How fit were you when you started marathon training?

Options
I am wondering how far could you run when you started, 5k?10? half marathon?
How long did it take you to train for it?

Replies

• estatitra
    estatitra Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gattogurl
    gattogurl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was 205 lbs and was 5 weeks outside of bariatric surgery when I started C25K training. I completed that, then went on to the 10k training but decided I wanted more so I kind of went off and did my own thing. I have now started marathon training, but I am only into week 2...with 28 weeks to go :) I hope this info helps :)
  • estatitra
    Options
    wow! thank you for the info!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    I've just found myself just signing up for longer/longer races as I complete each (first a 5k, then a 10 mile, then a half marathon, then training now for a full).

Went from 0 to the 10 miler in 4.5 months (6 weeks on the C25k, then 13 for the 10 miler), but then took a break before resuming with half then full training. Started the C25k at a BMI of 38, ran the 5k at 36.5 (38 minutes), ran the 10 miler at 34 (under 2 hours), half at 32.5, and hoping to be under a BMI of 28 for the marathon (targeting a 5 hour finish).

Been using the Hal Higdon site for training plans (working through half-Novice 2, then full-Novice 1).
  • doodlecakes_07
    doodlecakes_07 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I could run 8 miles at most before training, and that was a huge accomplishment. I would usually stay around or below the 5 mile range. I did a 16 week training plan, and it worked really well for me!
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I was 225, and couldn't huff and puff through a mile...my first 5k, I was about 210, it was a trail 5k, I was about 205 when I did my first 10k, and about 180 when I did my first half-marathon, six months after I started running.

I didn't run a marathon until about 2 years after I started running and was in fairly decent shape and around 175,
  • Laurochka
    Laurochka Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    For my first marathon I was not a runner at all. I was reasonably active through walking and a bit of gym attendance but nothing more.
    I started training in October for a Marathon in May - so pretty much 6-7 months.
    The first run I literally left my house and just saw how far I could go - about 5 mins!
    I built from there - 5 - 6 -7 - 10 - 12 - 15 - 20 - 30 mins. Slow steady runs. This prob took me about a month - running about 3 times a week.
    The I researched Marathon training plans and found a 16 week beginners one which seemed realistic for me. It involved running about 4 times a week - 3 varied shortish runs gradually building up distance and then a long run on a Sunday.

I'd recommend finding a plan you think you can stick too but allow yourself some flexibility and go for it!
    It's such an amazing sense of achievement.
    I'd also say a lot of it's in your head -mental strength is needed too.
    Good Luck
    Lxx
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am training for one now. I have regularly ran 10+ miles on various days so it isn't going to be too bad. My focus now isn't completing a marathon but running it in under 4 hours. At the moment I am doing five runs a weeks, one of these is a long run on Sundays, a 5-7 miler during the week, a speed session and two shorter runs of 2-4 miles.

When I first started out I didn't put in for until I was hitting 5 miles regularly.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Not particularly. I ran my first race in October 2012. I was about 1.5 stone overweight at the time and did some moderate exercise - football (soccer) once a week and the occasional run of about 5k.

I did about a months worth of training which basically consisted of regular running, upping the distance to 10 miles.

So not particularly fit... but... I loved the race. If anything, the adrenaline pushed me too. And I havent stopped racing since. Love it!!
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Been using the Hal Higdon site for training plans (working through half-Novice 2, then full-Novice 1).

Currently doing this. It's a 12 week training program. Up to week 2 and going ok. Have been running for just under a year and have increased my fitness a fair bit over this time.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I had been back into running about a year, not the best base, maybe only 30-40 miles per MONTH, but could run 8 miles or so without issue, even though I didn't run often.
    If I had to do it all again I would have trained another year at a 30-40 mile per WEEK base, THEN started marathon training.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I had been running for about 6 years before I ran my first marathon. I was running about 35 to 40 miles per week before I started the marathon training cycle. Training went well, I got through it without incident. The race played out just like most first marathons do, regardless of your level of fitness, I hit the wall at around mile 20. My pace dropped significantly, but I still managed to finish running. I've run 3 more marathons since then and haven't hit the wall in any of those.

My suggestion to anyone that wants to run a marathon is to don't even think about starting a marathon training cycle until you have 12 to 18 months of solid, consistent base mileage in the 25 to 30 mile per week range. There are plenty of other challenging race distances to participate in. The marathon is not the end all, be all.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I am wondering how far could you run when you started, 5k?10? half marathon?
    How long did it take you to train for it?

I ran a half marathon for the first time in October. Previously I ran mostly 5Ks and a few longer races.

I did this program --> http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51312/Half-Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program to get ready.

I had a minor surgery that took me out of the game for a week so I did the first 6 weeks, took a week off and then started again at week 6.

I was totally ready for a 1/2 if not incredibly speedy (2 hours 11 minutes).

I currently run 3 or 4 30 minute runs during the week and a longer run on Saturday/Sunday if I don't have a race. Winter in New England has banished me to the treadmill for most of my races.

I have a Marathon planned in late July and I have an 18 week training program I am starting in March
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51137/Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

I will not be following it directly as I'm having the half marathon on the wrong week and I have a large number of races from the running series.

If you are worried and you have 30 weeks to get ready try this
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51143/Marathon-Novice-Supreme-Training-Program
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Just to answer your question....I was 165 lbs when I started running last January. I started with 5K then went up from there, and now have 4 (or 5) half marathons planned for next year. But...that was my pace. You may or may not need to take more time than I did to get up to marathon status. I still am not ready for a full yet, Mentally I think I can handle it, but my body physically just isn't ready.

Start with C25K and progress from there onto 10K and then onto HM. And I agree with the Hal Higdon training plans. They are awesome.
  • estatitra
    Options
    These are so inspiring! I can run 10k now, and have been running 5k, 6 day/week for 1 month now. The marathon that I have in mind is in May. My goal is only to finish it. I am going to start training tomorrow! Thank you all for answering my question!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I was 140 at 5'3 (just on the healthy side of the healthy/overweight line for my height) when I started c25k the first time. I'm also an asthmatic and had a 1 y.o. that was in daycare (germie baby). The strain of excercise with my exposure to germs and weaker immune system caused me significant illness at this time, strep 3 times in 2 months among other childhood illnesses. So I had to give it up. I picked it up again the next year. When I was done with c25k in June of 2012 I was running 5k in 39:20. Got myself on an organized 5k program and in August I ran an official 5k pushing my daughter in the jogger in 29:52. In October of 2012 I ran my first HM. And I ran it slow, but I finished feeling great, like I could have kept going which seemed like a good way to finish for my first 1.

Currently I'm training for half #5 and I just got my 5k down to 26:04. I am running about 25 mpw right now, but once I can get the jogger out some (as it starts to warm up) I'll increase to the 30-40 range and in May I'll start marathon training using Hal Higdon's Intermediate 2 plan. But the important thing to remember is that we all have to work on our own schedules and listen to our bodies.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    These are so inspiring! I can run 10k now, and have been running 5k, 6 day/week for 1 month now. The marathon that I have in mind is in May. My goal is only to finish it. I am going to start training tomorrow! Thank you all for answering my question!

I would strongly recommend that you reconsider doing a full marathon in ~4 months with that training base. It would make a lot more sense to do a half-marathon first, then look for a marathon in the fall.

To do a marathon in May, You would have to build up mileage very quickly, and you will very likely get injured. It is very satisfying to complete a half, and when you do a marathon after a year's effort, you will have a much better experience.
  • estatitra
    Options
    Well I am going to start training tonight AND I am very nervous. We will see what happens, I haven't registered for the race yet.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    What Dave Said:

I would strongly recommend that you reconsider doing a full marathon in ~4 months with that training base. It would make a lot more sense to do a half-marathon first, then look for a marathon in the fall.

To do a marathon in May, You would have to build up mileage very quickly, and you will very likely get injured. It is very satisfying to complete a half, and when you do a marathon after a year's effort, you will have a much better experience.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I ran my first marathon after running consistently for 2 + years. During that time time I ran 7 or 8 halfs (and shorter stuff too).

My $.02 - people are in too big a hurry to run a marathon while totally undertrained.

It works much better if you take the time to do it right.