a 10k now. You have to crawl before you can walk. I'd work the C25K program and go from there.
  • christinemadden0223
    christinemadden0223 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Strength train alongside your running- helps prevent injury

On days I'm just not feeling a long run I'll warm up with a mile or two (or some days just a half if I'm really being lazy) and then run sprints at 10mph 30 seconds on, 30 second jump. I do 5-10 and then walk for 5 minutes. Repeat until you're completely warn out. It's a nice change of pace and makes you want to run faster when you do a long run...
  • christinemadden0223
    christinemadden0223 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    worn**
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    SLOW DOWN!!!!

Trust me! I was in the same boat, trying to push myself, running through the pain and now I've messed myself up so badly I can't even walk 1 block without excruciating pain in my legs (torn fascia). So PLEASE take your time. Do run/walk intervals. Run 1 min, walk 1 min. next week run 2 min, walk 1 min and keep going up 1 min a week. or slower if you're struggling. don't worry about distance or speed at first, worry about stamina and proper posture and not injuring yourself. PLEASE!