Juicing, baby.

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Juicing "detox" is a meaningless waste of time. And fiber.

Eat your food, don't juice it.
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners and other processed stuff that the body doesn't need or benefit from.

Not drugs or anything. :P

I'm curious. How will you know that you are detoxed? Can you feel it? Is there a test? I am genuinely interested in how you know it works.

I'm a bit of a nerd, so I do a lot of reading and digging to find out what people say about things like this. I've also heard several people in my life who have tried this share similar results. Among them are clearer skin and nails that aren't as brittle, and what appeals to me most- people have told me their "cognitive fog" had lifted. Large amounts of additives in foods from being processed and flavored and colored can make us feel a bit foggy (I definitely feel it!) and when we allow those to exit the body and replace them with things our body actually runs on, many times folks notice that they think more clearly and are more attentive and focused.

My idea of juicing is not to use it for weight-loss. Weight-loss is a byproduct of spending time juicing, but my primary method of weight loss is eating at a calorie deficit and incorporating cardio and strength training into my life. If I were to detox for a few days and then resume eating mostly plant-based, naturally occurring foods along with my physical activity, I can't imagine that I wouldn't feel better on the whole.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Nothing really wrong with cutting certain foods out, so long as you can sustain that, but no food is really "bad" and you may find it difficult to stick with. My cousin is very strict with his diet, he also fails every few months. As for a "reboot" your body is not a dysfunctional lap top, and throwing a liquid diet at it for a week is not going to trigger some magic reset. You may think it does, but that's nothing more than the placebo effect. you'll be better off just eating the vegetables. Besides, you have been losing, so why do you need this supposed "reboot"?

Rigger
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    My dad did TONS of research and he ended up buying us the omega 8600 masticator. You can get waaaay more juice from leafy greens, and juice lasts up to 72 hours. Make sure you get 1200 cals still through juice, which is about 4 12-oz glasses or so.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    VITAMIX FTW!

i haven't read the comments on this thread, but I'm imagining all the disinformation flying around.. add me if you'd like a fellow juice head/ vegan friend :)
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners and other processed stuff that the body doesn't need or benefit from.

I'm curious. How will you know that you are detoxed? Can you feel it? Is there a test? I am genuinely interested in how you know it works.

I'm a bit of a nerd, so I do a lot of reading and digging to find out what people say about things like this. I've also heard several people in my life who have tried this share similar results. Among them are clearer skin and nails that aren't as brittle, and what appeals to me most- people have told me their "cognitive fog" had lifted. Large amounts of additives in foods from being processed and flavored and colored can make us feel a bit foggy (I definitely feel it!) and when we allow those to exit the body and replace them with things our body actually runs on, many times folks notice that they think more clearly and are more attentive and focused.

My idea of juicing is not to use it for weight-loss. Weight-loss is a byproduct of spending time juicing, but my primary method of weight loss is eating at a calorie deficit and incorporating cardio and strength training into my life. If I were to detox for a few days and then resume eating mostly plant-based, naturally occurring foods along with my physical activity, I can't imagine that I wouldn't feel better on the whole.

See, this right here is why so many of us on here just stick with our sarcastic and condescending remarks, because you have already made up your mind, and no matter how much solid advice we give, you folks continue on a path of nonsense.

Rigger
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    thank goodness you put that comma between those two words in the topic name.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

That's interesting. Why wouldn't you just start tomorrow and eat healthy? Why do you have to "detox" first? What happens to people that don't detox (like myself)? Am I destined to carry around tons of toxins? Why don't I feel bad? Why can I think clearly? This is just so curious to me.

ETA: I also have not been sick in years - I don't even have headaches. I am able to lift weights and recently I have taken up running. All with out a single detox.
  • cassy_runs
    Options

LOL. Thank goodness indeed!
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    You need to find a group to post this in or it is not going to go well for you at all.

Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options
    I have been juicing for about a month now and I love it. Of course I do it in addition to eating healthier. I figure it is a good way to get a nutrient packed food that is easily absorbed by your body. There is no way I would eat carrots, celery, apples, grapefruit, grapes, cucumber, and spinach in one sitting. Yes it takes out the fiber, but as far as the micro nutrients you receive... I think its worth it.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Magic detoxes are so much fun, especially juice detoxes that deny your body many essential nutrients like Protein and fat. Congrats on your new "healthy" lifestyle.

Rigger

Did you have anything positive to add, or are you entirely satisfied with being sarcastic and condescending? I see that you've dropped 61 pounds, which is amazing. Wouldn't you rather give me a good idea based on your experience?

Please don't take this sort of thing personally. People pursue some very unhealthy things in the name of detoxing or losing weight. Some people have better tact than others.

You posted a clarification which indicates that you will be pursuing a healthy diet. It sounds like your juicing + plant-based solids (fiber's important not to mention protein) along with water will convey to you all of the nutrients that you need for health and nothing artificial, which you wish to avoid.
  • cassy_runs
    Options

See, this right here is why so many of us on here just stick with our sarcastic and condescending remarks, because you have already made up your mind, and no matter how much solid advice we give, you folks continue on a path of nonsense.

Rigger

Man, see, I was JUST about to quote your post most recently before this one and thank you for the suggestion and tell you that, given all the great thoughts people have given me on this post, I will probably re-evaluate the juice cleanse idea. I've never claimed there are no other ways to make myself feel better and whatnot. Then you had to go and get all mean again. But that's alright.

All that to say, I've gotten great information so far on this thread, and some of it has definitely made me re-think the juice detox idea. I don't pretend to believe I've got it all figured out. If I did, I wouldn't be on MFP because I wouldn't need the community and the feedback. I'm just glad there is so much information out there and that people are sending it my way. I think that's what community is for.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

Rigger

What's this dude? Ask a question, get an honest answer, and then come back saying that because she had an answer, she had already made up her mind?

Did this chick cut you off in traffic or something today?
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I see why you wanna juice, I also see others sides.

Think I see others sides more though. I don't see the benefit of consuming nothing but juice, even if you are getting lots of nutrients. I just don't see it as healthy and if I'm honest a little pointless. I completely understand the benefits of juicing as I have looked into thoroughly but I'd combine it with healthy balanced meals. Maybe juice for breakfast and lunch and eat a nice home cooked dinner with lots of veggies.

People are right, our bodies are very good (generally) at what they do. You don't need to survive on micronutrients from juice to help it.

Also, if you generally have 1 cheat day a week, will you not have that while you juice? If the answer is no, wouldn't it make more sense to eat healthily and juice and skip the cheat day?
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    I have been juicing for about a month now and I love it. Of course I do it in addition to eating healthier. I figure it is a good way to get a nutrient packed food that is easily absorbed by your body. There is no way I would eat carrots, celery, apples, grapefruit, grapes, cucumber, and spinach in one sitting. Yes it takes out the fiber, but as far as the micro nutrients you receive... I think its worth it.

This was part of what inspired me to try juicing. There's no way I'd sit down and eat that many veggies in a day.. I'm on the road for my job all day, I just can't afford the time. if I juice in the morning and pack it up in a cooler, juice and salads can go with me on the road.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    ngbbs507f1281ab988.jpg

I'll eat my juice in the fruits and veggies, thankyouverymuch.
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options

This was part of what inspired me to try juicing. There's no way I'd sit down and eat that many veggies in a day.. I'm on the road for my job all day, I just can't afford the time. if I juice in the morning and pack it up in a cooler, juice and salads can go with me on the road.

That is exactly why I do it. Keep this in mind though... juicing takes effort and time and clean up. I usually make a batch every 2 days and have it for breakfast and a glass with dinner. I am beginning to hate the cleanup of it.. but I am a male, so enough said!