Juicing, baby.

Options

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Magic detoxes are so much fun, especially juice detoxes that deny your body many essential nutrients like Protein and fat. Congrats on your new "healthy" lifestyle.

Rigger

Did you have anything positive to add, or are you entirely satisfied with being sarcastic and condescending? I see that you've dropped 61 pounds, which is amazing. Wouldn't you rather give me a good idea based on your experience?

Please don't take this sort of thing personally. People pursue some very unhealthy things in the name of detoxing or losing weight. Some people have better tact than others.

You posted a clarification which indicates that you will be pursuing a healthy diet. It sounds like your juicing + plant-based solids (fiber's important not to mention protein) along with water will convey to you all of the nutrients that you need for health and nothing artificial, which you wish to avoid.

^this.

Good to hear you are open to other opinions on this. Most of these thread the OP get defensive and it goes very badly. There is nothing wrong with juicing to get nutrients but there is also nothing detoxifying about it.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    If you have had a change of heart that's great, I just get sick of doling out helpful advice just to be told to get lost. It's not intended to be mean, merely abrupt and honest.

Rigger
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    I see why you wanna juice, I also see others sides.

Think I see others sides more though. I don't see the benefit of consuming nothing but juice, even if you are getting lots of nutrients. I just don't see it as healthy and if I'm honest a little pointless. I completely understand the benefits of juicing as I have looked into thoroughly but I'd combine it with healthy balanced meals. Maybe juice for breakfast and lunch and eat a nice home cooked dinner with lots of veggies.

People are right, our bodies are very good (generally) at what they do. You don't need to survive on micronutrients from juice to help it.

Also, if you generally have 1 cheat day a week, will you not have that while you juice? If the answer is no, wouldn't it make more sense to eat healthily and juice and skip the cheat day?

All very good points! I hadn't really taken cheat days into consideration in the juicing journey. My cheat days have gotten less cheat-like in recent months as I've grown to enjoy more whole grains than white, refined carbs. One of the biggest benefits of juice is that it makes me able to get in an amount of veggies I probably wouldn't be able to get in otherwise. If I had the time during the day to prepare and ingest as much plant food as what goes into a day of juicing, I absolutely would do that. I only eat one meal at home each day, and most of my work day is spent in the car, so I'm still trying to come up with creative ways to make sure I get those veggies in.
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options
    If you have had a change of heart that's great, I just get sick of doling out helpful advice just to be told to get lost. It's not intended to be mean, merely abrupt and honest.

Rigger

It sounds like you have all the "right" answers though... right for you maybe.
  • cassy_runs
    Options

Rigger

Abrupt is definitely a good word for it. :) I do appreciate your honesty and that you care when you see people using misinformation to inform their diets. I couldn't tell you to get lost- I can't write off anyone who's had 61 pounds of success. Must be doing something right, haha.
  • breeshabebe
    Options
    Careful in posting, friend.... these people will eat you alive.

Honestly, they are right... I was harping on this earlier because someone had told me that I needed to juice and only eat soups and stuff.... truth is.. you can get more by eating it whole... and you will feel fuller. But being right isn't a good reason to be harsh to those reaching out.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I started out with a juicing for 7 days. I did lose weight, it did help my sugar cravings. However, I did have a few side-effects. If you use it as diving platform for making life changes you will probably find some lasting changes. However, if you expect juicing to cure all of your problems and be the cure to all of your weight problems, then you will experience some problems.

Good luck.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I love juices. I do feel energized when I have them. I love salads and steamed veggies as well. I see nothing wrong with it as long as long as you are getting all of your nutrients for the day (protien, fiber,fat,etc).
  • melybelyc
    Options
    I have been juicing for 6 days now. I have a Big Boss juicer I bought at Walmart for $50 CDN. It works great. I did go a step further and put the juice and the pulp in my blender and pureed it all up - there is a lot of nutrients in the pulp. I add water to thin it down and have added garlic, parsley and salsa spice for a kick. It tastes wonderful. I also add some whey protein powder to it so that I have no lack of protein.

I feel fantastic and I love doing it. Once I have reached 140 lbs (8 more to go) then I will cut back on the juicing by eating one meal a day. I work a really hectic job and I cannot stop to eat, so drinking my nutrition is so much easier. I really have never felt better or had more energy.

I also drink one Shakeology nutrition shake for breakfast every day as it gives me 100% of all of my daily vitamins and 17 grams of protein so I don't need to worry about that either. Its GOOD!
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    A sucker is born every second
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    You need to find a group to post this in or it is not going to go well for you at all.

Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif

Lol. I have been guided to one, thankfully, and have been reading the threads there. However, I do appreciate the opposing viewpoint- it presents me with a lot of information (when people actually provide information rather than just getting pissed and telling me it's dumb or pointless) that I actually do read and take into consideration going forward. ;)
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

Rigger

It sounds like you have all the "right" answers though... right for you maybe.

Well, you said it, not me. :wink:

Rigger
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I have been juicing for 6 days now. I have a Big Boss juicer I bought at Walmart for $50 CDN. It works great. I did go a step further and put the juice and the pulp in my blender and pureed it all up - there is a lot of nutrients in the pulp. I add water to thin it down and have added garlic, parsley and salsa spice for a kick. It tastes wonderful. I also add some whey protein powder to it so that I have no lack of protein.

I feel fantastic and I love doing it. Once I have reached 140 lbs (8 more to go) then I will cut back on the juicing by eating one meal a day. I work a really hectic job and I cannot stop to eat, so drinking my nutrition is so much easier. I really have never felt better or had more energy.

I also drink one Shakeology nutrition shake for breakfast every day as it gives me 100% of all of my daily vitamins and 17 grams of protein so I don't need to worry about that either. Its GOOD!

. . . But if you juice it, and then put the pulp back in with the juice in your blender . . . why not just blend it and skip the juicing?
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    Magic detoxes are so much fun, especially juice detoxes that deny your body many essential nutrients like Protein and fat. Congrats on your new "healthy" lifestyle.

Rigger

Did you have anything positive to add, or are you entirely satisfied with being sarcastic and condescending? I see that you've dropped 61 pounds, which is amazing. Wouldn't you rather give me a good idea based on your experience?

Please don't take this sort of thing personally. People pursue some very unhealthy things in the name of detoxing or losing weight. Some people have better tact than others.

You posted a clarification which indicates that you will be pursuing a healthy diet. It sounds like your juicing + plant-based solids (fiber's important not to mention protein) along with water will convey to you all of the nutrients that you need for health and nothing artificial, which you wish to avoid.

^this.

Good to hear you are open to other opinions on this. Most of these thread the OP get defensive and it goes very badly. There is nothing wrong with juicing to get nutrients but there is also nothing detoxifying about it.

Lol, yes, the reason I posted that I had the idea and was going to plan this was because I was curious about the information other people had that I may not have come across on my own yet. This is a great way to get information. But some are just content making a four word statement of disagreement and moving on. Which is fine for them, I suppose.
  • lindsayk324
    lindsayk324 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a nerd, so I do a lot of reading and digging to find out what people say about things like this. I've also heard several people in my life who have tried this share similar results. Among them are clearer skin and nails that aren't as brittle, and what appeals to me most- people have told me their "cognitive fog" had lifted. Large amounts of additives in foods from being processed and flavored and colored can make us feel a bit foggy (I definitely feel it!) and when we allow those to exit the body and replace them with things our body actually runs on, many times folks notice that they think more clearly and are more attentive and focused.

My idea of juicing is not to use it for weight-loss. Weight-loss is a byproduct of spending time juicing, but my primary method of weight loss is eating at a calorie deficit and incorporating cardio and strength training into my life. If I were to detox for a few days and then resume eating mostly plant-based, naturally occurring foods along with my physical activity, I can't imagine that I wouldn't feel better on the whole.

Hi, friend! Welcome to your new lifestyle -- your mind and body are definitely going to thank you for it!

However, the effects you're looking to achieve (better mental health, better focus, clearer skin, stronger nails) are not byproducts of nefarious chemicals in your food. Yes, you will feel better eating "wholesome" foods rather than processed foods. But a juicing detox will not cleanse you any better than a liter or two of water and a bunch of fiber, if you know what I mean. ;P

Another poster said it best: your kidneys and liver are pretty great at filtering junk out of your body and into your *ahem* waste! I can't find any studies supporting the theory of bioaccumulation of sucralose or its metabolites in the body.

Looking at ingredient lists can be really really scary. There's that adage people are living by now that goes something like "I don't eat anything that has an ingredient I can't pronounce." But if you look at the ingredients in whole, natural foods, you might be surprised!

OaqLfjC.jpg

ingredients-of-all-natural-blueberries.jpg

ingredients-of-a-banana.jpg?w=604&h=853

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's no need to be afraid that you've "built up" a bunch of "chemicals" in your body -- chemicals make up EVERYTHING that we eat, and EVERYTHING that we are. You are the product of billions of years of evolution and life -- your body is much better at flushing out "bad" things than you give it credit for.

It can be scary to think about how you've been abusing your body, fueling it with processed crap. But your body is amazing, you are literally made of stardust! It is so so so great that you are ready to embrace your body and fuel it with the good wholesome things that will make it run at peak performance!

Detoxing through juicing is not one of those things though :p Just eat a bunch of high fiber foods over the next few days and down a bunch of water and boy oh boy you will feel "cleansed" after that!

((edited because I derped the img src!))
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Your kidneys, liver and intestines do a pretty good of removing toxins from your body. If you want to stop eating artificial sweeteners for a week or so, just try eating more natural foods. Fruit and vegetables have all sorts of great nutrients in them, but juicing removes some rather important things like fiber. One thing you might want to look at is Whole30, but it eliminates some odd things like legumes, which really isn't necessary. Just stick to buying things in the outside aisles of the grocery store. That should get you where you want with your non-processed foods, and you don't have to starve yourself to do it.

Not only that, some recent articles have suggested that juicing exclusively can put additional stress on your liver and kidneys. That's right, instead of helping yourself detox, you may actually be damaging the very organs that do it for you.

Be very careful. Juicing 1-2 cups a day, as part of a well balanced diet (which includes mostly solids), may be a good way to get in those extra veggies. Juicing for you entire food intake can backfire in multiple ways.
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you why a juice only diet wouldn't work for me..

I like food, as much as eating healthily is satisfying, if I didn't eat anything that I really enjoyed I would fall off the bandwagon, no doubt about it.

Juice can be tasty but your still gonna crave those carbs and by restricting yourself and not allowing yourself to have them. I think it would be short lived.

I definitely think you should try and incorporate juice into your life though if its the only way you can get the goodness, but please eat meals too, even if its just one a day :)
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    So I've gathered (based on information posted here and links you guys have provided me with) that detoxing is a silly idea. Hey, that's cool, man. I'm just trying to be the best version of myself I can be and sometimes I'm wrong... possibly more than sometimes. Is the idea of juicing for the pure fact of getting such a large amount of veg in my day still such an abhorrent idea? Genuine question.
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options
    So I've gathered (based on information posted here and links you guys have provided me with) that detoxing is a silly idea. Hey, that's cool, man. I'm just trying to be the best version of myself I can be and sometimes I'm wrong... possibly more than sometimes. Is the idea of juicing for the pure fact of getting such a large amount of veg in my day still such an abhorrent idea? Genuine question.

abhorrent - ok that word is way to big for me.. :-)
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

I think adding veggies any way you can is an awesome idea. I just don't understand the detox part. You seem very level headed. I'm sure you will find your way and be very successful. Thanks for answering my questions. I was honestly curious. :drinker: